Friday Influences Thread 01-07-11!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post what has influenced you as a songwriter either this past week, or anytime in the past. For me...

[video=youtube;05cJgEcIkvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05cJgEcIkvA

I And Love And You

Load the car and write the note

Grab your bag and grab your coat

Tell the ones that need to know

We are headed north

One foot in and one foot back

But it don't pay, to live like that

So i cut the ties and i jumped the tracks

For never to return

Ah Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in

Are you aware the shape I'm in

My hands they shake my head it spins

When at first I learned to speak

I used all my words to fight

With him and her and you and me

Oh but its just a waste of time

Yeah its such a waste of time

That woman shes got eyes that shine

Like a pair of stolen polished dimes

She asked to dance I said it's fine

I'll see you in the morning time

Are you aware the shape im in

Three words that became hard to say

I and love and you

What you were then, I am today

Look at the things I do

Are you aware the shape I'm in

Dumbed down and numbed by time and age

Your dreams to catch the world, the cage

The highway sets the travelers stage

All exits look the same

Three words that became hard to say

I and love and you

I and love and you

I and love and you

• Members

[video=youtube;T_d-EOnHyi4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_d-EOnHyi4&feature=related

This is from Lanois` 2003 album Shine. The song is called "I Love You". I just love the yearning and longing in this song which is inspiring to many of my songs of late. Lanois is a genius in my opinion and these solo records really display how talented he is.

• Members

Just a great lyrical hook. One line, four words (expanding the contraction) and you have already established a whole situation: two characters, separated ("Hello") but familiar (me with no antecedent), their relationship is not currently intimate (he needs the pronoun - "Hey babe" would be very different) but with a shared history ("Hello, it's Todd" or "Hello, this is Todd Rundgren" would imply a very different level of familiarity). It also gives the song a nice "meta" quality - the implicit introduction of the song to the listener plays out in the explicit introduction of the narrator to the person on the other end of the phone.

Not crazy about the rest of the Todd's lyric - I think Raymond Carver does a much better job with the conceit in "Where I'm Calling From":

I won't raise my voice. Not even if she starts something. She'll ask me where I'm calling from, and I'll have to tell her. I won't say anything about New Year's resolutions. There

• Members

[i posted this Wednesday in Craig A's forum.]

Fretless bass wizard Mick Karn, who first became well known as the funky but sinuous bass player who made Japan not just another 70s glam-funk band, and later went on to to play with notables like Peter Murphy (in Dali's Car) and guitar soundscape wizard David Torn (joining drummers like Bill Bruford and Terry Bozio), has died at 52 in his home in Chelsea, England, after a battle with cancer.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/01/mick_karn_rip.php

RIP, Mr Karn.

[video=youtube;zKg3QyHF70U]

[video=youtube;FWTLgBkw5fI]

• Members

EDIT: I originally had an RIP Mick Karn post without seeing B2B's first.

He will be sorely missed. His work on Masami Tsuchiya's album is also legendary. He's one of the few musicians who's playing I can tell out of a crowd a mile away.

R.I.P.

• Members

OOoooh ! ! !

I got my e-copy of Folk Alley. It's got a link to a new album you/me/we can listen fo free for a few days from Abigail Washburn. Soes I listens towit today. . . . , And it's fabulous. I feel influenced.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/26/131905820/first-listen-abigail-washburn-city-of-refuge

I particularly love "Burn Thru."

"Hey I'm trying so hard

To see the light

To see the light

To see it burn thru

Hey, aye, aye.

I'm not going down with the rest of you.

I'm not going down like you want me to."

• Members

TMJzMiiRWfc

I may have posted this here before--it seems like the lyric has come up in the past, at least. I was learning this as a possible addition to the band's set, and it struck me how influenced I am by Chuck Berry as a writer. This song, in particular, is the pinnacle of his style--motor-mouthed, tons of words, but not one wasted syllable, and tons of strikingly beautiful language throughout.

In the clip above, Chuck changes my favorite bit, "and I was campaign shouting like a Southern diplomat" to "... Georgia Democrat". I imagine he had to change it originally to broaden the songs appeal, but I've always loved the inanity of the original. You don't campaign (at least in the literal sense) to be a diplomat, and what's a "Southern diplomat", anyway? As far as I know, there aren't any embassies in Arkansas.

• Moderators

I may have posted this here before--it seems like the lyric has come up in the past, at least. I was learning this as a possible addition to the band's set, and it struck me how influenced I am by Chuck Berry as a writer. This song, in particular, is the pinnacle of his style--motor-mouthed, tons of words, but not one wasted syllable, and tons of strikingly beautiful language throughout.

In the clip above, Chuck changes my favorite bit, "and I was campaign shouting like a Southern diplomat" to "... Georgia Democrat". I imagine he had to change it originally to broaden the songs appeal, but I've always loved the inanity of the original. You don't campaign (at least in the literal sense) to be a diplomat, and what's a "Southern diplomat", anyway? As far as I know, there aren't any embassies in Arkansas.

One of my all-time, favorite lyrics.

• Moderators

Plan B. Brit Soul Rap. Just saw them on the Euro Music Awards. Solid soul players but young and influenced by rap. A little Marvin, a little Marshall Mathers, a little Craig David. Gary Puckett underage lust even. Live he just flips from falsetto soul to rap flow. Very cool.

[video=youtube;q5lGCXiTHaY]

[video=youtube;K4s5eKdheCM]

[video=youtube;rQjh9H-ymK4]

Archived