Rough tracking of that "cavemen" song - need more help please

• Members

Sorry to start a new thread but i want to crack on with this tomorrow and want some ideas

So ive really quickly tracked the basic idea (im gonna start it again but may keep the guitars)

Vocals - the ideas are there - just a really rough recording and i adlibbed a harmony both vocals will be redone with some time spent on them

Drums - just a basic 4/4 beat - this will be changed and hopefully make a big difference to the track

Ive never recorded such a power chordy song but i do want it to have that feel - im going to bring in a few more elements

Is it kinda working so far? I know its hard when it sounds quite far along but im telling you there are many things i want to do..... does it sound "too" full on (its kinda what im going for!)

Any ideas before i knuckle down with it?

Here is where im up to

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=977998&songID=10828582

We can figure it out (i may change the title)

Im not so sure about it

I cant rely upon it

Its how i work it out

Its how i work it out

Its in my genes and in my blood

Its under the ground where cavemen stood

I dont want to follow

I just want to lead you to my heart

So we can figure it out

Ive thought of the perfect ending

And thought how it all came tumbling

Its how i work it out

Its how i work it out

Its in my genes and in my blood

I dont want to follow

I just want to lead you to my heart

So we can figure it out

It just takes a little time

to make the pieces fit

It just takes a little time

to make them true

say it just takes a little time to make the pieces fit

For me and for you

Its in our genes and in my blood

We dont want to follow

We just want to lead you to our hearts

So we can figure it out

• Members

All the comments I have you addressed. The drums are too plain, the vox has some sketchy spots (mostly the "its how I work it out") and it feels like the song could use more flavor.

But none of that suprises you, I think.

• Members

All the comments I have you addressed. The drums are too plain, the vox has some sketchy spots (mostly the "its how I work it out") and it feels like the song could use more flavor.

But none of that suprises you, I think.

Absolutely! And these are ALL things I will be sorting - this was a quick one take sketch on every part with a simple drum loop for backing so that will all be changed tomorrow

• Moderators

Bones is good.

It sounds like it wants an octave vocal over the verse like Bon Iver. I love the first chorus coming in all surprisy. That's cool. And... it does sound like you could go Snow Patrol distorto downstoke on this if you were inclined. Like here at 1:38. A nice long build up to it...

[video=youtube;E1W5lFW-vUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1W5lFW-vUY

• Members

ahh some good advice - i actually just finished version 1 and am uploading to youtube - will post when its processed..... i kept it VERY guitary as i really dont have any songs like this - seems to work when i have it on LOUD but am more than willing to add things/make changes if needed

will be up soon

• Moderators

Cool! Sometimes you just gotta have some fuzz. In the 2nd verse there are some high sounding things that made me think this would sound good with some Brian Wilson ahhs and oohs. And it seems to be wanting a glockenspiel in there ringing out through the guitars at key moments. And maybe that octave vocal would work in the chorus. I'm hearing Weezer now. Not the track, just in my head for the Brian stuff.

But no... this is cool.

• Members

Cool! Sometimes you just gotta have some fu
zz
. In the 2nd verse there are some high sounding things that made me think this would sound good with some Brian Wilson ahhs and oohs. And it seems to be wanting a glockenspiel in there ringing out through the guitars at key moments. And maybe that octave vocal would work in the chorus. I'm hearing Weezer now. Not the track, just in my head for the Brian stuff.

But no... this is cool.

cool - there are some ohhhs in the second verse....are they not loud enough? glock would be cool - i always use glock - ha

• Moderators

cool - there are some ohhhs in the second verse....are they not loud enough? glock would be cool - i always use glock - ha

Oh... they are ooohs. I thought I was hearing dark guitar. Yeah, I think you could make those pop out. And maybe instead of glock you could go clean, compressed guitar harmonics? PING! With single note piano doubling? Some little chimey melody that dances above the fuzz.

Or not. Sounds cool.

• Members

Not to worry.

At one point your humble moderator [moi] was encouraging folks to try to keep it one thread per song -- but, realistically, that doesn't always work well.

So, the new 'official' policy on updated versions of a song in progress is, do what makes sense for your current circumstance. If it makes sense to update an existing thread with a new version, that's great. But if it makes more sense to start a new thread, then that's fine, too. Folks should just use their consideration and common sense.

