Trippy/psychedelic stoner guitar instrumental!

Shaw2222

• Members

Hello everyone! How are you?

Got a bit of a trippy track here. Would love it if you would check it out and let me know what you think! There's a pretty abstract intro, but kicks in to something more normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFU3h3YVs0

Also, if you like, could you please check my band out? http://www.myspace.com/laterhaze

Thanks very much! Danyil.

• Members

Hello everyone! How are you?

Got a bit of a trippy track here. Would love it if you would check it out and let me know what you think! There's a pretty abstract intro, but kicks in to something more normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFU3h3YVs0

Also, if you like, could you please check my band out?
http://www.myspace.com/laterhaze

Thanks very much! Danyil.

Hi, Shaw!

I couldn't help but feel that you'd be better off in the first minute with a classic dub approach to the drums... that stark, steady, early 80s DM beat and sound kind of gets things off on the boring foot. I think I'd suggest getting creative and dropping it in just in shots and drops... making sure it got appropriate echo flavoring. Once the poppier chorus comes in, you can probably mostly let the beat do its thing. But I wouldn't let myself lose track of the power you can get from pulling a steady element like that DM out for various, brief musical amounts of time. The power of knowing when to lay out.

Also, if you took that approach to breaking up the beat in the intro minute, the move into the chorus might make more musical sense, feel smoother but still have the bump up. It would also help combat sameyness over the course of the song, which is building up by the last of the five minutes.

The notion of a trippy day dream of a downtempo tune seems so simple at first blush, but I think a lot of us find it surprisingly difficult. You've put some good effort into this, and it's go some genuine charm, but I think it could benefit from a little refocusing and trimming.

But if you decide to just cut bait and move on, I think I'd recommend working on your drum/beat arrangements. (In fact, there may not be anything to keep you from rearranging/rewriting what you've got now, assuming it's in MIDI form.)

:)

• Members

i agree with moderator Blue: the drums are boring as all.

I also agree with Robula: it needs some sort of melody to pull the listener thru all five minutes. i don't care if its a vox line, or synth line or guitar line, but the track is just rhythm guitar right now. needs melody. seems like you're channeling Love & Rockets 'mirror people' so check out that track for ideas.

• Members

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

I agree with everything that has been said. It definitely does lack vocals, or some kind of main melody!

And the drums are incredibly boring and "undynamic" , truth be told, it's all I had to work with. I just had a built in drum machine in the little 4-track thing I was using, can't even programme them, or choose when they come in. Can anyone recommend any free, or cheap drum software, or some other suggestion???

Though, i'm very glad you saw potential in it, and I may work on it a bit soon. Was just an idea really, one thing led to another kind of thing.

Thanks again chaps!

• Members

Honestly, I only use audacity and a cheap plastic mic to record and I don't know how to record stuff so I GVerb the {censored} out of my tracks, so my recordings blow. I have NO idea how to get drums into my songs, and I don't even know where I could find a drum machine so I'm screwed right now. If anyone actually knows of one, please tell us!

Were you honestly going for a stoner rock sound? Like, the really dirty fuzzy sabbath-lite sort of sound? Or a psychedelic wall of feedback sort of thing? It sounds more like something out of a Ride or My Bloody Valentine album.. This one is definetly a keeper if you come up with a memorable melody, for what it is..

• Members

This tutorial on MIDI drums (drum machines/virtual DMs, etc) should give you some good ways of dealing with virtualized drums. It's from the TweakHeadz Guide to the Home and Project Recording Studio.

For free/cheap/shareware sounds and samples try these two online sources: www.KVRAudio.com

(all kinds of synths, sample players and more, many of them free or shareware)

www.HammerSound.net

(Hammersound is Soundfont central, basically. Don't have a Soundblaster or software Soundfont player? Cakewalk gives away this very usable one: http://www.cakewalk.com/Download/sfz.aspx )

There are a bunch of resources (like those above) listed in the Wecome/Guidelines sticky:

WELCOME to the SW FORUM / Guidelines / Resources

• Members

Alright, Blue, thanks! I'll check it out. Once the summer comes around I plan on getting a job to save for a laptop and good recording software and stuff like that, hopefully I can learn enough from this board to record some halfway decent stuff.

Archived