Friday Influences Thread... 03-18-11 yep!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hey you! Come on in!!! Psst! You! New guy! New gal! Come here... hey...

What has influenced you? What went into making you... you? Musically. As an aspiring or well developed songwriter. Spill. Tell us. We really do want to know. Maybe it was this morning on your way into work. Maybe you were a kid...

With recent personal life events, my childhood memories have been resurfacing. I was in the back seat of our early 60's station wagon driving through the California Redwood Forest. Dad had on some easy listening musak. There on the right was a glorious Redwood grove. Giant, awesome, breathtaking. To the left, as we drove on the little 2 lane road, was a meadow... clear and open. I remember the details. Because...

Mom, bucking Dad's "The driver is king" rule, reached over to the AM and scanned the dial for some pop... for the kids. I was 6.

This came on and changed my life:

[video=youtube;ZCz5raJPh0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCz5raJPh0Q&feature=related

I still hear it like it was the first time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think I've heard any Lovin' Spoonful apart from well, y'know, that one everyone knows - I'm sure I don't need to spell it out. From that pic, did one of those guys go on to be a Ramone? :lol: Nice breezy 60's vibe going on here though.

As for me, let's move forward a decade. I can't really say these guys influenced me per se - well, yes they kinda did, but I've never been able to incorporate any of the things that I like about Television into my own stuff. However, just because I still love the album Marquee Moon after more than 3 decades, here they are:

jlbunmCbTBA

• Members

Songwriters I grew up with who grew up with me. Where each new album is like a Christmas card from an old friend; the kind that makes you remember all the good times you shared and reassures you that it's possible to come from where you came from and go through what you've gone through and still wind up as a fun and interesting person with something to say.

Paul Westerberg (1959 - )

Color Me Impressed - 1983

[video=youtube;VEwTMJTxVo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwTMJTxVo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwTMJTxVo0

My Dad - 2004

[video=youtube;MX4NKNJytUM]

Bob Mould (1960 - )

Whatever - 1984

[video=youtube;2qONLDwG1jg]

City Lights (Days Go By) - 2009

[video=youtube;q120QFODqw4]

Aimee Mann (1960 - )

Voices Carry - 1985

[video=youtube;uejh-bHa4To]

31 Today - 2008

[video=youtube;ijKjLkYl9zg]

• Members

Suzanne Vega (1959 - )

Marlene On The Wall - 1985

[video=youtube;tHZV7NOqEY4]

Frank & Ava - 2007

[video=youtube;6Rw_Ay-nwvE]

Jeff Tweedy (1967 - )

Graveyard Shift - 1990

[video=youtube;JKo_1rVClOk]

You Never Know - 2009

[video=youtube;QYpsGEiHemM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYpsGEiHemM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYpsGEiHemM

Liz Phair (1967 - )

Stratford-On-Guy - 1993

[video=youtube;IshXsLMTzFM]

My My - 2010

http://www.rhapsody.com/liz-phair/funstyle/my-my

• Moderators

Nice theme there, rsadasiv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshXsLMTzFM

My My - 2010

http://www.rhapsody.com/liz-phair/funstyle/my-my

I missed the link and see it now but hey, I went and got this Liz Phair... cause my mom is mine. :) Saw you mention it the other day and love it too, though it's a rough one. Little Digger...

[video=youtube;469OwwwdCfc]

• Moderators

...did one of those guys go on to be a Ramone?
:lol:
Nice breezy 60's vibe going on here though.

That's Zal Yanovsy Ramone! Great guitarist. He later simplified his approach with a strictly down stroked, barred chord and Marshall stack approach. :)

• Members

Happy to contribute as a newbie in two respects:

1) new to these boards

2) new to songwriting and recording my own stuff

One influence I've had recently is a local non-famous guy... here in Philadelphia. His name is Andrew Lipke and I think the world of his songwriting skills, his gift for melody, and his performance style (which is minimal... it's all about the music).

[video=youtube;isIjH1A1-Jc]

On the flipside, I'm a big fan of big sounding (soaring) music using what I consider to be 'organic' instrumentation with organs, electric pianos, and lush vocal harmonies.

[video=youtube;X2H65mHd9Vk]

These two videos kind of represent where I'm at right now... on the one hand I want to record stark, simple, beautiful songs... but on the other, I want a giant sound without resorting to a synth-type approach.

• Members

One of my very favorite bands, ever. I saw Television three times, twice in the day and once on their reunion tour in the 90s. I also saw Tom Verlaine solo and that was a really great show. As intimate a show as a thousand people could be... you could have pretty much heard a pin drop in a usually rowdy punk palace as he sang over just his very minimal electric guitar.

• Members

One of my very favorite bands, ever. I saw Television three times, twice in the day and once on their reunion tour in the 90s. I also saw Tom Verlaine solo and
that
was a really great show. As intimate a show as a thousand people could be... you could have pretty much heard a pin drop in a usually rowdy punk palace as he sang over just his very minimal electric guitar.

I only saw them once. This was back "in the day" - as evidenced by the fact that they were supported by an up-and-coming punk outfit called Blondie. Whatever became of them?

As for Tom Verlaine - it struck me when I posted the link how very unwell the guy looked back then. From that pic you wouldn't think he'd still be alive for a reunion tour in the 90's.

• Members

These guys were local boys... and we loved them.

