WIP: Easier Said Than Done

bee3

• Members

Last year, my best friend in the world was killed in a car accident. In the immediate aftermath, I spent a lot of time with his family just trying to be there for them... they were like my second family growing up. They told me at the time that me just being around made them feel as though he was still, in some way, with them... It was a very difficult time. This song was written around that time...

I have tracking done... but a ton of mixing to do. What you'll hear is EVERYTHING that was laid down... and I have to pick and choose sonically what I want to keep. Interested in your feedback overall, but especially from the mixing point of view. (Disclaimer: this is a long song... it's anthemic).

Click here to listen.

Easier Said Than Done

There is nothing unusual about

Living life with a wounded heart

I'll pick you up when you fall down

And I promise things will get easier

And you'll lose your weary state of mind

And you can toss one back with your old friends

Cause all you need

Is to let go and be free

I know its easier said than done

Cause all you need

Is to hold on to me

There is something so unusual about

Living life with no regrets and I...

I've been there on the other side

And I promise things will get easier

And you'll lose your weary state of mind

And you can have a drink with your old friends

Cause all you need

Is to let go and be free

Cause all you need

Is to hold on to me

I feel... this time's for real

Do you feel him?

Does he come to you in your dreams?

Like he does mine...

Cause all you need

Is to let go and be free

Cause all you need

Is to hold on to me

• Members

Sounds like something David Gilmour and John Lennon would have written together. I love the solo at the end and the "all I need" is a great vocal hook.

There are some parts that do seem a little cluttered, but it is near impossible for me to tell what the offending tracks are with a single listen because you've done a good job of blending the stuff you have now. If I think of anything I'll send a pm.

• Members

Lovely. Might want to clean up the vocal harmonies a bit, but very good as is. Agreed on the David Gilmour (especially in the very beginning of the solo) but I'm hearing George (especially in the slide), not John - maybe an alternate take of "All Things Must Pass".

• Members

Sounds like something David Gilmour and John Lennon would have written together.

Indeed. It also got me thinking of David Bowie in places. Love the organ! Not the most original piece of work but what you do you do very well! Your voice reminds me a bit of Colin MacIntyre (formerly known as Mull Historical Society).

• Members

I'm sorry to hear the sad backstory here... but your friend, I feel certain, would be honored by your efforts, I think it very clearly seems to be a labor of love. The lyric seems to set up an interesting change of voice (if I'm interpreting it 'correctly') with the bridge seeming to suggest an ethereal, yet somehow very warm and human source for the main lyric about reassurance and the task of carrying on. With regard to arrangement, it's big, no question, and some selective subtraction of elements in various sections would likely help set up a little more differentiation and dynamic tension from one section to another. One thing I've found helpful is to not approach each chorus or verse precisely the same, with the same stack of instrumental layers. I like to play a little hide and seek with different elements through the course of a song, so that, at least sometimes, each chorus or verse or other repeated section is just a little bit different. Sometimes that means removing elements, but, at other times that may mean changing the dynamic balance slightly or not-so-slightly between elements from chorus to chorus or verse to verse.

Just to pop the moderator hat on for a sec... let me reassure folks that it seems perfectly reasonable to talk about arrangement issues when critiquing a song, even though arrangement is really something somewhat separate from composition. Still, if one finds himself talking almost exclusively about arranging, production, or even recording issues, he may be drifting pretty far afield of the basic mission of the forum, which is songwriting and composition. What I worry about in my own comments, since much of my music biz experience was 'on the other side of the glass,' is that, for me, it's almost always easier to talk about such 'surface' issues than to really get to the nitty gritty of the song itself... so when I catch myself prattling about how you might try this or that production trick, I try to refocus myself back to the song or composition.

PS... I heard the Pink Floydian aspect here, but while I could hear those echoes (pun acknowledged), particularly of the late, great-in-his-own-way keyboardist Richard Wright, overall, it doesn't come off to me like a PF song, particularly since the vocal is so un-Floyd-like. Just before I wrote this, I saw Owslek's Gilmour/Lennon comment and, after a couple of quick blinks, that made some real sense. There is something faintly Lennonesque here, even apart from the chosen vocal range and timbre, maybe its the message of taking heart and everyday perseverance. At any rate, a nice song, for sure. ;)

PPS... I really like the easier said than done idea you strike in the chorus... which helps elevate the song above possible dismissal as good, but facile advice...

• Members

I'm sorry to hear the sad backstory here... but your friend, I feel certain, would be honored by your efforts, I think it very clearly seems to be a labor of love. The lyric seems to set up an interesting change of voice (if I'm interpreting it 'correctly') with the bridge seeming to suggest an ethereal, yet somehow very warm and human source for the main lyric about reassurance and the task of carrying on. With regard to arrangement, it's big, no question, and some selective subtraction of elements in various sections would likely help set up a little more differentiation and dynamic tension from one section to another. One thing I've found helpful is to
not
approach each chorus or verse precisely the same, with the same stack of instrumental layers. I like to play a little hide and seek with different elements through the course of a song, so that, at least sometimes, each chorus or verse or other repeated section is just a little bit different. Sometimes that means removing elements, but, at other times that may mean changing the dynamic balance slightly or not-so-slightly between elements from chorus to chorus or verse to verse.

