So can everyone do it?

samuraiBSD

• Members

Is it possible that there are some people who just don't have "the spark"? When I say "spark", I mean the thing that goes beyond technical knowledge of a good song, like structure, lyrical devices and so on, and adds the human aspect -- the feelings and the actual creative details. As far as my definition goes, the "spark" is what puts a part of the writer into the song. Do some people not have this? What's your opinion?

Thanks, everyone.

• Members

Well, I think different things come easier for different people, without any question.

Still... I think where there is the will, a way can be found.

I know my parents and I were told by several different music educators that I had "no musical talent whatsoever" and that trying to teach me anything would be a waste of time and money. And they weren't coming from nowhere on that. I had a great deal of difficulty learning music -- and have never been able to memorize even simple pieces without an enormous amount of effort and repetition. (And my brain both reels and rails at that repetition. I get extremely agitated and the more I try to memorize something, the worse I typically get at playing it, at least on the short scale.)

But, somehow, I found a way to learn music on my own, with virtually no help from conventional educational materials or lessons.*

It wasn't until I was 20 and had completely written off the Mel Bays, etc, of this world (then as now)... and it was truly a struggle. But I got much farther than I ever would have dreamed. Even though I still find it enormously difficult to memorize a simple melody, I have considerable facility at improvising (I'm not saying I'm good -- but I'm relatively facile :D ) and a much deeper grasp on technique than I ever imagined was possible. (Still no great shakes, but not a clumsy loser, necessarily, either. ;) )

*Interestingly, no help from conventional educators or their books and lessons but enormous help from a single ~30 minute lesson on rudimentary music theory from my buddy who had been the lead guitarist in the coolest (strike that, the only cool) band at my high school, Blue Shift, a hardcore acid rock band named for the shift in light frequency by galaxies moving away from the earth. [EDIT/correction: as will soon be pointed out, that's moving toward/closer.]

(My pal was a full professor of chemistry at a good school last time I checked. I wonder if they ever wonder what drew him to chemistry. I believe I know. Ah... the 60s. :D )

• Members

I believe that in the field of music there are practitioners, craftsmen, and artists. There's a whole lot more of the first two than the last one. Most people, with a little bit of training, could learn to hold a tune or craft a basic song. Artists are different in that even with a tiny bit of training they could create something that far exceeds their education level. In many cases an artist can create high level work with no training at all.

There are also those rare geniuses, but we only get probably one of those per century. Genius level creativity is independent of epoch or geography. If Bach or Mozart was given an MPC, a couple turntables, and a Macbook Pro he'd still be able to produce something most musicians couldn't even imagine.

In closing I could say "Either ya got it, or ya don't", but in the end there's room for everyone of all backgrounds and skill-sets in music.

• Members

Blue shift would be caused by the universe contracting, red shift (the observed phenomenon) is caused by the universe expanding.

Well, the lesson was music theory... :D

Sorry. I actually knew that. I mean, practically everyone knows it... At the bottom, infrared/heat. At the top, ultraviolet. I just didn't stop to think about what I was writing. Which is worse, in some ways, than not knowing. :facepalm:

• Members

I worked at it for 10-15 years before I was able to write a song I was proud of (granted, I started when I was 12 or so). I took music lessons from kindergarten through high school, including 6 years in the school band, and none of my instructors thought I had any musical ability. I couldn't tune my guitar for the first couple years I played it, much less sing in tune. I'm pretty happy with my writing, playing, and singing nowadays--I don't know if it's because of improvement or acceptance, tho.

• Members

I believe that in the field of music there are practitioners, craftsmen, and artists. There's a whole lot more of the first two than the last one. Most people, with a little bit of training, could learn to hold a tune or craft a basic song. Artists are different in that even with a tiny bit of training they could create something that far exceeds their education level. In many cases an artist can create high level work with no training at all.

There are also those rare geniuses, but we only get probably one of those per century. Genius level creativity is independent of epoch or geography. If Bach or Mozart was given an MPC, a couple turntables, and a Macbook Pro he'd still be able to produce something most musicians couldn't even imagine.

In closing I could say "Either ya got it, or ya don't", but in the end there's room for everyone of all backgrounds and skill-sets in music.

+1

Very succinctly put!

• Members

I was twelve years old when I got a guitar. Never took any lessons....never learned much theory. But when I got to my mid-twenties I started to feel an insatiable urge to write. It was, and still is, like there is something inside me that needs to get out.

Is that the spark to which you refer?

I have played with a lot of folks who wrote songs as well as performing covers. I can only think of a few right now who's songs seemed to come from that fiery place inside.

• Members

I wonder if I have the spark. I DO get inspired, and more and more lately if I can't get my music out, I find myself getting very agitated and unhappy and frustrated...it's as if ants are crawling all over me, but on the inside (ugh, hideous image there).

But I don't WORK at it...when I'm writing a song, it's not work to me, it's fun, but when I say I don't work at it I mean I don't put the effort in to learn the technical, engineering side, or to play instruments better...does that mean I don't have the spark?

• Members

I wonder if I have the spark. I DO get inspired, and more and more lately if I can't get my music out, I find myself getting very agitated and unhappy and frustrated...it's as if ants are crawling all over me, but on the inside (ugh, hideous image there).

But I don't WORK at it...when I'm writing a song, it's not work to me, it's fun, but when I say I don't work at it I mean I don't put the effort in to learn the technical, engineering side, or to play instruments better...does that mean I don't have the spark?

You have the basic tools for songwriting and recording. You also have that jam band thing which is just like a full band BUT you direct every chord, change etc. so it's better in ways than having to work with finnicky band members lol....and they are never late or drunk or dramatic.....

• Members

same here @grace_slick its like i HAVE to get it out. at least in my life there are a lot of daily distractions that can knock my confidence in my songwriting ability, especially on the artistic side... but hell i'm optimistic so i'm saying yes we absolutely have the spark, it just can't be on alllll the time :)

just start asking yourself "why?" when you hear something you like. why does this work here? listening to the radio is a good place to learn some tricks and tools for songwriting/production.

• Members

who has the spark to PAINT? SKETCH? SCULPT? DO ART? I cannot paint. I cannot draw. so no spark there. I do however express myself. ..Music is art. Music is highly subjective(ah so!) I also do sculptures with metal and fire. .

But do I have the Music spark? Hail yeah! I like to read and rite short stories. So I write short stories and set them to music. I have been writing music stories since i was twelve. been writing other short stories for even longer. I have a spark for the written word. I can jump all over a pianner. People freak and bounce when I jam. Why? cause I'm an artist. I feel drawn to music.

I am a muso. Why?

just a trick of my brain.

everyone has a spark. you must finde yours.

• Members

Hmm. Cool post. I have found mine. I love music, always have, just never thought I could actually do it. I was too busy imitating everyone else and being lazy.

I'm in trouble. I love a girl I have never seen. I like her voice. I like her jams. I like her words. I am damned. To for ever love a misty theme a wild spark this seems a dream. I am awake a nightmares kiss bring me to oz a lovers wish...

Archived