Why do we do this? :)

polishpaul

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:cop:

I haven't been able to be here much lately to do my schoolmarm thing... but I get the impression that things got a little heated but have cooled down some.

Lively discussion is great... but when things devolve to spitting contests, I don't think it serves anyone well.

That said, I think everyone here realizes that pretty well, even if some may have momentarily got caught up in things.

So, let's all take a deep breath, relax a little, and get back to the hard job of making music and helping each other make better music.

:)

• Members

Referring to Post #40, by GregL, in The Music Biz/Rebecca Black Lessons thread........

"I'm right and you're a liar"

It's hardly debate, is it?

No smiley, so it reads as what you think.

Offensive stuff.

Respond to this if you like, but you won't goad me into any kind of reply. You are off my Christmas card list, matey.

• Members

Referring to Post #40, by GregL, in
The Music Biz/Rebecca Black Lessons
thread........

"I'm right and you're a liar"

It's hardly debate, is it?

No smiley, so it reads as what you think.

Offensive stuff.

Respond to this if you like, but you won't goad me into any kind of reply. You are off my Christmas card list, matey.

Good, cuz I'm a buddhist.

Couldn't keep it in the same thread, huh?

• Members

The reason I'm writing this is because, to some degree, I get you and your personality. But it might be a bit more productive to lighten up and the confrontational 'tude. Why not get involved by trying to bring your sensibilities to a critique? And no, not an angry slam of someone's work, but an honest attempt to help another writer do his thing.

Sorry I missed this earlier. I wasn't trying to avoid your question.

I'm not comfortable critiquing songwriting. It's too subjective. Who am I, and who is anyone else for that matter, to tell someone "No, you should do this, change that, get rid of this, etc, etc". Even if they ask for it. I personally don't think it makes anyone better. I think it just furthers their second-guessing and and doesn't help anyone be themselves. Instead of writing from an honest place, they write to please the critiquer. {censored} that. I'm a big believer in the notion that people should just write whatever they want, however they want. Just be honest about it. Don't try to be anything you're not. Have fun with it and don't sweat pleasing other people because you can't please everyone. I don't care what people think of my songs, so I'm not judging theirs.

• Members

Sorry I missed this earlier. I wasn't trying to avoid your question.

I'm not comfortable critiquing songwriting. It's too subjective. Who am I, and who is anyone else for that matter, to tell someone "No, you should do this, change that, get rid of this, etc, etc". Even if they ask for it. I personally don't think it makes anyone better. I think it just furthers their second-guessing and and doesn't help anyone be themselves. Instead of writing from an honest place, they write to please the critiquer. {censored} that. I'm a big believer in the notion that people should just write whatever they want, however they want. Just be honest about it. Don't try to be anything you're not. Have fun with it and don't sweat pleasing other people because you can't please everyone. I don't care what people think of my songs, so I'm not judging theirs.

I like your style! Don't know nothing about your music. But it's probably pretty good if you can sing and play half as well as you can bring it in a fun and useless blogulating throwdown!! And I dig the "Yes-I-Might-Be-As-Crazy-As-Nick-Nolte" thing you got going on with the headshot, there. Righteous! I agree with everything you've said - and, you know, most people would say that is by no means a compliment....www.thatsweird.net

• Members

That's kind of what we do here.

• Members
Yep but remember in Greg's mind it's "just the internet". Man, that line is so loaded with the underlying sub-text "so I can be a total ass and it doesn't matter"
:lol:

There's that pompous "songwriter" showing up again. :lol: Look dude, you specifically could benefit from adopting the "it's just the internet" attitude. Maybe it could help you not get so offended by words on a screen from anonymous people that you will never meet.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but as the saying goes, when in Rome...........

• Members
There's that pompous "songwriter" showing up again.
:lol:
Look dude, you specifically could benefit from adopting the "it's just the internet" attitude. Maybe it could help you not get so offended by words on a screen from anonymous people that you will never meet.

I'm not
trying
to be an ass, but as the saying goes, when in Rome...........

Offended? I think you have totally the wrong idea here Greg. Nope, I'm not in the slightest bit offended. As I said yesterday, I enjoy internet debates - they're fun. It does make me laugh when the internet is singled out as somewhere where modes of behaviour that apply everywhere else somehow magically now don't. People is people - whether you're talking to them by letter, phone, in person, whatever. (Note that I said "laugh" - not "get enraged/offended/annoyed" etc)

However, to use an Americanism - lighten up dude.

• Members

I write because I woke up 6 years ago with words running through my head that I could not get rid of. Then it hashed itself out into a "song" in a matter of minutes.

I am one of those people that believe all songs are out there floating around in the universe and they choose the people, not the other way around.

Mostly I write because it makes me happy, even if no one ever hears a lick. And I feel as though in some way I am keeping the cycle going by writing my "songs".

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I dont consider myself superior. The songs just kinda come through me. Sometimes not for a couple weeks, sometimes I write five in a week. I Dont know how or why and they're not for me to judge.

Archived