• Members

Thanks! im not finished with this one yet, just wanna give it a day and come at it fresh - i did try the drums a bit louder but i dunno i kinda wanted it to be about the guitars but will certainly look again - and gonna try some ideas for extra elements

I listened to that snow patrol one AFTER i put mine up and damn there is so much power in the recording.... i guess thats what you get when you pay big money rather than recording at home on a cheap PC!

For what it's worth, the recordings I've heard of you so far are all very well done, and serve your style well. It's cool to hear they were done on a PC (that's what I use too, only mine is old as the hills)--what software do you use?

I wouldn't bother comparing yourself too much; that wall of guitars thing you hear on a lot of pop/rock--yeah it does sound impressive and modern, but after a while, it's a bit tiresome on your ears. Your recordings seem to have a sense of space to them, which is nice.

For this one, I would just zero in on that kick and snare, as well as maybe the bring up the cymbal hit during the fills--get those a little more upfront in the mix. Right now, you can barely hear them. I don't think they occupy the same sonic space as the guitars anyway--you can have both prominent without one intruding too much on the other.

• Members

Love the way this one starts.....

You lose the word heart a bit at around :53 (better at 1:51, but....hit that harder both times)....and right after that there is a sound like a choked hat that keeps catching my attention. I like when you change to 'our heart' later.

Love the arrangement just before the ending.

I wouldn't bring the ooh's up too much.

:wave::cool:

• Members

First of all, it sounds great. With that being said there are some things I would work on if I were you.

Guitars: I would do some EQ work on the left and right side guitars to differentiate them a bit.

Vocals: I am not feeling the vocals strong enough in the mix, this might fix itself once you master it.

Mastering: I think the master track could definitely use some good compression to bring everything together. I think this could fix some of the levels I was hearing. I would consider using one of the LL Maximizers if you have one.

That is my limited critique, but overall I think it sounds great.

• Members

Hello

Ok i have just about finished my ears off getting carried away with volume in the can so i have no idea if its there yet..... i referenced a lot of tracks (mainly that snow patrol one) when mixing.... its bloomin hard getting anything close to those pristine, expensive recording but hopefully it has helped with levels

There may still be things sticking out

What you say??

[video=youtube;UEf-DYsoLIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEf-DYsoLIE

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of the synth in the chorus, for my money that would work better during the middle 8, kicking in right at 2:05 on "takes".

I also don't think you've solved the drum issue yet. I still think it should be more forceful in the 2nd verse starting when it kicks in at 1:09. It sounded great when the first chorus came, and I also like the subdued style in the brief interlude immediately afterward. But that 2nd verse needs a more grand entrance, IMO.

Lastly, I really think you might consider changing the name to simply "Figure it Out". That seems like it would fit the song and call less attention to the Beatle thing.

I don't mean for this to come across as a downer post. It is a great song as is. But its greatness makes the weaker points stand out even more, IMO.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of the synth in the chorus, for my money that would work better during the middle 8, kicking in right at 2:05 on "takes".

I also don't think you've solved the drum issue yet. I still think it should be more forceful in the 2nd verse starting when it kicks in at 1:09. It sounded great when the first chorus came, and I also like the subdued style in the brief interlude immediately afterward. But that 2nd verse needs a more grand entrance, IMO.

Lastly, I really think you might consider changing the name to simply "Figure it Out". That seems like it would fit the song and call less attention to the Beatle thing.

I don't mean for this to come across as a downer post. It is a great song as is. But its greatness makes the weaker points stand out even more, IMO.

yeh im having second thoughts on the bip-bop synth in the chorus myself too

hmmmm im hear you on the second verse but i kinda like the "back off" a little on the drums that way im saving it all for the next chorus

its funny but i have saved the mp3 as just "figure it out" but left the old title on youtube by mistake so completely with you there

• Members

hmmmm im hear you on the second verse but i kinda like the "back off" a little on the drums that way im saving it all for the next chorus

I'm certainly no expert (I'm not even good at midi drums, let alone the real thing!) but I think there might be a way to give that verse a little more punch and keep some in reserve for that 2nd chorus as well. You won't me to forward this to Neil Peart? ;)

Archived