Is it me, or is the Songwriting forum a nut house...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What makes you think they don't have music to go with the lyrics...maybe they are asking for obvious word choices that they haven't yet caught themselves. Maybe they want input on how someone else might say the same thing but from a diff angle. Not a nut house....how would you do it?

• Members

... what is it that people think posting only the lyrics is a song?

You're not a stupid man, Angelo. Why act like one?

It's no secret and certainly shouldn't be news to you that many of the great songwriting teams had one person who specialized in lyrics and one who specialized in music.

If lyricists need feedback on their lyrics, why shouldn't they post them here?

I understand that you have a great deal of experience in the commercial music business, and considerable talent -- but you seem to be wasting that talent -- and our time -- with these distractions.

This is a work-oriented, on-topic only forum, Angelo. If you can't make a meaningful contribution rather than a series of petty complaints and silly, trolling distractions, then I suggest you find another forum more suited to your interests.

• Members

Well... I used to agree? And it was very difficult for me to simply read the lyrics, and "see" the song? But I'm getting better at it... I mean, after all? When you boil all of the {censored} away? (not to say that anyone's musical performance is {censored}...) The lyrics are the song? The lyrics "tell the story..." This is what we as song writers are trying to say? For me anyway? There's something on my mind? And I'm expressing it through the words. More than one of my songs made me cry "like a baby..." When they were written? Powerful emotions... Love? Life? Death? I swear, the song I wrote for my son, about my death? (it will come...) I literally could not sing it? For months... I couldn't sing it all the way through when I recorded it? I had to do it in clips, because the words/lyrics, made me break down and cry... Language, it's how we convey our feelings? And when it's done right in a song? It's VERY powerful... And the story or what you are trying to say is at the heart of it. Yes, songs have music, they have melody, there are performance aspects? But deep down? It's the stories we tell.

• Members

This is a work-oriented, on-topic only forum, Angelo. If you can't make a meaningful contribution rather than a series of petty complaints and silly, trolling distractions, then I suggest you find another forum more suited to your interests.

Mess-with-blue2blue-GET-THE-SMACKDOWN.jp

• Members

yes, sometimes it's just a fun song, or someone just gets dumped by Carie :-) What's funny is? I recorded that as a cover! LOL! I did a pretty damn good job of it too! It's near the bottom of my list, I did it for Miss April who had a friend named Carie Ann...

But hey? If I'm lyin I'm dyin... You know we all have music that speaks to us on a level that other things simply do not. Songs that are evocative. Songs that we hear and either instantly connect with? Or songs that bring back strong memories and with them feelings. Make no mistake, music is very powerful... Modern man has not had Calculus for 30,000 years? But we've had music... It touches something very deep inside us, very primal.

• Members

what about me? I have a lot to offer? And I'm a giver? God know's I've given you you're fair share of .... :-) It's who I am, "I'm a giver!" Like a cold sore... I just keep on giving?

:thu:

I love you. You're the greatest. Haven't heard one song of yours. Interesting method and surreal concepts you developed there. We all make some charity work at the local hospital, now I can do that at home on HC Songwriting forum.

• Members

I will just go ahead and respond literally with my opinion. I feel like the song writing forum is for people that are just starting to write music(as well as people who have been writing for a while). I know when I started posting here about two years ago(and yes very intermittently) that I personally started with super rough recordings. However, my brother had started posting before me and he would often times just post lyrics. Because of his lack of confidence with his voice and guitar playing, as well as a lack of anything to record with, he would often times just post lyrics. Lyric writing is an integral part of the song writing process and therefor should not be discounted. Think of it as a poem, think of it as a song, either way it is integral in the process. Whatever the reason for just posting lyrics, I think many people don't mind giving feedback.

I want to address your viewpoint as well though, I can absolutely see how it would be annoying to click on a post to listen to a song and there just be lyrics, I've done that a bunch myself as well.

Also, props to Blue because he was around back then giving recommendations and helping people develop their songwriting... and he is still doing the same today. Thanks blue.

• Members

Oh yeah......this place is a nut house. Present company excluded, of course.;)

I tend to agree with RvH, btw. Lyrics are part of a song and it's great to be able to flesh them out here. It becomes a song, in my mind, when the music is there as well.

I can often tell when someone has put up a set of lyrics that has been composed with specific music in mind as opposed to lyrics that are still awaiting a melody.

... and he is still doing the same today. Thanks blue.

:thu:

• Members

Wow, Lenny. That was so important you had to say it TWICE! :D

In all seriousness, I tend to post lyric only requests because that is where I am weakest. The music and melody typically come pretty easy and I'm not likely to change so why ask?

• Moderators

:)

Whenever I post a lyric, I usually have a strong sense of my melody. I've got the cadence figured in my head, the groove is starting to fall together, etc. You see, I know that if I post my half baked lyrics in my produced track, they're going to pass more scrutiny than if I just put them out there naked and vulnerable. So...

...I find having my lyric criticized and scrutinized and roughed up and humiliated... whew... allows me to fine tune a single component of the song. The lyric. It is unfair for those helping me with feedback because they don't really know where I'm going.

But I do.

And that's why when Stickboy has a great idea about changing "Drive my life like a pickup truck", to "steer" my life... I see his insight, but have later decided to go back to drive. He has no way of knowing what I've got in mind. But the exercise of me throwing the single, stark lyric component out there for scrutiny helps me to raise the bar of what I'm doing. Lyrics are always a bit of a struggle for me, though an enjoyable one. So I like to make it harder on myself still to make sure I'm not being a {censored} and stopping short.

So Rudy, you're right. Since I have the song in my head, only I can know for sure what works and what doesn't at this point. I'm very cognizant of that and make sure any input I receive really does fit my agenda. That agenda being, the song I'm hearing in my head.

And then at some point I'll share the next stage in a stripped down one instrument and voice live rendering for input. And then a worked up production...

Archived