Why do we do this? :)

polishpaul

• Members

I put the smiley in the title because I searched:

"Why do we do this?"

...and got the reply:

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:

why, do, we, do, this"

Too long or too short?.....make your mind up!

Anyway.....

We can Help the Aged, weed the flowerbeds, watch Kojak AGAIN.....so why do we do this.....songwriting? Maybe it's been asked before, but you've read my search result......

Why........?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because I can. That might sound weird, but it's the truth. I feel fortunate to be able to write songs and like I'd be wasting a gift if I didn't.

Sometimes people listen. Sometimes they don't. It's cool when others get into them but either way it's cheaper than a shrink

• Members

I started writing because I just wasn't a good enough player to do justice to anyone else's tunes.

Thirty five years later I think I'm still doing it for the same basic reason. I play simple stuff. That simple music brings on simple lyrics and another song is born.

• Members

lol, because everyone of you is an egotistical self-important delusional idiot that thinks you're special and have some great deeper understanding of the universe than the rest of the spiritually challenge peasants, and that it's imperative that you share and express this great power and insight with the mere little earthlings you so tolerantly allow to co-exist in your advanced state of consciousness...

what a load..lol

• Members

lol, because everyone of you is an egotistical self-important delusional idiot that thinks you're special and have some great deeper understanding of the universe than the rest of the spiritually challenge peasants, and that it's imperative that you share and express this great power and insight with the mere little earthlings you so tolerantly allow to co-exist in your advanced state of consciousness...

what a load..lol

Wow, I've never seen it summed up so succinctly.

Are you a writer? :cool:

• Members

Ha! Yes, that is true what you say, hoppy {censored}ko. I admit it. I truly do.

I also admit I'm bordering on emotional dysfunction and if I DON'T channel my feelings somehow (and this is an enjoyable way to do so), I WILL hurt someone.

every person has felt the same feelings every songwriter has felt. a songwriter is not unique to anything, other than they would rather sit around plunking on a piano instead of going out and riding a jet ski. anyone can write a song. it's not a special talent or a gift from god, it's mathematics..plain and simple.

• Moderators

every person has felt the same feelings every songwriter has felt. a songwriter is not unique to anything, other than they would rather sit around plunking on a piano instead of going out and riding a jet ski. anyone can write a song. it's not a special talent or a gift from god, it's mathematics..plain and simple.

What is it you were saying about self-importance? :) Though, I'll admit you're making a good point. But... SO?!?

• Members

I started because I was down, and for some odd reason it helped me not focus so much on the {censored}e...now I make {censored}e, but at least its mine. It doesn't take a genius to do it...but it does take talent to do it well...still working on that part.

• Members

I suppose I should chip in myself......

I write, generally in prose or poem form, because I find it fascinating that one moment there's nothing...........and then there's something................and even just a few minutes later there's something that looks like it's been there forever.

Then there's the rush, sometimes............I know something is materializing...........have to be careful.................take it easy and don't panic.....

Maybe it's a bit like giving birth :).

Only a bit, though.....at most.

• Members

Problem is....I suffer from word fondness.....incurable!

Like....

"There's a spig bider in the bathroom!"

....registers exactly the same as the correct version, to my ears.

And how, speaking of bathrooms, it's much more fun to sing:

"Some...where.........over the rainybow........

than the original, without the added 'y'.

• Members

what a load..lol

Yep you're so right. How ridiculous it is to have songs in the world. It'd be a much better place without them. How very dare anyone have the audacity and sheer gall to actually attempt to create anything when they could and should be going out and riding on jet-skis.

• Members

I don

Archived