Friday Influences Thread! 04-15-11 pay up cheaters!

Lee Knight

• Members

More of an influence on keeping on at it than the music itself (although its bloody great)

This is my friends band - itunes number one download.... tour support for slash.... been at it 10 years and fair play they never gave up just got better and better

[video=youtube;N7clibOhA_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7clibOhA_4&playnext=1&list=PLEB383AC287B38B3F

• Moderators

He did write that melody. Arranged by Alfred Newman. It was used in the score for Modern Times and it wasn't a song yet. Just a great melody. And from Wiki:

According to film composer David Raksin, the music was written by him (Chaplin) as a young man wanting to make a name for himself. Chaplin would sit, often in the washroom, humming tunes and telling Raksin to "take this down". Raksin's job was to turn the humming into a score and create timings and synchronization that fit the situations. Chaplin was a violinist and had some musical knowledge, but he was not an orchestrator and was unfamiliar with synchronization.

• Members

He did write that melody. Arranged by Alfred Newman. It was used in the score for Modern Times and it wasn't a song yet. Just a great melody. And from Wiki:

According to film composer David Raksin, the music was written by him (Chaplin) as a young man wanting to make a name for himself. Chaplin would sit, often in the washroom, humming tunes and telling Raksin to "take this down". Raksin's job was to turn the humming into a score and create timings and synchronization that fit the situations. Chaplin was a violinist and had some musical knowledge, but he was not an orchestrator and was unfamiliar with synchronization.

That's pretty sweet. I've seen interviews where they talked about Otis Redding doing the same thing for horn arrangements.

It's basically the same thing I do for arrangements, except I play it on a midi controller, and some software package makes "sense" of it

• Members

I just made my way through a Mose Allison disc---"If silence was golden, you wouldn't have a dime" :thu:

I may be repeating myself here, but I've spent the last few weeks listening to Dolly Parton's Jolene record. The title track is amazing:

Gtv3idYAC8I

The arrangement is amazing--Dolly's overdubbed harmony vocals are chilling--but the lyric is the best. I can't think of a more pathetic position to be in, and Dolly keeps twisting the knife.

The rest of the album is great, too. The production is solid--it sounds like an album--and the writing is consistently top-quality. And she's got a song of love and devotion written for and titled "Randy", which tickles my fancy as I've long been way into songs about wonderful people with terrible names.

• Members

Nice! Band of Horses made a mark this week.

Yes they did. These two clinched it for me.

[video=youtube;1xLatHZlwQU]

[video=youtube;ik3G_q_6RtU]

(This one I'm thinking might be a good model for "Endlessly" when we tackle that one.)

• Members

Some stuff I've been listening into lately:

Paolo Conte is one of my favorites. Though he's most known for his songs Azzuro and Via Con Me (It's Wonderful), i find this song of his particularly transfixing.

[video=youtube;iJ2w4lDVg-k]

I love the LA beat scene (Flying Lotus, Samiyam, TOKiMONSTA, Nosaj Thing) - really I do - but personally I think this producer from Switzerland who's got the same vibe should get tons more recognition that he does.

[video=youtube;G74C_Z0jgz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G74C_Z0jgz8&feature=related

Call me hopelessly optimistic, but I'm really hoping for a new proper Boredoms album, not just another of the Super Roots releases. But I'm happy that Yoshimi p-we and her band OOIOO are still going strong.

[video=youtube;U6cOKM459_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6cOKM459_k

I was introduced to the music of Franco Donatoni after having explored some other notable modern Italian composers (namely Aldo Clementi, Giacinto Scelsi, and Luciano Chailly)

[video=youtube;ZI7MEnElhOc]

I'm not sure where I'd be if it weren't for the awesome folks over at Finders Keepers records mining sonic jewels from times forgotten labyrinth. This is from a compilation of rare Persian pop from the 60s and 70s.

[video=youtube;yhsY2CCx_TU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsY2CCx_TU&feature=related

Criminally underrated band made from the remnants of Olivia Tremor Control. Will Cullen Hart is an unsung luminary in modern music.

[video=youtube;YAFrlNo_6Nc]

• Members

Love that Mose

I remember the day in my twenties -- probably not long before that vid was shot, actually -- when I finally saw a photo of Mose after hearing him on the local jazz stations since I was 12 or so... I felt like someone kicked my feet out from under me. How could a
white guy
sing like that? How could he be named
Mose?
:D

Here's a very bad video of a very cool Greg Brown song called "Mose Allison Played Here."

Here's the lyric:

Mose Allison Played Here

The joint is a dump

the owner is broke

at least that's what he said

the p.a.'s a joke

the waitpersons are snotty, the bartender's rude

they want to make sure I know they forgot me

but not their attitude

the bellyachers played last night

everybody got sick

don't even try dancing, your feet would just stick

the band signs their poster "f**k u miguel"

and that's all the good part

the bad part's the smell

"And what was your name again? Oh - yeah - right - Brown.

Your crowd just drinks water. Surprised you're still around.

And nobody's coming, because hey man you see advertising's expensive.

Hey, what guarantee?"

But as I set up I am proud to be here

because once last November,

once last November,

yeah, once last November

Mose Allison played here.

LCK

Archived