What's the weirdest thing you've ever written song lyrics on?

grace_slick

• Members

Ok, I'm waiting impatiently for a movie to start and I'm bored, so...ever scribbled song lyrics down on something rather unconventional and more unusual than your standard piece of paper?

I'm thinking...pieces of orange peel...a tissue...toilet paper...a pillow...your partner's skin...stuff like that. lol

• Members

Opening lines are important, (or so I believe). A couple times I've plunked down an opening line to a musical pattern i'm working on with no particular direction, and decided to create a story-line from there. It's kinda cool. Sometimes you can take it anywhere you want from a good starting point.

• Members

ever scribbled song lyrics down on something rather unconventional and more unusual than your standard piece of paper?

I have a pretty good memory, so I usually don't write anything down until things start to gel.

Once in a while I might stop at a pay phone, call myself up, and leave a message on my machine with the first snippets of a song idea.

I've written some of my best stuff while I was in the bath tub, the sauna, on a subway train, or while I'm out walking (though my walks are usually reserved for my endless revisions).

I've probably written dozens of songs, if not more, where I didn't write anything down until weeks, months, or even years later.

Is that unconventional?

LCK

• Members

I have a pretty good memory, so I usually don't write anything down until things start to gel.

Once in a while I might stop at a pay phone, call myself up, and leave a message on my machine with the first snippets of a song idea.

I've written some of my best stuff while I was in the bath tub, the sauna, on a subway train, or while I'm out walking (though my walks are usually reserved for my endless revisions).

I've probably written dozens of songs, if not more, where I didn't write
anything
down until weeks, months, or even years later.

Is that unconventional?

LCK

What is this... pay phone?

For about my first four songs, I was able to keep things in my head. I'd scribble them down when I was writing (for some reason, even though I often used my typewriter for fiction and sometimes poetry, I felt drawn to pen and paper in those early days of songwriting). But after I lost track of a few things, I finally broke down and started using notebooks. (Amazingly, I don't recall ever losing a notebook, although I lost a few pages that got torn out.)

My memory isn't so good (although I used to keep upwards of 60 phone numbers in my head -- but I finally stopped when I got tired of friends calling me up to get other friends' numbers, since they said I never had to look them up and it was faster than directory assistance [which was free in those days])...

But I once wrote a three verse song while slicing my motorcycle through freeway traffic on my way home for lunch one day when I really wanted to get out of the warehouse I managed (it was 15 miles each way so I figured if I averaged 60 miles per hour that gave me a half hour at my little beachside flat). I remembered it long enough to get in the door, turn on my electric guitar and grab a pen and notebook.

So, in a sense, the weirdest thing I ever wrote a song down on was my short-term memory... talk about writing in the sand...

Archived