A fun idea...

bee3

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
Ha - i will have to do what you do and sit and work them out - i have no idea what they are - i just made that one up as i went along in front of the mic

i remember its a C shape but it may have had a capo

I can work them out if youre struggling

Im considering a different song of yours (not sure which yet) ive been playing perfect conversation through and no matter what i try i just love the feel of your version so not sure what id do with it

may live with it a day or two first and see
By the way, the recording you have of Perfect Conversation was a Capo 3 in G. I've removed the capo in the studio version (which I don't have a copy of yet) and am doing it in regular old G. Better for my voice... worse for the flute.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Awesome. I can't wait to hear the British version of this! I really like "The Watery Tale of a Boy Called Boy" and was thinking of doing that one. Can you send me the chords? I don't need anything fancy, just an idea of what chords you used...
Ok i had quick listen - this is for guitar (capo 1st fret)

C/ F / C / G

C / F / C / G / C

F / C / D7 / G (then G7)

F / G / C (run down to..)Am

F / G / C

C / F / C / G

C / F / C / G / C

Am / G / F / C

Am / G / C / C7

F / G / C (run down.... ) Am / G / F / G

C / F / C / F / C

Hope that makes sense - just follow through with song , hopefully all the changes are covered

• Members

Participants so far:

bee3/stickboy
rsadasiv/leonardscaper (haven't heard from leonardscaper - he may be working on his butthurting technique?)
LCK/grace (haven't heard from grace)
rhino
eeglug

Maybe rhino and eeglug can, ahem, reciprocate?

Calling out Oswlek. Thought for sure you'd jump on this... and make a video of it.

• Members
Participants so far:

bee3/stickboy
rsadasiv/leonardscaper (haven't heard from leonardscaper - he may be working on his butthurting technique?)
rhino
eeglug

Calling out Oswlek. Thought for sure you'd jump on this... and make a video of it.
I am always up for, ahem, reciprocation

eeglug, after soundclicking it, I'm thinking either Give Up or Letter of Resignation. Is there one you'd prefer to hear?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rhino55 View Post
I am always up for, ahem, reciprocation

eeglug, after soundclicking it, I'm thinking either Give Up or Letter of Resignation. Is there one you'd prefer to hear?
I like "Letter of Resignation." Don't know if that helps you, Ryan. But that's the one I'd do...

LCK

• Members
Participants so far:

bee3/stickboy
She may be AWOL, and show up again in a few days. Who knows?

I hope there's not time constraint on this?

LCK

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rhino55 View Post
Your choice really - and you don't have to pick me just cuz bee says so LOL. (I'll PM you with the words and chords.) I'll be eager to hear what you do with it. wink.gif

I'm thinking either "Speaking For Two" or "Wild Hair", probably the latter. I think I'll need lyrics though (and chords if you got em handy).

• Members
Participants so far:

bee3/stickboy
rhino
eeglug

I'd love to, but I can barely find time to record my own stuff right now (in the middle of 3 seperate collaborative projects that are all waiting for me to do something). I'm certainly interested but I don't want to be a time drag on the fun.

Are we looking at these are full production stuff or just a simple (possibly even live?) recording?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by eeglug View Post
Your choice really - and you don't have to pick me just cuz bee says so LOL. (I'll PM you with the words and chords.) I'll be eager to hear what you do with it. wink.gif

I'm thinking either "Speaking For Two" or "Wild Hair", probably the latter. I think I'll need lyrics though (and chords if you got em handy).
biggrin.gif

Awesome

The choice is yours as well, amigo. I also have some other tunes I recorded with a band 5 or 6 years ago if you'd like to go through some of them.

There is a myspace page that still has a few of them hosted.

http://www.myspace.com/tornandfrayed

Making Eyes is a pretty fun one... man, I forgot about that song.

I need to see if I can find a live recording of that band doing Wild Hair. We did the chorus fast a few times at the end. That was pretty fun. I'll see if I can dig that out tonight.

Chords for Wild Hair are

C Am C for the verses

F G F Fm C on the chorus

I'll send you lyrics later on

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek View Post
Are we looking at these are full production stuff or just a simple (possibly even live?) recording?
I think we should just leave this up to the person doing the cover. If you want to do a live version, go for it. If you want to get all Wall of Sound with it, all the power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
Should this be restricted to songs that have been "work-shopped" here?

Personally, I think that would be far more interesting than picking from someone's entire catalogue.
LCK
I don't think it needs to be... although, I may be saying that just because I have one picked out already and I'm not sure if Stickboy ever presented it here.

