Synonyms for "reading between the lines"

DukeOfBoom

• Members

in some lyrics I am writing, i'm trying to express the concept that person A is "trying to read between the lines when there is nothing to be read"

This phrase is pretty clunky so I'm looking for synonyms for "read between the lines" This has been bugging me all day but I can't find any synonyms - I seem to remember something like "searching for straws", but I think that's a figment of my imagination because google doesn't reveal anyone else who writes that this might be synonymous with "reading between the lines."

• Members

UPDATE

DukeOfBoom and I have had a long talk and I think he understands the nature of the SW forum a fair bit better now. With the understanding that he's rethought some issues and is going to make a sincere effort to fit into the existing forum culture, I'm glad to be able to welcome him back.

I well understand that there have been some insensitive comments and hurt feelings along the way but the Duke assures me he's going to try to be more empathetic and hopefully err on the side of kindness in the future.

We can help him in that effort by letting bygones be bygones.

:)

• Members

A drowning man will clutch at straw

The trodden upon worm still turns in rage

The blind will read between the lines

With not a single word on the page

That's pretty good, Lee. Did you just spin that up? It seems pretty timeless. In fact, it's so timeless sounding, I just googled it to try to make sure it wasn't some famous quote I'd somehow missed. (My mind was on this blonde two rows over and a few seats up pretty much through all of 18th century lit.)

PS... think the flow would be better if it was upon the page... :D

• Moderators

That's pretty good, Lee. Did you just spin that up? It seems pretty timeless. In fact, it's so timeless sounding, I just googled it to try to make sure it wasn't some famous quote I'd somehow missed. (My mind was on this blonde two rows over and a few seats up pretty much through all of 18th century lit.)

PS... think the flow would be better if it was
upon
the page...
:D

I just strung together two ye ole English sayings to set up the rhyme. :) Then twisted one for the third and wrote the forth. Upon! You're right.

For what it's worth, I like Mr. Boom.

• Members

Or maybe you can spin off the grasping at straws thing, Duke. Use the existing phrase as a jumping off point. Or invert it somehow.

That said, sometimes its tricky subverting/inverting a cliche that most folks understand on a practical basis but aren't aware of the original/actual meaning.

I think I'd been hearing just the "grasping at straws" part of the phrase for years as a kid and always knew what folks meant in context but had no idea that it was all about a drowning man grasping at straws. It's the danger of stepping into a culture already in motion... ;)

When I first heard it, I know I thought it was about grasping at soda straws. Honest. My old man was filled with all kinds of archaic expressions -- many of which he'd already subverted without telling me, since, like my grandfather before him, he loved wordplay and puns. He'd mix it all up and I grew up having no idea what was an actual cliche and what was one of my dad's sometimes fairly twisted reinterpretations of them.

• Members

Well these are the rough draft lyrics i scrawled out the other day. lots of work is needed

the plot is this: it's a dude, who's cheating on the girl, but he's denying it, and then he's trying to convince her that her suspicions are ruining the relationship!!! a brilliant tactic!!!! turn the tables on her, baby!!!!

Stop, hey, wait, let

• Members

UPDATE

I well understand that there have been some insensitive comments and hurt feelings along the way but the Duke assures me he's going to try to be more empathetic and hopefully err on the side of kindness in the future.

This is gonna be a tall order, but I will try!

• Members

So, reading between the lines, is rather the act of implication, or inference/deduction... So how can we say this without stumbling back into cliches, or getting into fancy-pants poetry :) (No offence Lee, I actually like fancy pants poetry and do have a couple of years of an unfinished english degree, but I was more in tune with becoming a university dropout for a couple of years).

So we could go with something about "reading more than you should", or catching lies that just aren't there... Even perhaps a direct first person phrasing such as "Don't you just get it? You're the one for me". Which if she really got it, would play how bad a lie the second half is.

It's tough sometimes when trying to escape a cliche, without getting too abstract.

• Members

So, reading between the lines, is rather the act of implication, or inference/deduction... So how can we say this without stumbling back into cliches, or getting into fancy-pants poetry
(No offence Lee, I actually like fancy pants poetry and do have a couple of years of an unfinished english degree, but I was more in tune with becoming a university dropout for a couple of years).

So we could go with something about "reading more than you should", or catching lies that just aren't there... Even perhaps a direct first person phrasing such as "Don't you just get it? You're the one for me". Which if she really got it, would play how bad a lie the second half is.

