SO you wanna be a girl???????????

Taylor Davis

• Members

Already arranged and edited as a country flavored ditty, just waiting to record. this is a really odd tune for me. Wrote it after meeting a very confused guy. I purposely left off the word that rhymes with CHICK and I do not sing it either. just let the listeners "fill in the blanks".

So you wanna be a girl

you say you wanna be a girl

So you wanna be a girl

what in the world

and walk out into that cold dark night

and pick yourself up a ride

for fifty bucks a throw

So you wanna be a girl

So you wanna be a girl

what in the world

you say you feel like you a chick

oh man now ain't you gotta________

you say it all began in the county jail

just like a nightmare straight from hell

after lights out they beat you near in two

them big ol' bucks then had their way with you

and So you wanna be a girl

So you wanna be a girl

what in the world

you wanna go out somewheres in some high-heeled shoes

to feel what you can feel

then drank and drug your poor self to sleep

til it all don't seem real

So you wanna be a girl

what in the world

your gonna get yourself a party dress

and wear some make up too

cause you wanna be a girl

so that's what you gonna do

now maybe theres a group that's seen your day

to help you heal and get you through

you saw a shrink a priest and then you prayed

but you prayed to be a girl

So you wanna be a girl

what in the world

if your askin me then yes you can

maybe give a prayer a whirl

you don't wanna be a girl

so just pray to be a man

So you wanna be a girl

what in the world

• Members

oh man now but you have a dick

what an odd song.

yeah, odd. not as odd as you messin' my lyrics up.. LOL!.

it's got a cool rhyming scheme, goes in a few different directions.

lots of alliteration.

Near rhymes and exact rhymes.

tells a story. albeit a sad one.

only has three chords.

written and arranged in thirty minutes.

pop goes the mortor forkin weasel!..

• Members

yeah, odd. not as odd as you messin' my lyrics up.. LOL!.

it's got a cool rhyming scheme, goes in a few different directions.

lots of alliteration.

Near rhymes and exact rhymes.

tells a story. albeit a sad one.

only has three chords.

written and arranged in thirty minutes.

pop goes the mortor forkin weasel!..

oh man now ain't you just gonna click.

• Members

First, I want to point out to a couple of chronic abusers of this forum that they need to resist the urge to post even though they have nothing of value to say. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is getting sick of the nonsensical and often vulgar prattle from these individuals -- both of whom are under warning from the moderator here and possibly elsewhere. Since I've contacted them directly, I'll leave that at that.

As Grace notes in the first meaningful response to Taylor's song, the subject matter and feel of the lyrics have a walk-on-the-wild-side/glam sort of feel.

I seem to sense a struggle toward compassion, maybe of the tough-love variety, but that barely comes through here. The tone, instead, seems more confrontation and challenge -- and that apparent lack of real empathy or understanding seems to be driven home in the conclusion, which seems pat and unconvincing, I think, no matter what one's views on such a difficult subject may be.

A character study like this really needs to get inside the dilemma and complex, likely extremely conflicted feelings of its subject. But this song's emotional center never seems to stray outside the emotionally distant observations of the song's primary voice, who seems little interested in understanding the pain and confusion of the troubled individual at the heart of the song, but only interested in finding a platform for judgment and doctrinaire, unhelpful advice that such a person has probably heard a thousand times.

Since the subject of prayer figures heavily in the latter part of the song, I think, if I was face to face with the fictive narrator of the song, I would suggest to him that he really look at the teachings on compassion of Jesus (or the Buddha or Maimonides or others). Real compassion begins with empathy and understanding, not judgment and dismissal.

• Members

First, I want to point out to a couple of chronic abusers of this forum that they need to resist the urge to post even though they have nothing of value to say. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is getting sick of the nonsensical and often vulgar prattle from these individuals -- both of whom are under warning from the moderator here and possibly elsewhere. Since I've contacted them directly, I'll leave that at that.

As Grace notes in the first meaningful response to Taylor's song, the subject matter and feel of the lyrics have a walk-on-the-wild-side/glam sort of feel.

I seem to sense a struggle
toward
compassion, maybe of the tough-love variety, but that barely comes through here. The tone, instead, seems more confrontation and challenge -- and that apparent lack of real empathy or understanding seems to be driven home in the conclusion, which seems pat and unconvincing, I think, no matter what one's views on such a difficult subject may be.

A character study like this
really
needs to get inside the dilemma and complex, likely extremely conflicted feelings of its subject. But this song's emotional center never seems to stray outside the emotionally distant observations of the song's primary voice, who seems little interested in understanding the pain and confusion of the troubled individual at the heart of the song, but only interested in finding a platform for judgment and doctrinaire, unhelpful advice that such a person has probably heard a thousand times.

Since the subject of
prayer
figures heavily in the latter part of the song, I think, if I was face to face with the fictive narrator of the song, I would suggest to him that he really look at the teachings on compassion of Jesus (or the Buddha or Maimonides or others). Real compassion begins with empathy and understanding, not judgment and dismissal.

