Friday the 13th Influences Thread 05-13-11

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Come on. You've lurked, you've snuck around like a sniveling scaredy cat, and today... you are coming out. You will post what made you the towering beacon of poetic wisdom and musical grace you are today. Ahem.

For me...

Back in th late 70's, early 80's, the Chili Peppers were a cool band. Anthony didn't "sing". Flea was pioneering something old and new. A Hendrix and Bootsy mash. I saw them many times, wearing nothing but tube socks. Not on their feet. I am not a fan today. I guess I miss the socks?

But the band Anthony hung out and roadied for as a kid? Anthym. The Chili's guitarist, Hillel Slovac, now passed due OD, was playing with Anthym before the Chili Peppers even existed. And then one day (1980?) he quit the Peppers and reformed Anthym and changed the name to...

What Is This?

I saw them. They were... freaking GREAT. Alain Johannes, channeled a young Jack Bruce vocally. And when I saw them, he was covering bass as well. Jack Bruce all the way that night. A young Jack Irons on drums (Pearl Jam, Raging Slab, Eleven). Johannes has since gone on to form the influential group Eleven with Natasha Schneider (now also passed). Alice in Chains? Eleven was first.

This Spinners cover killed me that night in 1981. Then it was 3 piece. And they sounded full, ominous, cool. It's always been in the back of my mind what you could do with the barest of lineups.

[video=youtube;R5rH07kbOIc]

[video=youtube;JxDWxePPmKU]

[video=youtube;gYKKKw5XJtk]

• Members

My anniversary is today. Going stay at a B&B overlooking the Mississippi River. With the water as high as it is right now, it should be pretty inspiring. We went and looked at it already. It is pretty nuts to see the water that high.

• Members

For all you triskaidekaphobes out there...

[video=youtube;uuThNm_iLRs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuThNm_iLRs

For those of you more inclined to whistle in the dark... here's an odd little semi-treat... Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart doing a song they used to do a few years back... 41 to be precise. (Looks like Jeff, whose fine guitar playing has lulled so many yups to sleep over the years on his series of mostly polite instrumental albums, should take some sartorial cues from the normally none-too-dignified Mr Stewart, who, frankly, looks great.) Ok... the performance is more old times sake than anything, but, hey, Rod looks good.

[video=youtube;q3K2jwzpc0U]

And, since it's only 8 days 'til the End of Times, I'd be remiss if I didn't address that. I'm not the biggest REM fan but this was the first tune that popped into my mind on the subject...

[video=youtube;Z0GFRcFm-aY]

[Not sure who the portrait the skater kid's holding is... at first* I was thinking maybe William Miller, one of the first big American prophets of the end of the world as we know it, whose predictions that the Second Advent of Jesus would occur on Oct 22, 1844. When nothing happened... there was confusion and disappointment, and, after a few more false starts, Miller would give up the prognostication biz -- but many of his followers continued on, predicting various reinterpretations and making their own prognostications. A number of sects grew out of that, including the Seventh Day Adventists (who had their own series of 'refined' predictions that they later had to backpedal). *But the timeline is wrong, it appears to be a photo and photography was only then just being refined, and it appears whoever he is is wearing more end of 19th century garb.]

• Members

Listened to this a lot when I was about 15. I remember being very impressed that Clapton continued his solo from the verse over the bridge changes:

[video=youtube;mvJ6VcAoTSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJ6VcAoTSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJ6VcAoTSQ

This was also a big fave from that time frame. Combining partial chords and single notes in the lead guitar part!

[video=youtube;ngIxuGOVGeQ]

• Members

My anniversary is today. Going stay at a B&B overlooking the Mississippi River. With the water as high as it is right now, it should be pretty inspiring. We went and looked at it already. It is pretty nuts to see the water that high.

Congrats, and stay dry. :thu:

My anniversary is tomorrow. Here's the song Mrs. S and I danced to 17 years ago.

[video=youtube;-_kjR487TwI]

• Members

Happy anniversary!

If you do go down to see the river, be careful.

• Members

Yeah, I love that. That's a great, crank-it-up tune. It sounds like Clapton doubled the solo.

YouTube is having server errors right now. I'll have to post my influences later, I guess...

LCK

• Members

I love this song. Years ago (many years ago) I had an 8-track tape with a dozen different interpretations.

I also used to throw it in when I played at pizza joints etc. in college (along with the James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Danny O'Keefe, Paul Siebel, Bob Dylan, and Townes Van Zandt songs ).

The story goes that a drunk Hoagy Carmichael noodled this tune on a piano in the student center during homecoming week at Indiana University. He was a former IU law student, now a lawyer practicing in Florida, when he wrote it.

A day or two later, a friend of his asked, "What was that song you were playing the other night?"

"What song?" asked Carmichael. He had no memory of it.

His friend hummed the tune.

Suddenly remembering it, Carmichael ran to the nearest piano to find that magical melody once again.

It was first recorded as a jazz instrumental, then words were added by Mitchell Parrish in 1929.

It quickly became one of the most recorded songs in history.

Here are three of my favorite versions. First, an instrumental rendition by John Coltrane.

