What made John Lennon a better songwriter than Paul McCartney?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

I never liked the beatles THAT much, but I have found 95% of the Beatles stuff that I DO like was written by John Lennon.

I've tried to figure out why that is - from both a performance aspect and a lyrical/songwriting aspect.

I think John Lennon wrote a lot more darker lyrics about loss and other dark stuff. Paul, OTOH, liked to write about lovey-dovey stuff and more bubblegum stuff as well (although I do like "Eight Days a Week" and "I saw her standing there" because they have a nice memorable melody.

I saw some recent biographical-fiction movie which was about the early Lennon when he met Paul and George in school, and it seemed John was much more of a rebel, while Paul was much more of a wimp. I don't know how accurate this portrayal was, but it sort of characterized how I always thought of these two dudes based on their lyrics.

A lot of songs are co-written by Paul & John. Take I Saw Her Standing there as an example:

Well, she was just 17,

You know what I mean,

And the way she looked was way beyond compare.

So how could I dance with another (ooh)

When I saw her standin' there.

Well she looked at me, and I, I could see

That before too long I'd fall in love with her.

She wouldn't dance with another (whooh)

When I saw her standin' there.

Well, my heart went "boom,"

When I crossed that room,

And I held her hand in mine...

It always seemed to me that Lennon wrote the "just seventeen part" (17 year olds- awesome young supple flesh for sexy time! yeah!) while paul wrote the lame part about his heart and stuff. I don't know if this is true, but it's how I always figured it happened.

From a performance related aspect, John always sang more from his gut and more aggressive which I like (Shake It Up Baby is my favorite vocal performance of his), vs Paul which is more wimpy. I had heard that John was always envious of Paul's greater range and vocal ability, but I always thought Paul should have been envious of John's more animalistic vocals.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. What are yours?

• Members

Lennon hated his voice... believe it or not. He was very self-conscious about it. He was also hooked on heroin in the latter Beatles years when he was writing the dark, creative stuff. I guess Bill Hicks was right...

• Members

Lennon hated his voice... believe it or not. He was very self-conscious about it. He was also hooked on heroin in the latter Beatles years when he was writing the dark, creative stuff. I guess Bill Hicks was right...

uh, what did bill hicks say?

• Members

oh yeah, thats a complete different topic, but for sure. drugs enhance creativity and widen your palette of experiences both emotional and physical. the exception being alcohol which blots creativity. im writing a song on withdrawals right now. lol.

but back to the topic, lennon is a much better singer/songwriter than mccartney. he's got attitude and a broader pallet of je-ne-sais-quoi

• Members

1) You're looking at a 40+ year old lyric from present-day eyes. It's a pretty common problem for underthinkers. Guys in their early twenties singing about girls who were seventeen was not edgy material back then.

2) That song specifically, and that entire period generally, was written, in Paul's words, "eyeball to eyeball". Neither John nor Paul can sort out who wrote what of those early songs, and I don't think you're better at picking it out than you are.

3) John wrote some of the most wimpy (and worst) lyrics of the Beatles material, including "I'm going to love her 'til the cows come home". You can cherry pick to prove a point, except then your point doesn't get proven.

4) Have you ever heard "Helter Skelter" or "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"? Pretty ballsy singing from Paul, and on pitch, too.

Your opinions in this thread and others suggest you have a tendency towards low-road logic. This leads to a life of soap operas and reality television.

• Members

Your opinions in this thread and others suggest you have a tendency towards low-road logic. This leads to a life of soap operas and reality television.

jerry springer is my favorite. no other television show epitomizes the zeitgeist of the general american population & I like to be in touch with the masses.

• Members

Snobby songwriter wannabes always hide behind the Beatles. Time to move on. Forget the fucking Beatles. They wrote music for screaming little girls.

Whip out your soapboxes and flame at will.

You're funny. :lol:

• Members

This falls under the No Fan Threads rule. It's closed.

No fan/favorite artist threads

No threads focused on specific songs or artists. But we encourage thoughtful discussions about song genres and songwriting conventions and encourage comparative analysis of varied works.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2732356-WELCOME-to-the-SW-FORUM-Guidelines-Resources-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

Better bone up on your rules, DukeOfBoom.

This is precisely the type of troll thread that rule was created to combat.

I've said it before -- this is a zero tolerance zone for trolling and baiting other forum users.

I know I'm not the only one who is finding your behavior childish and disruptive. If you want to continue posting in this forum, you're going to have to abide by the rules.

Archived