Meditation music with a rock and techno flair

KrazyFauer

• Members

Welcome to the Songwriting Forum, Krazy!

Like the term, trance, before it, seems like meditation may be in the mind of the beholder... ;) But it's certainly kinda dreamy...

It avoids many of the pitfalls of IDM/trancey midtempo music, largely because there's usually an engaging foreground (a melody or some other evolving feature). The changeups are mostly pretty organic, avoiding the just-splice-it-up pitfall of many such efforts. They're occasionally a little abrupt but manage a decent amount of coherence through the use of running motifs. I'm not the biggest fan of robo-arpeggios at this point in the time/life/space continuum, but they're agreeable enough here.

A nice effort that, while maybe not being something one would remember to the grave, is still a nice enough way to spend a few spaced-out minutes.

I'm the mod in the SW forum. We hope you'll stick around and discuss songwriting/composition issues and getting and giving feedback to others. Please feel free to check out the guidelines/rules/resources sticky thread for tips on getting the most of this work-oriented, on-topic forum.

• Members

Thanks for your input. I agree with some of the comments. It doesn't sound that smooth in some places because I didn't do any post production it was straight from the keyboard. They're not really robo-arpeggios because I layered them by hand and then just looped it.

Thanks again,

Kyle

• Moderators

I like the feel of the human loop. Not hard quantized yet repetitive. Very cool. That little stutter at the end of the first motif is cool. 123 123 123 123 bah PUH. Cool. Need to work a bit perhaps at developing the ideas you have but I like the basic feel. Trance style development is a freaky art, to be sure. Some obvious things you can do to "develop" is opening/closing a filter over time etc. Yeah, it's been done to death... so do something different. But taking and developing the ideas of those who go before us... well, that's where it's at.

I like the idea of the different movements and particularly like where the last one that just peeks in was going at the end.

I think you could find ways to mutate the main motif and give it more legs. And perhaps, to tighten it up just a little rhythmically. But, you've got some way cool ideas going.

Archived