Bridge question #2: Are there any songs that start with a bridge?

New Trail

• Members

Sometimes an "intro" is also used as a bridge. The intro to "They Can't Take That Away From Me," by George and Ira Gershwin, is used as a bridge later on, with different words.

[video=youtube;Fyq37gNjWuA]

BTW: Technically, the kind of intro the Beatles used with "If I Fell," and "Do You Want to Know a Secret" ("You'll never know how much I really love you. You'll never know how much I really care...") and was used with most of the songs written in the '20s, '30s, and '40s is referred to as "the verse."

Nat King Cole famously recorded a version of "Stardust" that featured only "the verse" (i.e., the intro), and not the main body of the song.

LCK

• Moderators

XTC's Respectable Street is like this...so yes, it starts with the bridge.

It's in the order of their hedgerow oh-oo-ohs

it's in the way their curtains open and clo-oo-ohse

it's in the look they give you down their no-oo-ohse

all part of decency's jigsaw I suppose

• Members

One of my old bands had a song like that. We originally started by launching into an instrumental version of the verse, but then someone had the idea to begin with the bridge (which was also wordless) instead. Bridge Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Verse Chorus and now I forget how we ended it, but it really added a lot of tension to song and sounded so much better. Of course, by that point, we were so used to starting without the bridge, that someone would always forget the new arrangement. For the rest of our time together, whenever we'd play that song one of us would always have to call out "start with the bridge!" just as we were about to begin to ensure that the song went off without a mess.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
On 6/23/2011 at 8:23 PM, eeglug said:

Sometimes an "intro" is also used as a bridge.

XTC's Respectable Street is like this...so yes, it starts with the bridge.

Yup, Respectable Street, you nailed it.  Oh. . . . the song is also notable for the album version lyrics vs the carefully and cleverly sanitized lyrics for the radio version

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...