Non-Traditional Song Structures

bigcaleb

• Members

Most of the stuff I write lacks standard verse/chorus/bridge form.....it usually starts with a verse part and then transforms into a different style of verse. It's not satisfying in the way a typical pop song is, but I think it can be more expressive and more effectively get a point across.

Not saying this is preferable, just a different technique I usually prefer/enjoy. Anyone else like to write stuff like this?

As an example: http://soundcloud.com/thedukesofrusman/budding

• Members

Maybe Roy Orbison?

Oh yes.

From the wikipedia article on his song "In Dreams":

The song never repeats a section. In two minutes and forty-eight seconds, it goes through seven movements with distinct melodies and chord progressions. The first two sections are sixteen bars each, but the other sections are only eight bars each. In comparison to the standard form of pop songs in AABA

• Members

Most of the stuff I write lacks standard verse/chorus/bridge form.....it usually starts with a verse part and then transforms into a different style of verse. It's not satisfying in the way a typical pop song is, but I think it can be more expressive and more effectively get a point across.

Not saying this is preferable, just a different technique I usually prefer/enjoy. Anyone else like to write stuff like this?

As an example:

It's interesting, very cool, very meditative and relaxing.

LCK

• Members

Alright, Roy Orbison. Anyone else I should check out? I guess I'm looking for music like this which is guitar driven.

Also, any tips on making sure its still cohesive? I always try to transition between parts as well as I can, but don't usually retain a consistent melody. Would that be a useful technique for keeping the listener's attention when there's no refrain for them to return to?

• Members

I listened to this song as well as The Moon. There definitely is an element of surprise to your work which I find very appealing because I don't know what's coming round the bend. But I do find there is unity in tempo and mood and I find that to be enough - for me anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about cohesion. I think you have enough intuition to tell yourself what fits and what doesn't. Trust your instincts.

But do listen to the work of established artists to get some ideas. I don't know if you'll find many that working exactly in your instrumentation/style.

Check out some Frank Zappa. A good one is "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" (the version on the album Tinseltown Rebellion Band is the best one).

• Members

I do find there is unity in tempo and mood and I find that to be enough

There's a whole world of music structured around theme and variation; ambient, dance, trance, funk, jazz, prog and classical to name a few. Even in pop music people like Brian Wilson or Jimmy Webb use non-traditional song structures to great effect.

• Members

Check out some Frank Zappa. A good one is "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" (the version on the album Tinseltown Rebellion Band is the best one).

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I've really only listened to Zappa re: "We're Only In It For the Money" but I'll check that out.

• Members

I can't listen to your music at the moment, so I'm not sure how applicable this suggestion might be, but I'd recommend checking out Built To Spill. Very guitar driven and the songs always seem to end up very far away from where they started.

From what I've heard by them, Perfect From Now On is my favorite album.

Archived