A fun idea...

bee3

• Members

I thought it might be fun to do a thing where we each pick a song by another member and cover it, then post it here. I'd love to hear someone else's take on one of my songs.... and wouldn't mind trying to learn someone else's and work with it.

I think, if anything, it'll expand our musical horizons and bring us out of our comfort zones. That has to be healthy, right? wink.gif

Thoughts?

EDIT: Progress as of November 17, 2012

bee3 covers Stickboy: The Watery Tale of a Boy Called Boy

Stickboy covers bee3: Perfect Conversation

Stickboy covers Grace: Lovely with the Lights Off

rsadasiv covers LCK: Brooklyn Sunday

rsadasiv covers LeonardScaper: Fat Boy

LCK covers Grace: Circles

LCK covers rsadasiv: Socks and Shoes

Stickboy covers LCK: It's Always Summer in My Mind (Version 1)

rsadasiv covers Stickboy: Figure It Out

Stickboy covers Rickidoo: What Began as a Smile

LeonardScaper covers bee3's Certain Company

Then LeonardScaper and Stickboy cover bee3's Certain Company

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm game - we did this for a Guitar Jam Coverfest a few years ago ("Cover Another Forumite's Song"). I tried to do a similar thing for the Christmas Songwriting Challenge when I was running that ("Finish Another Forumite's Song"), but that challenge never got a lot of entries.

• Members

Ok then... if you're interested in participating, PM me a link to where your finished (or mature drafts) songs reside, and I'll update the first post with the link so people have somewhere to go and listen and choose. I'll even try and update the first post where someone's song has been chosen so we can keep track of who's doing what.

• Members

How about forumites enter an original song (lyrics, chords, lead sheet) and commit to covering a song. We put the songs and forumites into a hat and do a random drawing?

(personally, I have a long standing back burner project to record a LeonardScaper song with a constant groove and tempo, but I don't need to get that one out of my system right now)

• Members

I think we should haggle.

I also think it would be cool to do reciprocals: you do one of mine, I'll do one of yours.

Since Ram has posted first dibs on one of Lenny's songs, I'll put dibs on Grace. This is frankly because (like everyone else) I would love to hear her voice on one of my tunes, but also because I would love to turn one of her songs into an LCK number...

LCK

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
I think we should haggle.

I also think it would be cool to do reciprocals: you do one of mine, I'll do one of yours.

Since Ram has posted first dibs on one of Lenny's songs, I'll put dibs on Grace. This is frankly because (like everyone else) I would love to hear her voice on one of my tunes, but also because I would love to turn one of her songs into an LCK number...

LCK
I was just thinking of how challenging it would be to cover one of Grace's songs... I don't have the balls to do it!

• Members

Hey

Yes well up for this! and Mr Bee id love to hear you doing my songs? Does this mean im doing one of yours? works for me

i will link to my stuff here - where do i find yours?

www.soundcloud.com/stickboy

Have a skim through some of the older stuff (maybe something off sleepy moon) but by all means do any track you wish

great fun!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
Since Ram has posted first dibs on one of Lenny's songs.
Not calling dibs - if Lenny chooses to participate I would be honored to take a shot at one of his tunes. However, to make up the numbers, I'll take a crack at doing a song by anyone who chooses to participate, reciprocation free.

One ground rule - NO BUTTHURTEDNESS! The whole thing with chunghes2 offering to do orchestrations and then getting lambasted by Taylor Davis after Taylor took him up on the offer made me really mad (stickboy - I thought your response was fine). So long as it is all in good fun I am totally on board,

As far as Songwriting Forum collaborations, there was one that Mikeo did that came out really well (although I don't remember what it was). Here are a couple that I've done (that are still up on soundclick):

Baseball Girl - Elias Graves had a lyric that he wanted to show to some Nashville publishers, but he didn't have a country-ish demo to play for them. The lyrics are pretty much as he wrote them, I wrote the music and recorded this version (afaik, the publishers didn't bite).
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7276828

Close To Darkness - myredshoes had posted a version of this lyric which I thought was fantastic on the page. I wrote some music for it, and he and I worked together to edit and shape the lyric to fit the music. This was the only entry in the 2008 "Finish Another Forumite's Song" Songwriting Challenge.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7164877

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
Hey

Yes well up for this! and Mr Bee id love to hear you doing my songs? Does this mean im doing one of yours? works for me

i will link to my stuff here - where do i find yours?

www.soundcloud.com/stickboy

Have a skim through some of the older stuff (maybe something off sleepy moon) but by all means do any track you wish

great fun!!
Yep... I'd be honored Stickboy. Here's where you're at a disadvantage though! I don't have many fully 'finished' songs... Of course, I realized this after I started the thread. I'm in the studio now where I'm fleshing out ideas of stuff I've posted here. There were two that you've commented on as liking... maybe you can do one of them... either Perfect Conversation or my newest one Nicks and Scratches.

