What are the most important features of a song?

rsadasiv

• Members

It depends on the songs.

Some songs are just brilliant melodies like "Changing of the guards" or "Wish you were here", others are just brilliant arrangements like "I Want You (she's so heavy)" (poor pentatonic melody repeated all the time, but such a brilliant song), some are just an extraordinary chord progression like the Jobim's bossa novas (the melodies are childish but the chords are unbelievably sophsticated and make the melody shine) , others are just a guitar riff like any AC/DC song, Smoke on the Water or Brown Sugar, others are just a mix of rythms like Cold Sweat. They are all master pieces.

Some have one chord (Better Run through the Jungle) others have too many like "Round Midnight".

Don't use rules, just talent!

• Members

It seems like there are as many reasons to like good songs as there are good songs. For me it's impossible to narrow such a thing down, but here are a couple rough ideas:

Progression - When a song starts off a certain way ands up going in totally different directions that expected (pretty much anything by Circulatory System).

Atmosphere - Some songs may not progress very much but have a HEAVY atmosphere or sense of place (David Sylvian "River Man", Cocteau Twins "Five Ten Fiftyfold" or anything by Woven Hand).

• Members

I would have to say in this case the main hook is lyrical, but the melody is the bass line riff repeated, which is also a decent secondary hook. A melody doesn't have to be in the treble clef, or have more than a couple of notes.

I dig that tune.

Archived