Peavey Transtube Supreme 100 watt head info or opinion

Invader.CC

• Members

Im going to look at a Peavey Transtube supreme 100 watt head that my nephew would like me to look at for his first non practice amp..It is a 100 watt head that appears to be in real good condition ..The guy is asking a $100 for it..

As i do when ever im looking at something i don't know much about. I ask for peoples opinions that have experience with the gear im looking at..

I think the biggest thing for me is going to be not being prejudice against this amp as im more into Marshalls and Fender Pure tube amps ..My nephew is about a 2 year player with slightly above average skill for a 2 year player..As of now he plays a lot of classic and modern rock...Think Seven Mary Three,Three Doors Down,Creed ,Nickelback plus the standard classic stuff Nugent ,Led Zepplin,EVH,Bon Jovi ,Motley Crue,GnR I think you all get the idea..My main questions are what type of music is this amp best suited for and how does it work with pedals?Is it dependable?Do you feel it is a good value at $100?Thanks for any help you can give..

• Members

I have one of the early 100w heads here. It is a surprisingly decent amp. The clean channel gets a nice overdrive cranked loud. The dirt channel can be dialed in to work pretty well for a lot of different types of noise.

There are lots of better amps, but, you won't find them for $100, IMO. For a 100w SS amp, it is very good.

For that kind of money, it is a pretty good choice, IMO. Definitely plenty loud, that is for sure.

If i had to use mine(it just sits waiting these days) i would probably aim to use it with some good OD/boost pedals, probably on the clean channel, which really can make a good sound.

-chris

• Members

I used to play with a supreme XL. It was an awesome solid state bit of gear. I used to tour with it over a series 1 dual rec.

The cleans were very clean, but warm and responsive

The drive channel was great for high gain stuff, not great for moderate gain as it sounded pretty modern, but it was still pretty flexible.

• Members

For $100 bucks go for it. If he doesn't lie it after a while you could easily ditch it and probly make a profit. Chances are, he won't even be able to tell the difference between the peavey's tone and all tube tone. It takes time to develope an ear for tone. Not saying your nephew doesn't have a good ear but most younger players don't. On another point, whatever he gets now he will probably grow out of shortly and want something else. Besides what else are you going to find for $100? For that price i wouldn't be aposed to picking one up for myself.

Archived