Here is a link to all of my ideas... if you hear one you want to do, I can send you the most recent of what I have. Easier Said Than Done is the most complete of the bunch from a studio/engineer perspective.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar

View Post

Covering is one idea. Writing the lyrics into a new melody is another, more intricate approach that takes the original artist outside of his/her own box. Proviso: the lyrics must remain intact. Same flowers, different bees.

I was just thinking of someone taking someone else's song and making it their own, not necessarily re-writing the song... just giving it their own spin. But to each his/her own I suppose.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bee3

View Post

I was just thinking of someone taking someone else's song and making it their own, not necessarily re-writing the song... just giving it their own spin. But to each his/her own I suppose.

I'm with you on "make it your own", but some ground rules to avoid butthurt may be in order.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv

View Post

I'm with you on "make it your own", but some ground rules to avoid butthurt may be in order.

I'm in agreement... no butthurt necessary. Just have fun with it... if someone wants to re-write a melody, go for it. I don't think that's what I'm going to do though...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bee3

View Post

I'm in agreement... no butthurt necessary. Just have fun with it... if someone wants to re-write a melody, go for it. I don't think that's what I'm going to do though...

Yeah, stickboy's kind of good that way. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Covering is one idea. Writing the lyrics into a new melody is another, more intricate approach that takes the original artist outside of his/her own box. Proviso: the lyrics must remain intact. Same flowers, different bees.
I agree.

LCK

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Yep... I'd be honored Stickboy. Here's where you're at a disadvantage though! I don't have many fully 'finished' songs... Of course, I realized this after I started the thread. I'm in the studio now where I'm fleshing out ideas of stuff I've posted here. There were two that you've commented on as liking... maybe you can do one of them... either Perfect Conversation or my newest one Nicks and Scratches.

Here is a link to all of my ideas... if you hear one you want to do, I can send you the most recent of what I have. Easier Said Than Done is the most complete of the bunch from a studio/engineer perspective.
Cool - Im going to go for "perfect conversation" which may or may not be a good idea.... i really love your version so its gonna make it hard for me to deviate from it.... but im up for a challenge!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic

View Post

Cool - Im going to go for "perfect conversation" which may or may not be a good idea.... i really love your version so its gonna make it hard for me to deviate from it.... but im up for a challenge!

Awesome. I can't wait to hear the British version of this! I really like "The Watery Tale of a Boy Called Boy" and was thinking of doing that one. Can you send me the chords? I don't need anything fancy, just an idea of what chords you used...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Awesome. I can't wait to hear the British version of this! I really like "The Watery Tale of a Boy Called Boy" and was thinking of doing that one. Can you send me the chords? I don't need anything fancy, just an idea of what chords you used...
Ha - i will have to do what you do and sit and work them out - i have no idea what they are - i just made that one up as i went along in front of the mic

i remember its a C shape but it may have had a capo

I can work them out if youre struggling

Im considering a different song of yours (not sure which yet) ive been playing perfect conversation through and no matter what i try i just love the feel of your version so not sure what id do with it

may live with it a day or two first and see

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
Ha - i will have to do what you do and sit and work them out - i have no idea what they are - i just made that one up as i went along in front of the mic

i remember its a C shape but it may have had a capo

I can work them out if youre struggling

Im considering a different song of yours (not sure which yet) ive been playing perfect conversation through and no matter what i try i just love the feel of your version so not sure what id do with it

may live with it a day or two first and see
I knew you were going to say that... facepalm.gif

It seems to be a capo 1 starting on C. I'll figure it out... don't be surprised when you hear some minor nuances! I'm not really an accomplished guitarist, so when it comes to fancy chords, I get lost. Looking forward to this!

Let me know if you need help with any of mine.

Archived