Slipping into the Studio

tbry

• Members

I hear a lot of guys/gals here say...I'm gonna track this in the studio tonight...or I'm gonna slip into the studio...do you guys have like a special place just for recordng? It sounds sophisticated...I use the same computer I am typing on now with a small recording setup attached...I just plug it in and hit the record button...well, a little more than that but the idea is I don't go to a special room with a dedicated computer...I just use what I have...tell me how you set up yours...is it special or the same thing we see you type out here...

In the interest of songwriting I'll call this...

Slipping into the studio

Me you and Julio

Its not a special place

Just hit record and use faith...:)

• Members

I have a Takamini G-series guitar; cheap but serviceable. I record my tunes using an Olympus hand-held digital recorder, with a separate Digital Reference mic, sitting on the edge of my computer desk. Then I then run the track through Garage Band to add echo, limit noise, boost the vocal, etc.

I'm not sure what this has to do with songwriting, though! Many times people will post questions in the songwriting forum about their tracks instead of about their music and lyrics.

I don't see the point, but maybe that's just me...

LCK

• Members

Since I've learned how much difference staging makes, I now considering mixing part of the writing process. Perhaps I am a different animal in that I start tracking when I only have the acoustic/lead vocal part written and use the layering process to compose the rest of the piece.

• Members

I'm not sure what this has to do with songwriting, though! Many times people will post questions in the songwriting forum about their tracks instead of about their music and lyrics.

I don't see the point, but maybe that's just me...

LCK

Did you have to lay me away so quickly...thats why I put in a verse as to throw Blue off the track!!...No, you had to do it!!:facepalm::):lol: Now finish the next verse so we are on topic...quickly before anyone notices...

• Members

Since I've learned how much difference staging makes, I now considering mixing part of the writing process. Perhaps I am a different animal in that I start tracking when I only have the acoustic/lead vocal part written and use the layering process to compose the rest of the piece.

Thanks, see now that appears to me as part of the writing process...

• Members

I hear a lot of guys/gals here say...I'm gonna track this in the studio tonight...or I'm gonna slip into the studio...do you guys have like a special place just for recordng? It sounds sophisticated...I use the same computer I am typing on now with a small recording setup attached...I just plug it in and hit the record button...well, a little more than that but the idea is I don't go to a special room with a dedicated computer...I just use what I have...tell me how you set up yours...is it special or the same thing we see you type out here...

In the interest of songwriting I'll call this...

Slipping into the studio

Me you and Julio

Its not a special place

Just hit record and use faith...
:)

I used to have a dedicated room in my old house (and a hallway as a solo booth, mostly for clients, but I had it rigged with a remote control if I needed it) and a bunch of synths/modules.

But these days, I use a very stripped down setup, all virtual synths, some of which were free and some of which came with my DAW program. I have an 88 key piano-weighted MIDI controller. I use my main computer. I've tried setting up new computers for just audio -- but the new computer always works so good, you want to use it for everything. :D The computer's nothing fancy, a 5 year old refurb from Dell, but I know my way around a Windows XP machine; it's pretty well optimized.

My normal input chain is pretty minimal, a Rode NT1 mic using the VLZ preamp on my old Mackie board (which I also use for monitoring since I don't like any latency in the cue feed, which you almost always get with the DSP cue mix from most interfaces). From there it goes through an old ART Dual Levelar 'leveling amp' style compressor and into an old MOTU 828mkII. These days I normally use a pair of Yamaha NS10's for monitoring. Throw in some inexpensive AKG headphones and that's about it for the every day line up.

I did set up my apartment so that I could use the bedroom as a dedicated studio -- but I found I really did not like working in it, particularly after I got the noise reduction stuff (sleeping bag and moving blanket) into the windows, which makes it particularly dark, and it's small, besides, maybe 9.5' x 10'. When I bought a laptop, I found myself working out on the 'dining room' table, which is in a corner between two big ~5x5' windows. I ended up doing my dayjob work out there and, when I got a FW interface, I ended up doing my music work out there, as well. When I bought the refurb box for next to nothing as a sort of auxiliary server and realized it was stupid quiet and surprisingly not terribly underpowered, I made it my primary machine and set it up out there (er, here) as well.

• Members

Thanks Blue, for understanding...it sounds as if you have tried both but in the end a simple user friendly setup will work as well as a big ole setup because yours always sounds nice. Do you do like Oswlek? I mean kinda write your basic song out, then get that bare bones recording as tight as you can then continue to write the other parts over it, or does it all come at once?