[video=youtube;oBht5QpjuDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBht5QpjuDE

Here's arguably the absolute best version, played and sung by Louis Armstrong.

[video=youtube;r94-7nJt-WM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94-7nJt-WM

Here's another great recording from the 1960s, done by Spanky and Our Gang.

[video=youtube;EyWYeCJQB6E]

LCK

• Members

Thanks and back at ya

Thanks, roger that being careful. It is actually pretty scary when you think about how fast the close to shore water is even moving

Yeah... it probably doesn't qualify as the lazy Mississippi right now.

One of my friends drowned in the LA River back in the 90s. If you've ever been out here in the summer, that might seem almost impossible unless you were drunk and fell down in a deep puddle... but during the stormy season it can turn into something else entirely. We don't know the story but they found him near the mouth of the river with his arms around the body of a dog. We don't know if he jumped in to try to save the dog or they tried to save each other or what... It still makes me feel a little weird talking about it. He was a good guy.

• Moderators

I'm partial to the Louis and the Coltrane Stardust. Beautiful.

So... since you've gone all "multi-version" on us, and I do love when that happens, me too...

I've always thought this tune was cool. And bordering on saccharin. But so am I. And Art G? He's schmaltzy too. I love him.

[video=youtube;qBhRGOEKMIU]

[video=youtube;tUttnRlXrJk]

• Members

LCK

Great!

I love comparing and contrasting different version of songs, it's one of the great things about having an online music subscription (or the IP gray market of contemporary YouTube). I've done "Summertime," "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," "I'll Fly Away," "Amazing Grace," "She Moved Through the Fair," and others. Sometimes I kind of overdo it. Probably about 3 or 4 versions a sitting is best for a lot of songs.

Hoagie is a real Americana type, from his law background, his southern roots, to the fact that he often said he hated "Stardust" because people just wouldn't let him stop playing it. It's a great tune, though, such a nice melody -- and the afterthought lyrics are appropriately dreamy, too.

Here's my favorite Hoagie song (words by Johnny Mercer), sung here by the great Maxine Sullivan, with Ellis Larkins Trio.

[embedding disabled, audio only]

Here's a fine audio-only version of "How Deep is the Ocean, How High is the Sky" by Billie Holiday -- but someone has apparently tried to "remaster" it by jacking what treble there is, a bit painful. I hate tin-eared remasterings. (Maybe it was done by the uploader, I dunno. FWIW, it's not the same mastering as other releases I've heard/have of this version.)

[video=youtube;gUG2SQK03tU]

• Members

I've always thought this tune was cool. And bordering on saccharin. But so am I. And Art G? He's schmaltzy too. I love him.

Disney Girls has one of the prettiest melodies around, yet the lyric? Patchy, to put it mildly. Some good spots, "Hi Rick, Hi Dave, Hi Pop. Good morning Mom!" Some awful ones: "I'll fill your hands with kisses and a tootsie roll..." But, yeah, that tune is first rate.

Bruce Johnston -- who gradually became Brian Wilson's replacement in the Beach Boys, first on tour, and then as a bona fide Beach Boy -- wrote it. He also wrote "I am music, and I write the songs..." (which expresses the sentiment found in another thread here). He sings lead on the original version.

And what can you say about Art Garfunkel? One of the clearest, purest, most beautiful voices in pop history. Every time I have to sing in my upper register I at least unconsciously try to achieve that kind of purity and clarity. (That is, until my voice says, "Sorry, not gonna happen.")

Here's a great tune (and lyric) by Jimmy Webb from Garfunkel's Watermark LP. 1978. (And speaking of clarity and purity of tone, the sax solo at the end comes courtesy of Paul Desmond!)

[video=youtube;EJI57Fs5NrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJI57Fs5NrE

Artie's former partner had a hit that year with this tune, one of my favorite Paul Simon songs.

[video=youtube;5_H-LY4Jb2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_H-LY4Jb2M&feature=related

LCK

• Members

I usually think of Jeff and Rod (especially since Rod started putting out those mostly polite and quite snooze inducing Standards albums) in the exact opposite relationship. Well, except for the looking great part, we are completely in agreement there. ;)

• Members
I usually think of Jeff and Rod (especially since Rod started putting out those mostly polite and quite snooze inducing Standards albums) in the exact opposite relationship. Well, except for the looking great part, we are completely in agreement there.
;)

Compared the how he dressed in the late 70s and 80s? Are you kidding? He looks like a civilized member of society, now, not some aging, spandexed Sunset Blvd denizen.

• Moderators

Compared the how he dressed in the late 70s and 80s? Are you kidding? He looks like a civilized member of society, now, not some aging, spandexed Sunset Blvd denizen.

Guys...

I believe Blue had it right from the start. Rod looks good. Rod is good. My god, he's ancient. I can only wish. I resisted the urge to post the original.

His standards? Go for it, oh plaid one. I bought a CD of him covering rock standards like a cover band might. Why? Cause he's {censored}ing ancient and still has something to tell me. He still has something to say. Maybe not as vibrant. But certainly informed with experience. So cut Rod a break.

Wouldn't you want a career as potent as his? Of course you would. Don't string up someone for a natural progression in age.

Otherwise, I'm screwed. :)

Archived