HELP!!!! Clueless with chords

grace_slick

• Members

Ok, I'm trying to play around with Sock Puppet Massacre, an unfinished song of mine, and I am trying to work out what the chords I have used are, but cannot find them anywhere!!

Can anyone tell me what these notes equate to in terms of the chords they are?? (piano) I've put like, octave 2 or 3 in there too, in case that makes a difference.

Thank you SO much!!! :love:

A#, G, D# (oct 3)

G, D#, C (oct 3)

D (oct 3), A#, G (oct 2)

D (oct 3), A#, E (oct 2)

• Members

Well, if you played an F instead of an E in that last chord, it would be Bb. Since the E is one half step lower than F (which is the 5 in Bb) you can represent that as a flat(b)5. If the harmonic center is closer to the previous Gm the chord could be Gm6.

• Moderators

Thank you, kind sir. I feel guilty and like I shouldn't be writing songs if I know so little about chords.
:(
Feels like a little kid who wants to paint like Picasso but he can barely hold the paint brush yet!

"I feel guilty and like I shouldn't be writing songs"

Don't feel guilty.

What we bring to our art is different from the next guy. Any knowledge or intuition you possess is most likely lacking in me. And visa-versa. Take what you hear in your head, and do your best to share it. Just like you have been doing.

Feel free to keep learning along the way, but don't let your current state of knowledge effect your future opportunities to express yourself and share.

Side note: I work with a fully trained visual artist. He's working (and bored stiff) in data and I'm doing all the visual arts in our branch of the company. I'm an audio guy. I don't (or didn't) know anything about design or video. Sometimes... I feel guilty. But the fact is, he knows "the chords" but doesn't really do much with them. I do.

Same in your case, Grace.

• Members

I'm so clueless about what chords are called on the guitar unless I figure it all out the hard way that I begged our invaluable forum semi-regular Eddie Boston to give us a variation on his Chorderator software and website that would tell us just what chord we were playing if we plugged the finger positions in on a virtual keyboard. That became his Chord Designer (that Ram mentioned above, which you can find from the Chorderator main page, if you forget).

• Members

Yeah I agree :-) Why did they decide on those natural steps?? And everyone else with the sharps and flats? I'm trying to teach my 7 year old son about it (slowly...) The first thing I taught him is "there is no H" :-) And I'm trying to get him to be able to go through it and know where the natural half steps are. When you think about it logically it really doesn't make sense they way they did it. I never really thought about it before.

Poor little guy, I had him today and he took a pretty good shot to the head at the playground, and then later that day at the monkey joes, caught an elbow to the schnozola :-( He looked like he'd been in a car wreck when I took him back to his mother... I'm surprised the cops haven't been here yet actually.

• Members

Oh no! lol Your poor boy! He'll be fine of course. I remember I used to actually think it was a really good and impressive day if I DIDN'T fall over. I think when I finally could get to a record of 5 consecutive days without falling over, that was a cool time for me. lol

• Moderators

stuff. Also, they should have made the staff system about 20 times less nutty.

:)

But it's really not nutty. What's so cool about it is that you can think in "C". In C, there are no flats or sharps. So it enables you to think in C. When I hear a tune I like to "think in C". Like guys do with I, IV, V, VII... etc. I do it in C. At that point, any sharp or flat really means something. A note not "in C".

Once you get that... the sharps and flats of other keys are less cumbersome.

Anyway, try thinking in C when listening without an instrument at hand.

• Members

I'm pretty good at figuring out what the chords are. But that doesn't happen while I'm writing. I write a bunch in alternate tunings (on guitar). And when I write, I'm moving fingers around and finding sounds I like. I don't have a clue what they are when I find them. I don't ever figure them out unless I'm going to play them with somebody else. And that's rare.

Even when i play in standard tuning, I like to move fingers around and get interesting (to my ears) dis-chords that I feel give a song more character. I occasionally have said, "If you hear me play a straight chord, it's a mistake." (apologies to Ben Hogan. )

Naming chords is important when you are playing with other people. Music notation is a language to describe music to others. It's NOT music. Music is sound.

• Members

"If you hear me play a straight chord, it's a mistake." Hey, don't ask don't tell :-) I play mostly straight chords, but I like music that doesn't? It's just what I hear, plain, boring, missionary, me on top get it over quick, formulaic straight chord songs. But hey? That's what makes the world go round, different strokes :-)

• Members

I was kinda kidding -- but when I was first learning, I honestly felt like the whole thing was contrived in such a way as to make it much more difficult and unintuitive than it had to be as an exclusionary tactic -- and I genuinely think there was some of that, just as with any jargon (I had already studied the evolution of guilds ;) ).

But, now, after a little study of the history of notation and temperaments and development of modern harmonic concepts, I see it simply evolved. It's basically a system of kludges that has been made to have a structural coherence while almost utterly defying any attempt at deriving the schema from its notation. IOW, if don't make no stinkin' sense but it works.

Archived