Friday Influences Thread!!!!!05-27-11!!!!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Boy Howdy! A three day weekend?!?! OK! Come on in and share what has inspired you anytime in the past. This morning... or as far back as inside yer mommy's tummy.

There was this period of early 90's rock that kicked my ass. And I do like a good ass kicking. Raging Slab knew how to bend a riff inside out and make it bleed...

[video=youtube;_nIaVg_A710]

And in retrospect, Rob Zombie was having a lot more fun and grins than it seemed at the time. Silly comic book horror. Fun. And ass kicking.

[video=youtube;yPNFVj-pISU]

• Members

California, beach, random text messages, blue2blue's classical guitar and company... We wrote and recorded a song yesterday. As far as tunes, I've been listening to alot of flaming lips, good stuff for walking through airports and what not

• Moderators

Slow morning! Tough crowd. Left for the long weekend already? OK... here's a Sara Bareilles I didnt' post. Awesome pop tune. Girl's got nice prhasing. Girl's got balls too. I like this girl. (Hey, there's Ben Folds!) Wait! Is that a... KAY guitar I see at 3:42?!?!

[video=youtube;zlxB9zGH8GU]

No words, My tears won't make any room for more,

And it don't hurt, like anything I've ever felt before, this is

No broken heart,

No familiar scars,

This territory goes uncharted...

Just me, in a room sunk down in a house in a town, and I

Don't breathe, no I never meant to let it get away from me

Now, too much to hold, everybody has to get their hands on gold,

And I want uncharted.

Stuck under the ceiling I made, I can't help but feeling...

I'm going down,

Follow if you want, I won't just hang around,

Like you'll show me where to go,

I'm already out, foolproof idea, so don't ask me how

To get started, it's all uncharted...

Each day, countin' up the minutes, till I get alone, 'cause I can't stay

In the middle of it all, it's nobody's fault, but I'm

So lonely, Never knew how much I didn't know,

Oh, everything is uncharted.

I know I'm getting nowhere, when I only sit and stare like...

I'm going down,

I'm already out, of foolproof idea, so don't ask me how

To get started, it's all uncharted.

Jump start my kaleidoscope heart,

Love to watch the colors fade,

They may not make sense,

But they sure as hell made me.

I won't go as a passenger, no

Waiting for the road to be laid

Though I may be going down,

I'm taking flame over burning out

Compare, where you are to where you want to be, and you'll get nowhere

I'm going down,

I'm going down,

To get started, it's all uncharted...

• Members

Been on a Brian Wilson kick this week (partly due to last week's FIT and partly due to spending a lot of time thinking about backing vocals and vocal harmonies this week). I've been very impressed with the Wondermints work on the Smile re-recording - I think they are worthy successors to The Wrecking Crew.

Anyway, Good Vibrations has been one of my favorite pop songs for a long time. However, like many great works of art, part of its greatness is the ways in which it subverts genre conventions while simultaneously being a pre-eminent example of the genre. Think about the movie Psycho - in some ways it is the model for every horror movie to come, but Hitchcock spends a full half of the movie's running time on the red herring of the Janet Leigh plot!

It is tempting to imitate great works that you admire, but in many cases it is the genius of the author that allows the work to overcome its conflicted relationship with the genre, and replicating that conflict without supplying the underlying genius is a great way for an aspiring artist to waste a lot of time, effort and motivation.

[video=youtube;n1GXdk_W4M0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GXdk_W4M0

• Members

in all his blue glory. I'm sure he'll post it before too long. I'd do it, but I'm on a phone and that sounds far too difficult

What we should have done was shoot a little vid of us sitting out on the beach... didn't think about that. But I'll go down there and shoot a few quick panos a little later. While we were out there, I kept saying I should be going down there every day. Good excuse. (Although Ryan wrote the song back at my flat. I mostly made faces when he suggested lyrics I thought might undercut what he had developing. Kind of like dressage. :D )

I'll post the song in its own thread in a few minutes. :)

• Moderators

I am humbled by Smile. I watched this cool doc the other night on the lead up rehearsals for the Smile concerts in London. Same band by and large I saw for the Pet Sounds shows. Holy crap, what a great documentary. By now I know it's nerd rock but... I am one so... but hey, so's Paul, and everyone else...

[video=youtube;i3Qa4tQvQ34]

• Members

Ha! ^ Looking forward to it! Cool. We should do a "Visit Blue, write a tune!" game.

Oops... I just moved. Overnight. You'll find me under the Southern Pacific right-of-way bridge by Santa Fe and the 405 Freeway. Bring your own sleeping bag.

Since it takes a while to upload from under here (that iron rail overpass really messes with my phone's 3G connection), here's something for all you exotica/jazz fans to chew on...

This track and the Gypsy 66 album (another expensive, gatefold jazz record I had to save for a while to buy when I was in 10th grade) it was taken from was one of my transitions from cool jazz to mid 60s psychedelica... although this will sound a lot more cool jazz, I suspect, from our jaded 21st Century perspective.

[video=youtube;MDZUbAJ_qP0]

• Moderators

Oops... I
just
moved. Overnight. You'll find me under the Southern Pacific right-of-way bridge by Santa Fe and the 405 Freeway. Bring your own sleeping bag.

OK then... visit Lee and write a tune? I gotta room, I gotta beach, I gotta an understanding wife...

That'd be fun and would recharge my batteries!

Or... visit Lee and Blue at Lee's place for a writing sabbatical? On the beach? Mr. Blue?

Seriously. Bring the wife, partner, husband? Fam? Let's write some tunes?

• Members

You should turn the pad into a B-and-B and do songwriters' workshops! :D

Maybe you could give Ronan Murphy's Recording Boot Camp in Vicenza, Italy, a run for its money. (How's your Italian cooking? Judging from the vid I saw of one of Ronan's Italian workshops, looked like Italian cuisine was a big part of the attraction. :thu: [Actually, he does his workshops all around. It makes me kind of want to go into the workshop business. Now that's glamorous a glamorous profession. :D ])

• Members

here's a Sara Bareilles ... Awesome pop tune. Girl's got nice prhasing. Girl's got balls too. I like this girl.

Nice. And speaking of girls with balls... Janis Ian's first hit, "Society's Child" was very ballsy. Even her second (and only other hit) had some cojones too.

Being a jazz/bossa nova fan, I used to love seeing this song come up in the rotation when I worked in radio. I'm not a fan of some of her rhymes, but I love the tune.

[video=youtube;vebxt9zqr7s]

Speaking of songs coming up in the rotation, I got my ass chewed out a few times for playing the flip side of "Good Vibrations." It was on a 45, specially sent to radio stations. The A side, you all know. The B side has always been my favorite Beach Boys song.

In the "Smile" documentary Brain Wilson plays a little of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" then he morphs it into "Heroes and Villains." And you can actually hear how Brian's tune was based on Gershwin's classic.

[video=youtube;_lkk8Cku4p8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkk8Cku4p8

And talk about great (if abstract) lyric writing, Van Dyke Parks knocked this one out of the park, IMO.

LCK

• Members

In the "Smile" documentary Brain Wilson plays a little of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" then he morphs it into "Heroes and Villains." And you can actually hear how Brian's tune was based on Gershwin's classic.

His latest release is an album of Gershwin covers.

51pSX39qZ-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Members

His latest release is an album of Gershwin covers.

51pSX39qZ-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah, I know. I've got it. Some of it is amazing, some not so much.

Here's my favorite track (today's fave, anyway)...

[video=youtube;zbqQ4jSygx0]

LCK

Archived