More on topic verses...;)don't want anyone thinking this isn't about songwriting...:)

When we are rolling on a track

Sounds like we gonna get phat

But what's happened everytime

Is me and Julio just think your fine

• Members

For demo stuff... I have 1 Shure SM-57, a Nord Electro 73 (I don't use midi... just play live), a Martin OM-1 acoustic, a Samick SAT-650 Semi-Hollowbody electric, and a Mac with Garageband using an M-Audio 1 channel USB interface.

When I say I'm going into the studio... I'm referring to a real studio, where I pay money to record 'for real'. I'd love to learn to really do home recording, but just don't seem to have the time right now (three kids, aged 1, 3, and 5).

• Members

It's my basement/guest room.

Windows 7 PC

RME Multiface A/D converter

4 channels of preamp/DI (Great River, GT Brick, MBox 1)

Bunch of mics (Sennheiser 421, SM 57, Blue Baby Bottle, R0de NT-1A, Mojave 201, SM 81, Cascade Fathead)

Hot Plate attenuator w/line out

70's Bassman head, Peavey Classic 30 head, Avatar 1x12 cab

Roland 61 key MIDI controller

Bunch of soft synths and samplers (Addictive Drums, Reason, B4, Lounge Lizard, Rapture, Triangle II)

FL Studio DAW

Bunch of VST effects (Voxengo, Kjaerhus Classic, Fish Fillets, Camel Space)

• Members

It's my basement/guest room.

Windows 7 PC

RME Multiface A/D converter

4 channels of preamp/DI (Great River, GT Brick, MBox 1)

Bunch of mics (Sennheiser 421, SM 57, Blue Baby Bottle, R0de NT-1A, Mojave 201, SM 81, Cascade Fathead)

Hot Plate attenuator w/line out

70's Bassman head, Peavey Classic 30 head, Avatar 1x12 cab

Roland 61 key MIDI controller

Bunch of soft synths and samplers (Addictive Drums, Reason, B4, Lounge Lizard, Rapture, Triangle II)

FL Studio DAW

Bunch of VST effects (Voxengo, Kjaerhus Classic, Fish Fillets, Camel Space)

You make some really good home recordings...

• Members

Zoom H4 fitted with a Radio Shack desk-top tripod for recording. Then, tossed in the salad bowl a little, seasoned to taste (Garage Band) and served. Servings: Infinite. I could use the H4 as an interface with a couple Shure mics I have but I find staying lazy with the set-up is much more conducive to playing. The simpler it is, the more likely I will actually record, or at least attempt to think about it.

That little setup sounds very good as well...

• Members

Nah, my "studio" is my study / spare bedroom...I'd LOVE a dedicated proper studio, but we just don't have the room for it. I just sit here at my computer...same computer I use for internet browsing, emailing, playing games, preparing boring letters, applications or Excel spreadsheets...and then when I want to do the fun stuff, I open up the DAW and plug in the mic.

• Members

Thanks Blue, for understanding...it sounds as if you have tried both but in the end a simple user friendly setup will work as well as a big ole setup because yours always sounds nice. Do you do like Oswlek? I mean kinda write your basic song out, then get that bare bones recording as tight as you can then continue to write the other parts over it, or does it all come at once?

More on topic verses...;)don't want anyone thinking this isn't about songwriting...
:)

When we are rolling on a track

Sounds like we gonna get phat

But what's happened everytime

Is me and Julio just think your fine

;)

I often record an acoustic version or two of new songs as I'm working them out. Sometimes I'll do a couple of 'full' productions, too. I find that it helps me clarify my thinking about a song's structure when I'm forced to think about that structure in the context of bar counts and chord durations. (I often use Band in a Box, the robot arrangement generator, to force discipline on myself, since, with the obstinacy of a robot, it insists that I nail down those changes and bar counts.)

Otherwise, I just tend to play them as I feel them at any given time... and that often results in songs that end up with multiple arrangements, sometimes without me actually realizing it.

(I've written before about how band mates used to go nuts because I'd tell them a song was arranged in one fashion one practice and come in the next playing it in a substantially different way -- without even realizing it. That's one of the reasons that some of my band projects often had two or more recorders going through practice. The other players wanted to be able to bust me with hard evidence... :D )

Archived