Questions about the Pioneer DJM-600.

MuzikB

• Members

From what I've read, this is something of the industry standard "House Music" mixer.

I'm just curious as to why. I'm planning on getting into DJing in a few months and I'm still looking over gear options.

Insight please?

• Members

I used a few in my life time and actually owned a used one for 8 months. It is ergonomically great (if you're into 12 inch mixers) and has effects up the ying yang but I found the sound quality to be acceptably good at best...not spectacularly great.

I sold mine to a club I worked and after 3 months of smoky treatment (7 nights a week), things started to go wrong. Buttons and faders started to malfunction and the sound was not that great.

If you have a budget, need the effects and plan to use it at home and maybe the occasional few gigs, I say get it. Otherwise, re-examine your priorities and shop around a little more. There are other mixers out there.

V.

• Members

My other consideration is the Rane Rotary Empath.

*drool*

If it's in your budget I wouldn't go any other way. Way better sound and build quality, and very friendly to outboard effects if you want those as well.

The Pio's are decent, but that's as far as I'd go. I'm not sure how they got to be so popular in the first place, but now they're probably used most frequently because everybody has gotten used to them.

• Members

The Pio's are decent, but that's as far as I'd go. I'm not sure how they got to be so popular in the first place, but now they're probably used most frequently because everybody has gotten used to them.

I say it was a profoundly good intersection of ergonomics, user friendliness and good marketing. Didn't they practically invent the 12 inch mixer format with the DJM500?

V.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Rane with serato built in is excellent. I currently have a DJM-600 but I desperately want to upgrade to the DJM-800. I don't like the way the effects work on the 600, although its definately a solid machine. Never had any problems with it, and i've had it for years and years. Also for 2 channels, check out the DJM-909, one of the best 2 channel mixers IMO

Archived