Why do we do this? :)

polishpaul

• Members

lol, because everyone of you is an egotistical self-important delusional idiot that thinks you're special and have some great deeper understanding of the universe than the rest of the spiritually challenge peasants, and that it's imperative that you share and express this great power and insight with the mere little earthlings you so tolerantly allow to co-exist in your advanced state of consciousness...

what a load..lol

Hey! I write songs about being an egotistical self-important delusional idiot. Most of the audience seem to relate.

Deeper understanding of the universe? Not so much. However the more I point out that I have no clue the more people say, "How did you know so much about me?"

Advanced state of consciousness? I wrote a song about that. The title was 'Flashback'. OR I think I did. Those years are a bit hazy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I write because I woke up 6 years ago with words running through my head that I could not get rid of. Then it hashed itself out into a "song" in a matter of minutes.

I am one of those people that believe all songs are out there floating around in the universe and they choose the people, not the other way around.

Mostly I write because it makes me happy, even if no one ever hears a lick. And I feel as though in some way I am keeping the cycle going by writing my "songs".

• Members

Because life is boring and I failed at making more of myself than I thought I was going to when I was young. Songs are what pass for excitement in this pathetic life.

And I like kidding myself about things. I write songs when I'm not drinking, basically.

• Members

Because life is boring and I failed at making more of myself than I thought I was going to when I was young. Songs are what pass for excitement in this pathetic life.

And I like kidding myself about things. I write songs when I'm not drinking, basically.

I'm with you there Matximus...

• Members

Throughout history, every culture on earth has done this thing called music - through wars, famine, natural disasters, personal struggles, technological, philosophical, and political change. I want to find the thread connecting all of it and why.

• Members

True, tbry, very true, for me also.

And yes, ego is required to produce or even do ANYTHING in life. If we had no ego we would sit in a box by ourselves, never speaking to anyone else, never doing anything for ourselves or anyone else, never creating anything...cause why would we if we think we have nothing worth offering?

We'd have nothing...no comedians (why would they become comedians if they didn't think they themselves were funny?), no musicians (no music if they think they suck and nobody would want to hear their songs), no actors (why bother putting yourself out there if you think you can't act, and in fact there'd be no movies because nobody would've had the drive to make them or write the screenplay), no books...you get the idea. lol

• Members

I think we do this because we feel unique or we want to feel unique. And creation (not only songwriting) is the only way to prove that we are. I find it very pretentious and totally normal at the same time. Quite ambitious as well. I

• Members

Aww man - life is boring? How can anything that contains love, sex, chocolate, mountains, alcohol, rock & roll, jazz, rivers, oceans, tigers, whales, sex (did I say that already?), seafood, eagles, lakes, literature, theatre, movies, curry and aardvarks (to name but a few things) be considered boring?

• Members

I know this sounds stupid, but each song that I write is like a child. Each one has its own personality, and each came into life with great exertion on my part. After each is born, I nurture it until it's ready to stand on its own. Then I let it go and let it live or die by what I've put into it.
And like I would give a child, I give it the best that I have at the moment.
And like a child, years later they mock me... :)

• Members

every person has felt the same feelings every songwriter has felt. a songwriter is not unique to anything, other than they would rather sit around plunking on a piano instead of going out and riding a jet ski. anyone can write a song. it's not a special talent or a gift from god, it's mathematics..plain and simple.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

Well said

• Moderators

Aww man - life is boring? How can anything that contains love, sex, chocolate, mountains, alcohol, rock & roll, jazz, rivers, oceans, tigers, whales, sex (did I say that already?), seafood, eagles, lakes, literature,
JET SKIS!,
theatre, movies, curry and aardvarks (to name but a few things) be considered boring?

Don't forget Jet Skis!

• Members
:confused:
You think
that
deserves the epithet "well said"? My flabber is truly ghasted (... or is it that my ghast is truly flabbered?)
:lol:

Yup, I sure do, because it's 100% correct. Trolling or not, that dude nailed it. Just look at the self-righteous romanticism and blatant pomposity of the responses in this very thread. Some of you think songwriting is some otherworldly experience that makes you enlightened or puts you above others. I hate to burst your bubble, but it's just a song. Words (usually) and some music. Big deal. Any shmoe can do it, and there is no good or bad song.

To answer the question: I write songs because it's fun for me. I don't give a flying {censored} about artistry, or emotion, or feelings, or messages, or intellectualism, or money. I just do it because I like it.

• Moderators

To answer the question: I write songs because it's fun for me. I don't give a flying {censored} about artistry, or emotion, or feelings, or messages, or intellectualism, or money. I just do it because I like it.

Can't you see you are being guilty of what you are accusing others of doing? This here...

"I don't give a flying {censored} about artistry, or emotion, or feelings..."

Really? Then why are you so adamant in your communications here at this forum? You're trying very hard to come off as a punk rock Messiah. That's like reverse racism, or not. Can't think of a closer analogy. So, rest assured, we get it. You're cool.

So, what's all this about self importance? Good lord, this is transparent, high school searching for a place to plant my identity boots. Including the insecure finger pointing. And yes, I'm now pointing the finger at you. Cause you seem above trolling, but if you are, if you really are, you need to rise up a little and knock it off.

Everybody has their own way. And you are entitled to yours, until the vicious finger pointing starts up...

The reason I'm writing this is because, to some degree, I get you and your personality. But it might be a bit more productive to lighten up and the confrontational 'tude. Why not get involved by trying to bring your sensibilities to a critique? And no, not an angry slam of someone's work, but an honest attempt to help another writer do his thing.

