Feel like I have a finite supply of creativity

TenDerFlames

• Members

How do you get the cajones to call yourself a songwriter when you feel like you've exhausted your talent?

And I use the word "talent" loosely. It's funny - I sometimes hear something I've done and then put it on a pedestal as my personal best or whatever. I make it into more than what it is, and then I can't really create new stuff.

It must be the nature of the mind to let creativity flow and then immediately try to nail it down. I feel its like molten cheese, the type you use for nachos. A fresh patch bubbles up and then immediately coats over until the next billow breaks it up.

But being a security-minded individual, a career demanding creativity freaks me out as being "the unknown."

• Members

Well, we are creatures of limits, everything from lifespan to brain cells. Beating up on yourself for being human is... well, pretty human. ;) But still not very productive, often as not, at least not for this human.

We're all different, of course, but frustration and exasperation aren't usually very fertile creative grounds for me. But by the inverse token (aka, flipside), one can let oneself get out of the 'creative habit,' too.

Like you, sometimes I find myself listening to an older tune, a vocal, a guitar solo, something, and thinking, Man, I'll never nail something like that again...

But, instead, I should probably be using that highpoint to 'prove' to myself that I am capable of producing something I'm actually proud of. Sure, maybe I was at or near a performance peak -- but it wasn't a completely out-the-blue accident, a complete fluke. It came out of who I am and my capabilities.

It's easy to get discouraged, easy to beat oneself up. Sometimes you have to rise above the easy and remind yourself that you really are capable of creating stuff that makes you proud -- and really believe it. When you're discouraged, for sure, it can be hard to override your feelings of discouragement and despair but the very same past works you might use to beat yourself up could just as surely be used to convince yourself that you are capable.

We never really know if our best work is still ahead of us -- someone else's grand piano might break free from a hoist and come crashing down on us as we walk along the sidewalk -- but the potential to better one's past work is always there. Sometimes we just have to remind ourselves...

• Members

Drive kills my creativity. Too much pressure. A career in music is just not for me. I tried once, but all the pressure to produce material paralyzed me. Now after all that's over, I can create without any problems.

I don't believe there is a limit to creativity. There's no limit to the ways in which humans can interpret nature.

• Members

Drive isn't just about career... it's about deciding to reach for the prize - whatever it is, the perfect song, a record deal, a coffee house gig, - and going after it with consistent energy and zest, even when you ain't feeling the spark. If you're not driven your approach to a creative pursuit you're just being lazy and counting on luck - that's no way to be successful in any endeavor.

• Members

Yeah, drive to me = the urge to make more songs. The desire to want success, fame, a steady job in music, etc, is separate to the drive to keep making music and creating. Creative talent alone means nothing (in terms of real life tangible things) if you don't have the drive to keep creating.

I don't think anyone's creativity is finite. Not at all. As long as we keep living, being open to experiences, observations, introspection and thought, there's always gonna be something to create that comes out of us. We're all unique with our own perspectives on things.

My mild concern along these lines is that (a) I won't be able to EXPRESS my creativity how I really want, through lack of talent and skill, and (b) I'll end up doing too many songs that sound similar cause I'm NOT that creative maybe, underneathe.

• Moderators

You feel like you have a finite supply of creativity?

I think you're putting too much worth on your output. It's just an idea. It's just a song, a tune, a riff, a lyric. Get used to being a mechanism for output. Turn it on, spit it out.

It is not "God's Word". It's just you and some ideas. Spit it out, shine it up, move along.

Archived