Just to pop the moderator hat on for a sec... let me reassure folks that it seems perfectly reasonable to talk about arrangement issues when critiquing a song, even though arrangement is really something somewhat separate from composition. Still, if one finds himself talking almost exclusively about arranging, production, or even recording issues, he may be drifting pretty far afield of the basic mission of the forum, which is songwriting and composition. What
I
worry about in my own comments, since much of my music biz experience was 'on the other side of the glass,' is that, for me, it's almost always easier to talk about such 'surface' issues than to really get to the nitty gritty of
the song itself
... so when I catch myself prattling about how you might try this or that production trick, I try to refocus myself back to the song or composition.

PS... I heard the Pink Floydian aspect here, but while I could hear those echoes (pun acknowledged), particularly of the late, great-in-his-own-way keyboardist Richard Wright, overall, it doesn't come off to me like a PF song, particularly since the vocal is so un-Floyd-like. Just before I wrote this, I saw Owslek's Gilmour/Lennon comment and, after a couple of quick blinks,
that
made some real sense. There is something faintly Lennonesque here, even apart from the chosen vocal range and timbre, maybe its the message of taking heart and everyday perseverance. At any rate, a nice song, for sure.
;)

PPS... I really like the
easier said than done
idea you strike in the chorus... which helps elevate the song above possible dismissal as good, but facile advice...

Thank you for the comments B2B... and the tolerance. :) ... and the pun.

• Members

It was almost a double (but only half-intentional) pun, because I originally wrote great-in-his-own-right keyboardist... but I caught myself. ;)

I do really like those keyboard touches in your track!

Back in the day I spent a lot of time staring at the inside of my eyelids while listening to Wright's amazing organ-psychedelia on "Echoes" over headphones... such an amazing track.

Anyhow, neither here nor there but I found myself, inspired by listening to your track, really musing yesterday on how much Wright's keyboards helped make early PF one of my favorite bands. From the haunting and haunted organ on "Echoes" to the wry cocktail jazz of St. Tropez... the guy could really get a lot out of piano and organ. Synths may have 'democratized' keyboards so us guitarists and others could layer up some rich textures -- but guys like Wright could make keyboard magic the old-fashioned way.

• Members

Wow. I don't think you could possibly pay me a more meaningful compliment.

I was gonna agree! WOW! And whoever said George, not John, also a HUGE compliment.

I hear it too though, WOW (again)...the George voice combined with the reverb of John and the Dave Gilmour type guitar and vibe, which especially comes out in the chorus I think...this is REALLY good,

My interest was already piqued by the subject matter...I don't know what I'd do if my best friend (of 16 years) died...

I love the piano in between the chorus and verse...

I just love this song!

PS. I'm so sorry about your friend...you yourself a beautiful friend to him and a lovely person in general for taking and giving comfort in his family...friendship can be such a gorgeous thing, and an example of that is this song and your actions...

• Members

Thank you for the kind words Grace. The true test will come when the song is finished... and I present it to the family. He left behind three very young children. I was thinking of setting up a site somewhere and doing a pay-what-you-want for a download of the song, then donating it all to their education.

• Members

Yeah, it's a long song. 5 1/2 is unusual; maybe as an album cut. But there should be a way to get it within a smaller envelope for a first release.

It's quite good on many levels. Heavy on the mixology for my tastes. But that's just me. (I thought the 80s were a wasteland).

Your bridge had me thinking this was a Christian tune. I hadn't read your intro first. Maybe it still is and you want double meaning (which is a great tool). But without reading the intro storyline, I never would have guessed what the real storyline was.

• Members

Yeah, it's a long song. 5 1/2 is unusual; maybe as an album cut. But there should be a way to get it within a smaller envelope for a first release.

It's quite good on many levels. Heavy on the
mixology
for my tastes. But that's just me. (I thought the 80s were a wasteland).

Your bridge had me thinking this was a Christian tune. I hadn't read your intro first. Maybe it still is and you want double meaning (which is a great tool). But without reading the intro storyline, I never would have guessed what the real storyline was.

I can see where you thought that... and I'm completely ok if anyone wants to take that to mean that I was talking about a higher power/being/entity. Interestingly, I was literally talking about Patrick coming to me in my dreams. But the idea was spawned by two things: 1) my wife and I both woke up morning and told each other that we had a dream about him that night. 2) Shortly after, I found out that his mother and sister had been going to a medium trying to channel his spirit... and he apparently did come through to them (and named me by name). Now, I don't know what to think of this... in fact, I rarely think about it because it either freaks me out or makes me think the medium-concept is all a big hoax. What's important is that the family got the comfort they needed at the time.

Can you clarify what you mean by heavy on the mixology?

Archived