• Members

Thinking it would be a good idea to present each piece as it's own thread... and include both the original and the new version as links. Then we can constructively comment. smile.gif

Maybe we can standardize the naming convention to something like:

Forumite Cover: Bee3 does Stickboy!
Forumite Cover: LCK does Grace!
Forumite Cover: rsadasiv does LeonardScaper!

eh... I can work on the title. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv View Post
I have a cool idea for LCK's "Brooklyn Sunday". If Grace shows up I'd be happy to work with her on it.

LCK - this one of mine might match your interests - a standards-y bossa nova:
First off, thanks a lot for picking one of my tunes. That's very flattering. Second, I'm kind of nervous about doing one of your songs b/c I'm not sure if I could do any of them justice. Third, who knows if Grace will be amenable to doing one of my songs. And finally, iis "Socks and Shoes" a tune that was work-shopped here?

If so, I'm on board with it. If not, I'd rather work on one that was. This is a songwriting forum, after all.

LCK

PS: I like the groove on "Socks and Shoes."

• Members
First off, thanks a lot for picking one of my tunes. That's very flattering. Second, I'm kind of nervous about doing one of your songs b/c I'm not sure if I could do any of them justice. Third, who knows if Grace will be amenable to doing one of my songs. And finally, iis "Socks and Shoes" a tune that was work-shopped here?

If so, I'm on board with it. If not, I'd rather work on one that was. This is a songwriting forum, after all.

LCK

PS: I like the groove on "Socks and Shoes."
Thanks,

Most everything I've done over the past 5 years (100+ songs eek.gif) has been posted either here on in Guitar Jam. I ran a monthly songwriting challenge here for several years; "Socks and Shoes" was a response to the challenge "Write a song using a chord you have never used before". However, if Grace agrees, certainly feel free to do one of Grace's. thumb.gif

I was thinking of doing two takes on "Brooklyn Sunday". One in my "best damn high school jazz band in Bethesda" mode and one as a hip-hop song (like the Digable Planets track I posted in the "Brooklyn Sunday" thread). No guarantees that the results will be **good**, but I think I would get a kick out of doing it. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Thanks,

Most everything I've done over the past 5 years (100+ songs eek.gif) has been posted either here on in Guitar Jam. I ran a monthly songwriting challenge here for several years; "Socks and Shoes" was a response to the challenge "Write a song using a chord you have never used before". However, if Grace agrees, certainly feel free to do one of Grace's. thumb.gif

I was thinking of doing two takes on "Brooklyn Sunday". One in my "best damn high school jazz band in Bethesda" mode and one as a hip-hop song (like the Digable Planets track I posted in the "Brooklyn Sunday" thread). No guarantees that the results will be **good**, but I think I would get a kick out of doing it. idn_smilie.gif
I look forward to hearing Brooklyn Sunday as a hip hop track thumb.gif

• Members
Should this be restricted to songs that have been "work-shopped" here?

Personally, I think that would be far more interesting than picking from someone's entire catalogue.

LCK
HA! I just did a search and it appears Stickboy did (sort-of) post the song I chose here for critique... It's a stretch because it was embedded within another thread, but it's there in post #10. Does it count LCK???

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ghlight=watery

• Members
HA! I just did a search and it appears Stickboy did (sort-of) post the song I chose here for critique... It's a stretch because it was embedded within another thread, but it's there in post #10. Does it count LCK???
I'm not in charge of the rules! I just think it would more interesting if each song we pick was something that was actively worked on by other members of the group. If you're really committed to that song, go for it.

LCK

• Members

I'm writing a lead sheet for "Brooklyn Sunday," and finalizing the tune and lyric so Ram can get started.

Meanwhile, I'll need the chords and lyrics to "Socks and Shoes." You can PM them to me if you like.

LCK

• Members
I'm writing a lead sheet for "Brooklyn Sunday," and finalizing the tune and lyric so Ram can get started.

Meanwhile, I'll need the chords and lyrics to "Socks and Shoes." You can PM them to me if you like.

LCK
I'll try and work up a lead sheet this weekend. wave.gif

• Members
I'll try and work up a lead sheet this weekend. wave.gif
Cool!

I use Finale's PrintMusic 2011 software. Do you have access to it? Otherwise I'll send you a pdf.

LCK

PS: I've listened to the tune a couple of times. I can't make out all the words, but the music is very nice.

Archived