?Final AndSheSmiles Final?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

OK, just got a mix of this one and I'm hoping I'm zeroing in on where it needs to be... I've incorporated a good amount of the a the suggestions given so far from you guys. More input for changes?

[video=youtube;tGXUu6zI1rY]

• Members

I think this is great Lee - really came together - purely from a production side im thinking maybe bringing a piano in on second verse with its own melody and picking part of the vocal melody out....then leave in for rest of song.... may just fill in a litle of the mid/lower range

sounds great as is though

• Members

Are you running the text "AndSheSmiles" together at 1:31 and 2:40 on purpose? Looks weird. I actually enjoy the visual of the lyrics popping up as the tune goes along.

Follow the bouncing ball, boys and girls.

• Moderators

Are you running the text "AndSheSmiles" together at 1:31 and 2:40 on purpose? Looks weird. I actually enjoy the visual of the lyrics popping up as the tune goes along.

Follow the bouncing ball, boys and girls.

Yeah, I am runningthemtogether on purpose. Cause, you know, I'm sorta like Prince with all his U, etc. Me and the Artist. We're very similar in that respect. :) I don't know why, I just sort of like the way it looked.

I might actually do a video proper for this one at some point. At least a story line with Ken Burns style animating of still stock.

• Members

Good idea on the piano. I'd been meaning to lay one in and just never did. But I think it needs it. Some variation to perk up the ears. And as Anderton suggested elsewhere, some double time shakers at the out choruses.

Yeah... I keep getting that. Pockets of people have that point to make. It's a bit
BA!
I wrestled with some compression and fader riding to get it a little more in the track but... it is the nature of the syllable. Frickin' drunk sailors sea shantying away. Yo Ho! Don't know if I have it in me to redo that at this point...

Do you think further gain adjustments might help?

Yeah, I am runningthemtogether on purpose. Cause, you know, I'm sorta like Prince with all his U, etc. Me and the Artist. We're very similar in that respect.
:)
I don't know why, I just sort of like the way it looked.

I might actually do a video proper for this one at some point. At least a story line with Ken Burns style animating of still stock.

yeh i thought it may be a little too much to redo all the BAs hmmmm it just kinda sticks out - B is such a strong sound.... i could say lay off on the delivery of the B (but that would mean redoing it anyway) possibly reducing it a little, maybe putting a softer harmony BA BA over it (more recording though!!) Its not a massive problem and i love the idea of it.... be a shame to not make this one perfect as it such a great song

• Members

*The percussion is much better. I can't quite pull out exactly what has changed, but it fits so much better with the music now, both as a backbone and occassional rap that stands out a little more.

* I LOVE that abbreviated "ba ba" part after the first chorus.

* The mandolin is damn near perfect, when it comes in, what it plays. Is that you playing?

* Did I hear some accordion every now and again?

* The extra melody (on some keyed instrument) that comes in on the bridge is exactly what was missing before.

* That tap at 1:55 followed by the thick strum was a thing a beauty. This is definitely the best lyric bridge you've had.

* Nice key change at the end.

The only complaint I have is a remarkably petty one. You had an uplifting "yeah she..." start at 2:38, but the "smiles" bit of it blends in too much. That entire phrase is too damn cool to not have it all stand out, especially the punchline of it.

I'd buy the song after the first listen, Lee. Fabulous stuff.

• Moderators

*The percussion is much better. I can't quite pull out exactly what has changed, but it fits so much better with the music now, both as a backbone and occassional rap that stands out a little more.

* I LOVE that abbreviated "ba ba" part after the first chorus.

* The mandolin is damn near perfect, when it comes in, what it plays. Is that you playing?

* Did I hear some accordion every now and again?

* The extra melody (on some keyed instrument) that comes in on the bridge is exactly what was missing before.

* That tap at 1:55 followed by the thick strum was a thing a beauty. This is definitely the best lyric bridge you've had.

* Nice key change at the end.

The only complaint I have is a remarkably petty one. You had an uplifting "yeah she..." start at 2:38, but the "smiles" bit of it blends in too much. That entire phrase is too damn cool to not have it all stand out, especially the punchline of it.

I'd buy the song after the first listen, Lee. Fabulous stuff.

Hey, cool! Thanks.

That's not me on Mandolin. It's my buddy Jay. And honestly, Jay doesn't really play mandolin. Yet. He's getting there. He literally had to refer to his beginner's chord chart. That was comped from several takes, pocketed in rhythm... it's been worked. Mind you, he did pull off some nice pyrotechnics, but they were all isolated to try and nail them. It took a while. I love doing that stuff and usually track with it in mind. Jay was a sport for putting up with my torture. Now he needs to learn the part as it is. :)

The faux accordion is really a melodica. It's a nice Hohner model. You can really fake a squeeze box with it. Th bridge is also the melodica along with two echoed out electrics playing almost the same part but offset by a bar and then altered to work right over the changes.