WOW! what a review of vast proportions. I had no idea this is such a touchy subject for you blue.

I mean the guy had tits, acted and sounded like a girl. . and was very sure of what he wanted.

I don't understand his reasons and while I feel bad for his affliction, understanding another persons reasoning is NOT for me to judge. he talked , I listened.

Who am I? just a man with all the doubts and fears that any mostly SANE person has.

Is the guy insane? who knows? a tragic event can unhinge even the most stouthearted among us.

Shows how finely tuned we are as a people.

thanks for lettin' me share. TD

• Members

Not a transgender person, myself. :D

But I have known several and their lot in life is not an easy one.

Anyhow, I hear you. But I was only talking about the song and what seemed like it might make it a stronger and more effective song that might draw on the same kind of feeling and big picture view as an "Eleanor Rigby." Judgments and condemnations are easy -- compassion is hard: that's what I was thinking as the song's narrator told his story.

Of course, perhaps you don't want the narrator to be sympathetic to the audience, or the song is simply directed to those who are already convinced that the narrator's point of view is the only correct one.

Obviously, it really depends on what one is trying to accomplish, artistically or agitprop-wise.

But my comments had assumed you were going for a character study sort of thing, rather than a polemic, so you should clearly factor that in. It may well negate my comments.

Also -- and this may be crucial to understanding my own comments -- I may have misread what I thought the narrative to be.

• Members

I re-read the lyrics and I can see where Blue's coming from in saying the tone isn't the most understanding or empathetic one.

The first time I read the words, I kind of glossed over that. I don't actually know any transgender people personally, but in "my community" (gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, etc, etc), it's sort of...I think if you're lucky enough (like I am, most of the time) to be confident in who you are and surrounded by other similar people or people who understand and know you, you do forget that you're not "normal" as classed by 80% of society. And so in that regard, I didn't notice the tone in the lyrics (if there was one intended. There may not have been)

But then, obviously if this person wants to be a girl and they're currently not...they're probably NOT exactly happy or confident in who they are NOW...so I would then think the lyrics being a bit confrontational may not be...well, NICE. But all songs don't have to be nice, do they? lol

Maybe the lyrics are coming from the point of view of the person him/herself. And they're annoyed at their own selves for feeling confused and wanting to be something they're not naturally...or something.

• Members

I re-read the lyrics and I can see where Blue's coming from in saying the tone isn't the most understanding or empathetic one.

The first time I read the words, I kind of glossed over that. I don't actually know any transgender people personally, but in "my community" (gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, etc, etc), it's sort of...I think if you're lucky enough (like I am, most of the time) to be confident in who you are and surrounded by other similar people or people who understand and know you, you do forget that you're not "normal" as classed by 80% of society. And so in that regard, I didn't notice the tone in the lyrics (if there was one intended. There may not have been)

But then, obviously if this person wants to be a girl and they're currently not...they're probably NOT exactly happy or confident in who they are NOW...so I would then think the lyrics being a bit confrontational may not be...well, NICE. But all songs don't have to be nice, do they? lol

Maybe the lyrics are coming from the point of view of the person him/herself. And they're annoyed at their own selves for feeling confused and wanting to be something they're not naturally...or something.

Like I just tolde my girlfriend; If I run oot of underwear then I'm going COMMANDO, meaning I ain't gonna put on a pair of hers. HA HA! LOL!

but seriously folkes, It's just a song. I ain't tryin' to change the world or anyones mindeset.

I just wished to show the EXTREMES that we as a people will go to when pressed and squeezed by lifes bad times.

that person in my tune was CRIPPLED by a traumatic event and will go on to STAY crippled instead of working out the hurt and pain of such an event.

It's kind of like: having a leg removed because of a terrible accident and going home and cutting off the other laig to "even things out " because " I didn't "feel" normal anymore with just one laig". is the person going to "feel better/normal" with NO laigs? Probably not.

Maybe this person will never feel totally normal missing a laig but maybe with support this person can learn to live with the tragedy and maybe hop their way to a new and satisfying life. .

• Members

THE song ended up being six minutes long. So I had to cut some out. When I do the next version I plan on keeping it around three minutes.

Got a free copy of AUDACITY and used an olde four track as my interface since my compy crashed and burned.

Used two condenser mics into the interface and got a nice strong siggy. one on the guitar and the other about two and a half feet away.

Kinda fun being able to record again. Took about ten takes to get what you hear. Just one track that I doubled and added reverb on one side. thanks for lettin' me share. TD

• Members

You know, this actually has the potential to be good. The melody is fine, and the flow is good too.

But my 2 cents is to rewrite the lyrics to something more accessible to the general population.

glad you enjoyed my tune.

as far as the lyrics go, the lyrics tell a story. change lyrics and the story goes away.

Listening to it I can hear many mistakes and not totally satisfied with the effort.

somebody likes it, got thirty plays and one download.

just one song of many.

recording is FUN!

Archived