[video=youtube;tzyzVZZfUfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyzVZZfUfM

I met them before I ever saw the band. We were sitting on a curb outside an 'underground' (ie, illegal) show at our mutual friends the Suburban Lawns' practice studio and me and the guy who would be the guitarist in my band and them started talking. They said they were from San Pedro (across the harbor from Long Beach) and forming a band; they had a concept, they'd play only one minute songs and call themselves the Minutemen. They didn't stick too tightly to the initial concept -- I think they just had too many great ideas to stay within the narrow one minute notion -- but they went on to be one of my very favorite LA bands. The loss of guitarist/singer D. Boon in a late night highway wreck as he was driving back with friends from Arizona was pretty devastating to a lot of folks in the LA scene. He's still missed.

• Members

I only saw them once. This was back "in the day" - as evidenced by the fact that they were supported by an up-and-coming punk outfit called Blondie. Whatever became of them?

As for Tom Verlaine - it struck me when I posted the link how very unwell the guy looked back then. From that pic you wouldn't think he'd still be alive for a reunion tour in the 90's.

No kidding. He was still thin as a rail when I saw him both times in the 90s, but he looked good. He's truly a fine guitarist and writer.

I remember those Blondie guys. I was pretty skeptical at first because they seemed a lot more rock than I was really tuned into (that was around their first album) but the lyrics in the first few records won me over. I never saw them live, but when I saw Talking Heads the second time, in '78, they (or at least Debbie H., Chris Stein and, I think, Clem Burke) were sitting one table away from us at the Roxy in Hollywood and they looked like regular folks who were, like us, having a good time watching a favorite band. (It was the 5th anniversary of Roxy and the late owner Elmer Valentine [who looked like your basic east coast mafioso] was actually in a good mood, greeting people at the door and telling them the drinks would be on the house. Needless to say, it was a pretty fun evening. ;) The 'Heads were really good. The show wasn't as intimate as when I saw them the year before at the old Golden Bear in Huntington Beach (a 300 person club they'd often pack out to about 500) but they were in a good mood, too, and played great. The lesson, of course, is to keep your ear to the ground and catch folks before they get 'too big.' I saw the TH at the (very large) Hollywood Bowl in the 80s a couple times and, while they were good (they had the augmented line-up and were in their Afrobeat phase), it was really, really, not the same.

• Members

That's really cool... you find yourself leaning forward just to hear... I love that kind of intimacy. Talk about being able to hear a pin drop.

Rolling back up to the top of the thread... another big shout to the Lovin' Spoonful... they weren't really my style of music so much, but how could you resist some of those melodies and some of those lyrics... and they did have one of the greatest city songs, ever...

[video=youtube;zWXcjYNZais]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXcjYNZais

• Members

Wish I'd seen the Heads. Not sure why I never did. As for the Television/Blondie gig I saw, I remember two things. Firstly that Television were excellent -better even than I'd hoped after almost wearing out that album in preparation. Secondly (and please remember I was a teenager with hormones running amok before reading this) that Debbie Harry was cute as hell - especially with that little mini-skirt she was wearing offering the occasional glimpse of tiny lacy black undies as she moved around. Sorry for implanting that image. Really I am.

• Members

Before the Electric Light Orchestra, there was The Move. This song slays me... (sorry the fi is lo and mono, to boot, but you'll get the idea)... Bev Bevan's bass is so amazing. Singer/guitarist/writer Roy Wood led the band (although the main singer until 1970 was Carl Wayne). Wood, Bevan and Jeff Lynne, a friend of Wood who'd joined the band in 1968 were the last Move lineup and went on to record the (still quite cool) debut Electric Light Orchestra album. Wood (who played a wide variety of stringed instruments) and Lynne had wanted to explore music with orchestral elements and the first ELO album was the result of that effort. This amazing track, though, if from the last Move album, Message from the Country...

[video=youtube;xL82woPq8yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL82woPq8yw

• Members

Lots of good music in the thread this week. Thanks for posting about Lipke, Bee. I'm going to check him out.

Here is my contribution, another random unknown. This girl is incredible, one of the best songwriters on the planet, IMO. She has pipes like you wouldn't believe, never out of key even though everything is a live take, a Divine sense of melody and gorgeous piano chops. She has over 150 songs up and damn near all of them are captivating enough that it is hard to concentrate on much anything else.

I honestly believe with the right support she could be another Adelle.

The sound quality is poor, but the song is worth it. I've been goading her to pick up some better (any) equipment and she's finally making the plunge.

[video=youtube;bgsN23ELTIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsN23ELTIY

(btw, her songs do tend to go a bit long, and she would agree with that. These are all just demos, which in many ways makes it even more remarkable)

• Members

THE FACTS OF LIFE!

Sorry... I... couldn't...
resist

Someday -- if you -- and everyone else -- are lucky, you'll be old, too. :D

Enjoy your time in the sun (although you might want to wear sunblocker)... but there are worse things than getting old.

Like squandering your dreams and your life on nonsense and empty pleasures that, looking back, didn't add up to anything much...

• Members

Someday -- if you -- and everyone else -- are lucky, you'll be old, too.
:D

Enjoy your time in the sun (although you might want to wear sunblocker)... but there
are
worse things than getting old.

I'm getting there. ;)

• Members

(btw, her songs do tend to go a bit long, and she would agree with that. These are all just demos, which in many ways makes it even more remarkable)

Pretty cool! I love the ultra-low-gloss presentation, ultra lo fi and all.

Looks like she uses my housekeeper. ;)

Archived