And hey thanks, I love that bit at 1:55 too. Sort of like Richie Havens jamming with Stewart Copeland for a second.

• Members

I think overall sounds quite good. I actually thought Craig's comment [in your brief appearance by mistake in that forum :D ] about a dip just before the 'big moment' at 1'50" is probably a good idea, it felt like, as it is, that the preceding part and the new part sort of just run up against each other. It's a 'surprise' but it's almost like we weren't prepared for it... But an approach like Craig is suggesting, building up anticipation by dropping things down, that's like the trough in front of a normal ocean wave (as opposed to a tsunami, which is more like a sheet of water) -- when done right, it has an organic dynamic that just seems to work.

PS... I've been mentally 'humming' the chorus for the last few minutes, always a good sign.

• Moderators

Yeah, I liked that idea of the silent vacuum right at the top of the bridge Swwwuuup!...... Boom
Some leave to run...
I'll be doing that. And Craig's shaker idea. And a piano per Sticky.

I've made some changes and will be back hopefully tonight to see if I can coax you guys into another round of input....

• Members

Great overall, but I'm not a fan of the drum...

So you have the bouzouki/mandolin thing happening it's, great, but the drum sounds too much like a march to me and is reserved for more songs that involve whiskey, war or death :) (perhaps all three) . You need more lilt to full the Irish folk influences full circle, and make it feel, well more fun.

Find yourself a bodhran player (shouldn't be hard, usually the guys in the corner of the pub which a pint of guiness in their hand, drooling...) and listen to them go to a song like this, perhaps a good contemporary band to listen to would be Great Big Sea to listen to how the rhythm is handled.

• Moderators

Great overall, but I'm not a fan of the drum...

So you have the bouzouki/mandolin thing happening it's, great, but the drum sounds too much like a march to me and is reserved for more songs that involve whiskey, war or death
(perhaps all three) . You need more lilt to full the Irish folk influences full circle, and make it feel, well more fun.

Find yourself a bodhran player (shouldn't be hard, usually the guys in the corner of the pub which a pint of guiness in their hand, drooling...) and listen to them go to a song like this, perhaps a good contemporary band to listen to would be Great Big Sea to listen to how the rhythm is handled.

I spent some time researching how I wanted the drums. They were, and are, a bitch. It's 3/4. So you've got a few options... I decided to not go the trad route on this and think of it as Stewart Copeland playing Brubeck's Take Five. But just the 3/4 portion of the 5/4. Take Five is 3/4 then 2/4. Boo dop boo-dah, 1, 2. So MIDICopeland plays boo dop boo-dah. Thanks Stew.

Yeah, it's a bit prickly. I know. But still, I think I like having stuck with a more free/modern approach on it. However...

I might decide to bring in a friend and let him have a go with a smallish kit. For now though... I'm sticking with MIDI StewartC. :)

• Members

I spent some time researching how I wanted the drums. They were, and are, a bitch. It's 3/4. So you've got a few options... I decided to not go the trad route on this and think of it as Stewart Copeland playing Brubeck's Take Five. But just the 3/4 portion of the 5/4. Take Five is 3/4 then 2/4. Boo dop boo-dah, 1, 2. So MIDICopeland plays boo dop boo-dah. Thanks Stew.

Yeah, it's a bit prickly. I know. But still, I think I like having stuck with a more free/modern approach on it. However...

I might decide to bring in a friend and let him have a go with a smallish kit. For now though... I'm sticking with MIDI StewartC.

:thu:

It's a hard battle some times to get through it, I've got the opposite problem with lack of experience with a the regular (won't say "traditional" in this context") drum kit, lends to difficult tracking things more modern via midi, with lacking the real life knowledge and feel. Something I really want to remedy myself (if I can build an extension on the back of the garage and get a small cabaret setup).

It does sound good, though on my non-very-high-quality speakers, a bit snare-y. That's about it, I like it.

If I seemed a bit harsh with my last post, I wrote that post after watching "Barney's Version" and having 2/3rds a bottle of wine ;)

• Moderators

:thu:

It's a hard battle some times to get through it, I've got the opposite problem with lack of experience with a the regular (won't say "traditional" in this context") drum kit, lends to difficult tracking things more modern via midi, with lacking the real life knowledge and feel. Something I really want to remedy myself (if I can build an extension on the back of the garage and get a small cabaret setup).

It does sound good, though on my non-very-high-quality speakers, a bit snare-y. That's about it, I like it.

If I seemed a bit harsh with my last post, I wrote that post after watching "Barney's Version" and having 2/3rds a bottle of wine
;)

Hey... I'm always looking for honesty. You provided. Appreciated. Wine: truth serum. Thanks again. Point taken. :thu:

Archived