Rough tracking of that "cavemen" song - need more help please

• Members

Stickboy... all the sincerity in the world... this is fantastic. The "It's in our bones" break at 2:27 gave me chills. Love the harmonies.

ahhh thanks man - ive back tweaking a few things.....again

these BIG songs arent normally my thing so mixing them is always a new thing for me

will be back with an update very soon!

• Moderators

I love that fuzz guitar in the left channel in the the 2nd "It's how I work it out" section. Sounds like a bari sax. And, I understand the ditching of the synth. But... but... I liked the funky quirk of it. But yeah, you're probably right.

Sounds freakin' huge. You seem to really have nailed that Snow Patrol vibe, not the tune, the tune's all you, I just mean that sort of poetic power they get so right. You're getting some of that. I looks good on you. :)

• Members

Really really good (still).
:)

What drum software do you use? Is it easy and intuitive?

I use AD (addictive drums) hmmm is it easy.... well if you just wanna grab a loop and mix it with your song then yeh..... however if (like i have done on this one) you want to program it all by hand....route individual drums out, multiband compress, eq ect to get a certain "powerful" but not "too" rocky sound...well...it can take time.... tis good though!

• Members

I use AD (addictive drums) hmmm is it easy.... well if you just wanna grab a loop and mix it with your song then yeh..... however if (like i have done on this one) you want to program it all by hand....route individual drums out, multiband compress, eq ect to get a certain "powerful" but not "too" rocky sound...well...it can take time.... tis good though!

When you say "by hand" does that mean you don't need to play the midi keyboard to lay down a track?

BTW, I really like this mix. Any way you could add the keyboard to the middle 8 just to see what it sounds like?

• Members

When you say "by hand" does that mean you don't need to play the midi keyboard to lay down a track?

BTW, I really like this mix. Any way you could add the keyboard to the middle 8 just to see what it sounds like?

its actually in there - i just kept it low - was a little distracting and felt out of place just being in that one section

well i used protools for this (any audio program with midi facility will do)

You can either press keys on the keyboard to trigger the drum sounds OR just use a pencil tool and draw in the hats...then kick..ect..... so you dont NEED a midi keyboard

• Members

Sigh... I guess it's not really the easy part that I'm really looking for... but I desperately want to learn how to do this. Regarding learning how... is it so easy, a caveman could do it? (pun intended... though I suspect you won't get the very American reference here).

• Members

well in its simplist form - you open the plugin...choose a preprogrammed beat..... drag it onto the midi channel ( it will all be in time with the tempo you have set of your click track) you can then start taking bits of the midi pattern out or adding bits to make it your own (or leave as it is if you really have no idea) seriously im not a big midi person but its easy to get your head around after a bit of playing

• Moderators

EDIT: What he said^

Addictive Drums is easy. I still haven't updated to the actual program and am using the free demo. You can use the midi grooves supplied with the program. You "pull them out" of the library (literally, easy) and there is the full midi programing of that beat. Now you can edit it.

I tend to do what Stick is doing though and play in the beats just as I want them.

The demo is free and works perfectly. No time limit. Just one kit, No crash or toms. Easy to find out if you like it. Lots of easy flexibility even in that neutered demo guise.

• Members

Addictive Drums is fantastic. It was $99 from Musician's Friend when I got it, though the site is down right now. The two jazz kits for $49 each, and it comes out to $197. It's a far better use of two bills than buying that $99 humbucker Tele from Guitar Center July 4th Weekend sale, and then deciding I need that $89 Epiphone Special... so I bought them both... what the hell, Paul.**

At least I have awesome group pictures:

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7052/28079195599580458116667.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/35/27151095600093929116667.jpg

** I hate humbuckers. But somehow I end up with them.

• Members

My honest opinion, and this could just be a matter of taste, but...

I think you could do without that buzzy synth-type noise you've got going on through most of the track. Granted, I'm listening through a modest pair of headphones...but it just sounds overly harsh to my ears. Overall, I like where the track's headed though. Drums are more prominent...very good.

Interesting about Addictive Drums...does it have a dry '70s style kit? If so, I just may have to check it out.

• Members
Addictive Drums is fantastic. It was $99 from Musician's Friend when I got it, though the site is down right now. The two jazz kits for $49 each, and it comes out to $197. It's a far better use of two bills than buying that $99 humbucker Tele from Guitar Center July 4th Weekend sale, and then deciding I need that $89 Epiphone Special... so I bought them both... what the hell, Paul.**

At least I have awesome group pictures:

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7052/28079195599580458116667.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/35/27151095600093929116667.jpg

** I hate humbuckers. But somehow I end up with them.

Ahahahahah!!! I love the group photo :)

• Members

I downloaded the demo for Addictive Drums and started messing around. Very cool... I, of course, did it without reading the manual, so I didn't make too much progress. But still had fun messing around.

Archived