Ok, so you've written a song, now what?

rockinrobby

• Members

I recently finished "In time." and when I say finished? I use that term loosely... I knew a guy from Helsinki? Everything he wrote was Finish? So I recently finished "In time." Yeah so I got an idea, I worked on it, wrote the words, and have a melody.

The next big and final step for me? Before recording, is I have to get "the grooooooove." Yeah baby! Groovy! The groove, or to me, "the feel." If I can't cop a feel for the song and get to 2nd base? To me the song will be "lifeless.." You know what I'm saying? I think you do.

For me, the way I get "groovy" is I play the song over a period of daze to weeks... I play it over and over, and I sing it. And when I'm not playing it? I'm playing it "in my head" while the voices aren't arguing "obviously."

And as part of this groove building process, I find that the song adjusts itself? It gets seated in to the groove. It finds itself? Again, I think most of you know what I'm saying. It's like a loaf of bread rising after it's been yeasted, and left in a warm place? Then once it's risen sufficiently? Once the yeast has done it's work (works well with beer too...) then at some point, the timer goes "DING!" and in your minds eye? You know that you're ready to record it. Am I alone in this? I know I'm a bit odd? I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences their song writing this way.

• Members

Yeah I know, that's the classic definition? I'm using it differently, referring to "the feel", perhaps I should have referred to it as such. But I'm talking about after it's written initially, playing it over and over, and in so doing, tweaking it slightly, and getting the feel for how it speaks to you, it's creator? I go through this process with every one of mine. And I don't really feel like it's mine until the process is complete. And it always changes subtly as I go through this groovification process.

• Members

record the tune and 'see" how it sounds. then play it out in as many places as you can finde. I sometimes finde the Played out version Has to be different from the recorded version.

Maybe shorten it to play out or something.

Finde a goode ending instead of a fade out.

figger out weather to do the low or high harmony note live...

rinse and repeat...

Archived