Where can I find drum tracks?

Caveman Riddle

• Members

I am running a very small Pro Tools setup to record my original acoustic music, but I feel like my Les Paul is getting jealous. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find drum tracks for actual songs (ex. "If You Could Only See" by Tonic) plus random jam tracks, etc. Any help is appreciated!

• Moderators

Since you're running Pro Tools, or any DAW for that matter, you're best off getting used to cutting from loops. For natural sounding, very useful and utilitarian drums that I use all the time, this:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/drumtools

Then you grab a loop that's ground zero. Find variations in hat pattern and ride. Find fills from the same group. Get your tempo set in Pro Tools and stretch to fit your session tempo. Then cut and paste to your heart's content.

• Members

A little off topic for the SW forum, but a lot of us songwriter types aren't really drummers.

It's certainly true that learning how to write one's own beats can be helpful in the songwriting process.

I don't know about premade beat patterns for specific songs -- that's typically the kind of thing that people like to charge for -- but there are a large number of free MIDI drum sequences out there. Just as one can slice up audio loops in ACID or a DAW looping tool, MIDI drum sequences can be cut and pasted -- with the additional advantage that one can directly modify them and further have good examples to learn from.

• Moderators

A little off topic for the SW forum, but a lot of us songwriter types aren't really drummers.

It's certainly true that learning how to write one's own beats can be helpful in the songwriting process.

I don't know about premade beat patterns for specific songs -- that's typically the kind of thing that people like to charge for -- but there
are
a large number of free MIDI drum sequences out there. Just as one can slice up audio loops in ACID or a DAW looping tool, MIDI drum sequences can be cut and pasted -- with the additional advantage that one can directly modify them and further have good examples to learn from.

Yes. I got Twiddly Bit MIDI sequences the month they came out in the 90's. Handy.

And another thing? Just play in a midi sequence of a hit song. Program the main 1 or 2 bars pattern and copy. Then go about overwriting for fills and variations. It's a great way to start feeling song structure. Great drummers play song structure. "Why did he go to the ride??? Oh yeah... it's the chorus now".

So play it in one drum at a time if you have to and hard quantize if you have to. It really gets your head in there.

• Members

you should get a program like Addictive Drums or EZ Drummer. Much more versatile than loops, and sounds as good if not better.

Programming the straight beats is easy after a few screwups. Programming fills is a pain, which is why the MIDI libraries is so nice, because they have preprogrammed fills which helps out A LOT!!!!!!!!!

I like Addictive Drums. Ever since the 1.5 update, they have been GM-compatible, and they have a ton of really good sounding add-on packs, on-board FX, good support at their forum.

Then just fire up the ol step editor in your daw and start plunkin away.

Archived