We should be on the same team. Even if another's sensibilities aren't yours.

• Members

Can't you see you are being guilty of what you are accusing others of doing? This here...

"I don't give a flying {censored} about artistry, or emotion, or feelings..."

Really? Then why are you so adamant in your communications here at this forum? You're trying very hard to come off as a punk rock Messiah. That's like reverse racism, or not. Can't think of a closer analogy. So, rest assured, we get it. You're cool.

So, what's all this about self importance? Good lord, this is transparent, high school searching for a place to plant my identity boots. Including the insecure finger pointing. And yes, I'm now pointing the finger at you. Cause you seem above trolling, but if you are, if you really are, you need to rise up a little and knock it off.

Everybody has their own way. And you are entitled to yours, until the vicious finger pointing starts up...

The reason I'm writing this is because, to some degree, I get you and your personality. But it might be a bit more productive to lighten up and the confrontational 'tude. Why not get involved by trying to bring your sensibilities to a critique? And no, not an angry slam of someone's work, but an honest attempt to help another writer do his thing.

We should be on the same team. Even if another's sensibilities aren't yours.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just voicing my opinion. This is a message board, right? We post opinions, right? Post messages, right? Was I supposed to sign some online waiver that says I must agree with everything anyone says? I'm not trying to be punk rock anything. What the {censored} does that even mean? Lol. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, and I'm not concerned with winning any online popularity contests.

Let's recap: Someone else posted something that was blunt, yet truthful, and I agreed. Someone else asked for clarification. I gave it. What's the big deal?

Some of my music is in my sig. Feel free to critique it all you want.

• Members

Yup, I sure do, because it's 100% correct. Trolling or not, that dude nailed it. Just look at the self-righteous romanticism and blatant pomposity of the responses in this very thread. Some of you think songwriting is some otherworldly experience that makes you enlightened or puts you above others. I hate to burst your bubble, but it's just a song. Words (usually) and some music. Big deal. Any shmoe can do it, and there is no good or bad song.

Well see, I don't recall anyone saying that it "puts [them] above others" or that they're "more enlightened" or that songwriting is some "otherwordly experience". Did everyone say that - 'cos that stream of invective was directed at "everyone (sic) of you" wasn't it?

If someone had said that I'd agree they'd deserve the bubble-bursting.

If you ask me, most of the responses here were reasonable attempts at answering the question and for some people it's not just "fun", (though I wouldn't deny that it is indeed fun).

In your opinion, is there no songwriter/composer in existence (or in history) who should be excused from the comments made?

• Moderators

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just voicing my opinion. This is a message board, right? We post opinions, right? Post messages, right? Was I supposed to sign some online waiver that says I must agree with everything anyone says? I'm not trying to be punk rock anything. What the {censored} does that even mean? Lol. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, and I'm not concerned with winning any online popularity contests.

Let's recap: Someone else posted something that was blunt, yet truthful, and I agreed. Someone else asked for clarification. I gave it. What's the big deal?

Right.

You speak in a provocative way. Meaning, you try to provoke. It's silly.

• Members

above others" or that they're "more enlightened" or that songwriting is some "otherwordly experience". Did
everyone
say that - 'cos that stream of invective was directed at "everyone (sic) of you" wasn't it?

If someone had said that I'd agree they'd deserve the bubble-bursting.

If you ask me, most of the responses here were reasonable attempts at answering the question and for some people it's not just "fun",
(though I wouldn't deny that it is indeed fun)

In your opinion, is there no songwriter/composer in existence (or in history) who should be excused from the comments made?

What part of the simple, 4-letter word "some" do you not understand?

• Members

Right.

You speak in a provocative way. Meaning, you try to provoke. It's silly.

Hmmm, my first post in this thread was something along the lines of......

+100000000000

Well said.

Yup, that's really poking a stick at the mean old baboon, huh? Comments like that start wars!

Get real bro. It's not my fault if truth hurts people. They don't have to fly off the handle. If anything, it just confirms my points.

• Members

What part of the simple, 4-letter word "some" do you not understand?

Ahem, "everyone" isn't a 4 letter word and it doesn't mean "some". I'd still like to see the post where someone - anyone - said they were above others or more enlightened. I don't see it.

My response to the OP was quite simple. If I define myself as anything then it's as a songwriter. That doesn't mean I think I'm special - any more than an accountant/doctor/lawyer/teacher/architect who defines him/herself as such thinks they're special. As for the "any schmoe can do it" - well, yes but that could be said about anything (if you don't add the word "well" to the end of the statement). So what?

• Members

Ahem, "everyone" isn't a 4 letter word and it doesn't mean "some". I'd still like to see the post where someone - anyone - said they were above others or more enlightened. I don't see it.

My response to the OP was quite simple. If I define myself as anything then it's as a songwriter. That doesn't mean I think I'm special - any more than an accountant/doctor/lawyer/teacher/architect who defines him/herself as such thinks they're special. As for the "any schmoe can do it" - well, yes but that could be said about anything (if you don't add the word "well" to the end of the statement). So what?

Pssst, dude, I said "Some of you". Try to keep up here. If you're gonna talk to me about something I said, then use my words, not someone elses. I'll give you one more try.

• Members
Pssst, dude, I said "Some of you". Try to keep up here. If you're gonna talk to me about something I said, then use my words, not someone elses. I'll give you one more try.

Slippery ain't ya? You're not getting out that easily. a) You gave a +1000000 (forgot how many zeros) to the post that said "everyone". b) I still haven't seen the examples of the "some of you" to which you're referring.

Archived