It's tough sometimes when trying to escape a cliche, without getting too abstract.

yes, that's the idea!!!

the 1st verse is Mr Boom saying that yes, you know, maybe he got a little close to a strange girl, but that it wasn't sexual

the 2nd verse is Mr Boom telling Ms Boom she means so much to him and that all her suspicions about his infidelity are starting to ruin the relationship

the booms are not related to the Duke, it should be noted.

the chorus is basically succintly reiterating these points

and the whole song is a tactical lie/denial designed assist social survival!!!! these sorts of elaborate relationship deceptions make for more interesting songs than "oh i love you!!!! la la la love you!!!" bleh, that stuff makes me puke.

not trying to be too artsy or poetic, just to get the point across.

• Moderators

Madeleine, Madeleine (or josphine?)

You're reading b/w the lines where there's nothing to read

I like that^. I think you're getting to the point right there.

Sometimes when I get stuck, I'll work backward with a rhyme dictionary. So, the word read is an obvious target. "Agreed"?

Madeleine, Madeleine , I thought we agreed

You read the lines when there's nothing to read

Ghosts in the shadows where there's nothing to see

I like your initial direction for the chorus. Sort of a plea. Hey, there's another rhyme! Or not... :) Anyway, what I'm saying is, I happen to like "You're reading b/w the lines where there's nothing to read" or some variation of it. I think it says what you want to say.

• Members

the plot is this: it's a dude, who's cheating on the girl, but he's denying it, and then he's trying to convince her that her suspicions are ruining the relationship!!! a brilliant tactic!!!! turn the tables on her, baby!!!!

I like the twist. Sounds like Elvis' "Suspicious Minds"--

So if an old friend I know

Stops in to say hello,

Why do I see suspicion in your eyes?

We can't go on together

With suspicious minds

etc.

• Members

None taken. I'm not a fan of it at all and was just having a go.

I like that^. I think you're getting to the point right there.

Sometimes when I get stuck, I'll work backward with a rhyme dictionary. So, the word read is an obvious target. "Agreed"?

You read the lines when there's nothing to read

Ghosts in the shadows where there's nothing to see

I like your initial direction for the chorus. Sort of a
plea.
Hey, there's another rhyme! Or not...
Anyway, what I'm saying is, I happen to like "You're reading b/w the lines where there's nothing to read" or some variation of it. I think it says what you want to say.

yes, these are good tips.

i found the scrap that i scribbled the chorus on last night. i had written:::

madeleine madeleine

you're reading b/w the lines where theres nothing to read

madeline madeleine

your turning something small into something more

i'm working on a groove in Bm that i'm not quite happy with yet for the verse. haven't even figured what the music for the chorus is gonna be like yet tho. i think when I figure out the harmony, the direction of the chorus lyrics will be better defined.

the two things i'm working on right now that are taking most of my time is converting from sonar to Reaper, which runs a lot better, faster, and is more customizable, and also finishing up a black-flag influenced punk track. then i'll get around to working on the madeleine tune.

• Members

I like the twist. Sounds like Elvis' "Suspicious Minds"--

yeah i guess, never heard that song before i just looked it up on youtube tho. i mean, suspicions are pretty common in relationships. and turning the tables is simply a mode of self-preservation. it's better to not get caught tho!

• Members

yeah i guess, never heard that song before i just looked it up on youtube tho. i mean, suspicions are pretty common in relationships. and turning the tables is simply a mode of self-preservation. it's better to not get caught tho!

I was mulling over the concept too today, from this thread -- forcing the issue so one isn't the guilty party in a relationship that's gone astray... I mean purposely throwing suspicion and doubt, and then forcing the uncomfortable question to the other party, "Don't you still love me?"...:evil:

An interesting idea indeed...

• Members

I was mulling over the concept too today, from this thread -- forcing the issue so one isn't the guilty party in a relationship that's gone astray... I mean purposely throwing suspicion and doubt, and then forcing the uncomfortable question to the other party, "Don't you still love me?"...
:evil:

An interesting idea indeed...

well, it's a good tool to have in one's toolbox IMO.

• Members

Madeleine, Madeleine, I thought we agreed

But your suspicion keeps blind siding me.

Madeleine, Madeleine, why can't you see

what your inference is doing to us?

yeah yeah, that's pretty good. "us" doesn't really flow tho, and "me" doesn't work well in the context. tough indeed.

Archived