Why do we do this? :)

polishpaul

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Slippery ain't ya? You're not getting out that easily. a) You gave a +1000000 (forgot how many zeros) to the post that said "everyone". b) I still haven't seen the examples of the "some of you" to which you're referring.

A) I can't be held responsible for the specific words of another poster. I simply agreed with the general point.

B) I'd say you're a fine example of someone being pompous about songwriting.

• Members

A) I can't be held responsible for the specific words of another poster. I simply agreed with the general point.

B) I'd say you're a fine example of someone being pompous about songwriting.

a) no you went a bit further than that b) Now now, name calling isn't a very useful way to debate is it? I'll refrain from responding in kind.

Here's what I'm trying to say in very simple terms. I don't see why it's okay for a teacher (for example) to say they're a teacher - that it's what defines them, it's what they do, it's what they feel they need to do etc - and yet it's not okay for a songwriter to say the same thing. The only way you could possibly see that as being pompous or as a declaration of being "more enlightened", "above others" or the like is if YOU'RE the one who considers songwriting as something "otherworldly". Seems to be a contradiction in the argument there somewhere don't you think?

• Members

lots of reasons all balled up together, I'd suspect.

1) it's a compulsion.

2) it's therapy.

3) we're all narcissists at heart and not only feel we have something to say but that everyone needs to hear it.

4) there's money to be made, no matter how little- the real money in music is in songwriting.

5) Credibility with peers.

6) Fame.

Pick one, or any combo thereof.

• Members

a) no you went a bit further than that b) Now now, name calling isn't a very useful way to debate is it? I'll refrain from responding in kind.

A) You asked

B) Just my opinion. Don't kill yourself over it.

Here's what I'm trying to say in very simple terms. I don't see why it's okay for a teacher (for example) to say they're a teacher - that it's what defines them, it's what they do, it's what they feel they need to do etc - and yet it's not okay for a songwriter to say the same thing. The only way you could possibly see that as being pompous or as a declaration of being "more enlightened", "above others" or the like is if YOU'RE the one who considers songwriting as something "otherworldly". Seems to be a contradiction in the argument there somewhere don't you think?

Nope. Not at all. I don't think songwriting is anything special. That's why it seems so goofy to me that people would wear it as a badge. As for the rest of your ramblings...Teachers get paid. Doctors get paid. Garbagemen get paid. If you get paid as a songwriter, then cool, you're a songwriter.

• Members

Nope. Not at all. I don't think songwriting is anything special. That's why it seems so goofy to me that people would wear it as a badge. As for the rest of your ramblings...Teachers get paid. Doctors get paid. Garbagemen get paid. If you get paid as a songwriter, then cool, you're a songwriter.

My "ramblings" (you really can't stop being provocative can you? I'm enjoying this, probably a little too much) didn't say anything about money. If you must know (and I know you feel you must), I don't get paid enough as a songwriter to pay the bills (who does these days) but yes I get paid. Can I please be a songwriter now Mr Greg?

Edited to add (cos I got carried away and forgot) ... IF you really don't think of songwriting as special, then why is it "goofy to wear it as a badge"? Gardening isn't special either but I know people who think of themselves as gardeners.

• Members

Hey dude, you obviously need the approval of others and self-satisfaction of labeling yourself as a "songwriter". Knock yourself out. It makes you feel special, so do it. You need this. Why are you so concerned about what I say? I'm just an anonymous blip on your computer monitor.

• Moderators

So much for being "on the same team", huh Lee?

I tried but I won't anymore. I like the music you posted as influences. But I don't like the confrontational stance. I get it. I even agree with it to a degree. But I don't dig the in your face finger pointing. So yeah, we are clearly not on the same team. You are a poser of the worst kind. I earned my livelihood solely as a musician for a decade and a half. Since that seems to be your criteria. Then as an audio engineer. Now as a corporate creative. I continue to write and perform for the love of it. I'm 51 years old. I played on the same stages as your influences.

I realize how pompous some of this stuff can get. I know. But I have a lot more patience for that than I do your pompous finger pointing. Pot calling the kettle black. And it's shame. I like your CD. It's fun. But I'd propose to you... that you are the one taking yourself too seriously. Way too... Seriously.

• Members
Hey dude, you obviously need the approval of others and self-satisfaction of labeling yourself as a "songwriter". Knock yourself out. It makes you feel special, so do it. You need this. Why are you so concerned about what I say? I'm just an anonymous blip on your computer monitor.

:lol: Please don't misinterpret my playing with you as me being concerned about what you say. Don't worry about it Greg - you don't need to know what I think of you and I'm way too polite to tell you.

Have fun.

BTW, as Lee said, I know people can get a little precious and pompous about songwriting - same as they do about painting or acting - but I don't see much of that here. I do seem to be seeing antagonistic posturing for its own sake though.

Where are those Jet-Skis when you need them?

• Members
:lol:
Please don't misinterpret my playing with you as me being concerned about what you say. Don't worry about it Greg - you don't need to know what I think of you and I'm way too polite to tell you.

Have fun.

Lol @ playing with me. I'm the toy robot that took over your bedroom. Write a song about it.

• Members
I tried but I won't anymore. I like the music you posted as influences. But I don't like the confrontational stance. I get it. I even
agree with it to a degree.
But I don't dig the in your face finger pointing. So yeah, we are clearly not on the same team. You are a poser of the worst kind. I earned my livelihood solely as a musician for a decade and a half. Since that seems to be your criteria. Then as an audio engineer. Now as a corporate creative. I continue to write and perform for the love of it. I'm 51 years old. I played on the same stages as your influences.

I realize how pompous some of this stuff can get. I know. But I have a lot more patience for
that
than I do your pompous finger pointing. Pot calling the kettle black. And it's shame. I like your CD. It's fun. But I'd propose to you... that you are the one taking yourself too seriously. Way too... Seriously.

Why do people keep throwing their life stories at me?

Yup, I make a comment, get questioned, answer the questions HONESTLY and without pretense, and that makes me a poser? I'm not being confrontational. I'm just having a discussion with a guy that asked for one. :facepalm:

You agree with me, but can't let go of your good-ol-boy internet network of friends. I get it. I'm so ashamed.

• Moderators
I make a comment, get questioned, answer the questions HONESTLY and without pretense, and that makes me a poser? I'm not being confrontational. I'm just having a discussion with a guy that asked for one.
:facepalm:

You agree with me, but can't let go of your good-ol-boy internet network of friends. I get it. I'm so ashamed.

I think everything you've posted is bathed in "pretense". You gave something like at +100000 whatever to this comment:

"because everyone of you is an egotistical self-important delusional idiot "

And then you stand back with a little boy innocent "what?!?!?" look? You stuck your finger in it cause you like to see it whince. Poser. "I'm more punk than you!" In the immortal words of my 14 year old, Whatev. facepalm!

• Members

I think everything you've posted is bathed in "pretense". You gave something like at +100000 whatever to this comment:

"because everyone of you is an egotistical self-important delusional idiot "

And then you stand back with a little boy innocent "what?!?!?" look? You stuck your finger in it cause you like to see it whince. Poser. "I'm more punk than you!" In the immortal words of my 14 year old, Whatev. facepalm!

Damn, you are so angry. That's very punk of you.

• Members
Okay, apologies for my part in derailing this thread. I know it's a fault of mine - I enjoy debating
way
too much, especially when it's so easy to pick the holes in the arguments. Sorry, can we get back to the discussion now?

Are you claiming an internet victory, because I clearly mopped the floor with your wimpy songwriter ass. :D

Archived