HIDE YOUR CHILDREN. COVER YOUR EARS. THE DUKE'S SONIC CANDY IS HERE!!!!

DukeOfBoom

• Members

HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!

COVER YOUR EARS!!!!!!!!!!

THE DUKE'S SONIC CANDY IS HERE!!!!!!!!!

• Members

This is by far your best work so far, Duke. At least from what I've heard.

I can almost see this on my playlist man, but the guitar solo is kinda meh. Your lyrics and voice are all angry and well, I'd expect the solo to be an outburst, not a calm, almost soothing slowish melody.

• Members

Cool Richard Hell vibe going on, with a nice punky lyrical pattern set up and followed. I don't really like like the Nah nah nah bit--didn't that just show up in a Pink song?

I kind of like the shift in the feel brought on by the guitar solo. It definitely takes the mood down a notch, but that's not such a bad thing. The lyrics on the bridge need some tightening. You've got a nice tight rhythm through the verse and chorus, but the meter of the bridge is really clunky and awkward.

• Members

Good work Duke. Not my type of music but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The instruments are very very good - even the solo (sorry Shadowdusk :D ) .

The writing is pretty standard (what I would call) punk rock, but has a freshness brought forth by your unique style. Standard in that it's thrashing but not boring.

The nana's are too close to that famous song Danc of the 7 Veils or whatever that was from the 50/60's. I really like the idea of a nana part - it can become a giant sing along/sig phrase, I just think yours needs to be more unique.

So you posted at 2:45am - what is early and where are you going?

• Members

I really like the main song. It's got a nice Cramps-like hellbilly/surf-nightmare thing going on. The metallic guitar spikes it up, the lyrics are funny and on point, and the sing-along chorus is just right. But then a near-perfect little slice of punkish nescience jumps the shark in the kind of pro forma metal bridge. It's not that there's anything necessarily wrong with the bridge -- but it seems kind of of unnecessary at that point and a bit of a deflation from the hooky main song. Also, I had been thinking the song was directed at someone not of the target sex, but next thing we know, the singer is inside the object of his derision, which, well, implies a greater intimacy, at least on the physical level. It's not that it necessarily undercuts the song, meaning-wise, but it feels a bit late in the game for this particular revelation.

I think it would be a tighter, more enjoyable, nearly unassailable little package if you cut out the bridge and brought it down to the 2-1/2 to 3 minutes that God and the Muses clearly intended such songs to be... ;)

• Members

Thank you for the comments everyone. It is interesting to hear other people's perspectives on things.

The "na na na" part was ripped straight out of Wilson Pickett's 1000 Dances, even the drum groove, not from Pink as the Chicken Monkey pondered ;) It did come across as too "polished" compared to the rest of the track because the vox were tripled and the 'verb on each take. That made it sound more Pussycat Dolls than Pickett, unfortunately. However, I did that instead of a single take because my pitches were off and the multiple takes hid that. haha. But yes, I do intend for it to be a sing-along "na na na" type deal, and I suppose the way to do this would be the first time it's song is have one vox track, and the immediate next repetition would be to have the 3 overdubs.

The interlude/bridge appears to be the most controversial with folks either loving or hating it. I should probably polish the drum track and tighten the guitar and bass up during the bridge vox. For the simple fact that people either love it or hate it, I'm going to keep it in, because it least it gets people talking about it. As the old saying goes, it's better to be talked about badly behind your back then not at all.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Archived