Hello to all forum participants!

Guitarzzz

• Members

__________________a quick word from the moderator about this Showcase thread ____________

AMan4OurTimes105x150r.jpg NOTE: blue2blue, moderator, here... I had to steal a little space in this post from Boris (Guitarzzz) because Boris had started a thread that actually 'belonged' in the a Monthly Showcase Thread so, as I've taken to doing, I merged it with the current month's showcase thread -- but when I did, I forgot to check the date when Boris's thread was started :facepalm: -- I had thought it was more or less brand new. But, no, it actually predated the October Showcase -- and so, inexorably, it turns out -- his posts ended up at the top -- which would have been really confusing.

So, you'll see the typical Showcase welcome below -- but below that you'll see Boris' post(s)... and, starting with post 7, you'll see the rest of this October Showcase thread as it existed before I got crazy with it... :D

Sorry for the confusion, Boris, and everyone!

October 2011 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, gossip...

No news too trivial, no bragging right too small. Whether your latest triumph was a multi-album deal or a good night at your local open mic -- there's room to talk about it here...
:)

Here's this month's
Official Showcase Thread
where you can post your
completed projects
, links to
finished works
(even
old
ones) you want your pals here in the SW forum to hear,
promo videos
, covers of other people's songs, or just generally
shameless self-hype
that you're
far too professional
and courteous to post in the main forum.

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

More on the Songwriting Forum Monthly Showcase

__________________ and now back to Boris' post, already in progress __________________________

Hello!

My name is Boris Ulybyshev.

I play guitar since childhood, love music of different styles)

I would be glad to communicate!

Joy and sorrow

[video=youtube;rgaLlfAxA5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgaLlfAxA5Y

Music experiment

[video=youtube;koUkV2pf_sg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koUkV2pf_sg

Moonlight

[video=youtube;UPrzNDHIuLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPrzNDHIuLc&feature=related

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi Boris! You should probably read the rules about posting here... I'm sure Blue2Blue, the moderator, will point you in that direction. That said, I LOVE your videos! Really awesome stuff.

• Members

Hi Boris! You should probably read the rules about posting here... I'm sure Blue2Blue, the moderator, will point you in that direction. That said, I LOVE your videos! Really awesome stuff.

I feel the same - although just posting final things for what seems like a bit of publicity is frowned upon - i have to say i was mesmorised by your playing - brilliant stuff!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

No news too trivial, no bragging right too small. Whether your latest triumph was a multi-album deal or a good night at your local open mic -- there's room to talk about it here... :)

Here's this month's Official Showcase Thread where you can post your completed projects, links to finished works (even old ones) you want your pals here in the SW forum to hear, promo videos, covers of other people's songs, or just generally shameless self-hype that you're far too professional and courteous to post in the main forum.

wBsHwf1FNBQ

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

previous showcase threads

September 2011

August 2011

July 2011

June 2011

May 2011

April 2011

March 2011

February 2011

January 2011

December 2010

November 2010

October 2010

September 2010

August 2010

July 2010

June 2010

May 2010

April 2010

March 2010

February 2010

January 2010

December 2009

November 2009

October 2009

September 2009

August 2009

July 2009 [no posts]

June 2009

May 2009

April 2009

March 2009

February 2009

January 2009

December 2008

November 2008

October 2008

More on the Songwriting Forum Monthly Showcase

• Members

Here's a new upbeat jangly pop/rock number called "A Day In The Sun". One of my co-writers on this was Danny Wilde, frontman for The Rembrandts (you know the "Friends" TV theme). Here's a first cut of a mix I just did.

Very enjoyable. I like the hint of California sound that comes right after you sing the title phrase.

LCK

• Members

Here's a new upbeat jangly pop/rock number called "A Day In The Sun". One of my co-writers on this was Danny Wilde, frontman for The Rembrandts (you know the "Friends" TV theme). Here's a first cut of a mix I just did.

Nicely done! Man, there is some subtle mixing of some of those background vocals... it's an interesting effect. At first I didn't even realize there was, like, a lower layer to the bg vox.

Next time you see Danny, tell him you ran into someone who used to see the Quick at a club on La Cienega circa '74 or '75. I was a huge early Sparks fan and someone told me I'd like the Quick. I looked around and could tell there was something new brewing. The kids had short hair and straight leg levis.

I felt at home because I cut off my mid-back length hair a couple years before; but the next day I went out and bought a couple pair of well worn straight leg jeans that had probably been around since the '60s. From there, it was no looking back.

So, you can tell him that he and the Quick (and the first Patti Smith album which came out around that time) were responsible for shaping my early new music experience. If I soon turned to edgier stuff (like Television, Magazine, et al), I'll never forget that first night seeing the Quick and thinking... finally, there's something new going on...

• Members

If anybody is in Chicago on 10/21, come see us at Goose Island in Wrigleyville. We'll be giving away the whole record.

Hey, I really like this. And I never like rock any more.

It's tweaked enough, often inverting expectation just a little... and that gives it a sort of familiarity even as it seems just different enough. Soul children of the Pixies, in a sense.

:thu:

• Members

Thanks LCK and blue! I saw the Quick back then at the Starwood too. I think Danny was 17 back then. There's a Facebook page for the Quick by Steve Hofsteder(sp?) that has lots of cool pics you'd dig! Yeah those backing vox were not so easy to blend in. There's a lot going on with about 9 tracks of parts flying in and out. I'm still a tweak or two away from making it final.

• Members

I listened to the first two tracks. There's an interesting thing going on in your sound. The thrust of the construction of the songs leans toward kinda straight-up 80s monster rawk. But there's U.K. shoe-gazey a la My Bloody Valentine element going on with the delivery, mostly in the sound and layering of the guitars.

What's interesting is I can't tell if you baked that influence into it directly or if you - if the slightly messy art-rock element is a pointed decision or natural inclination. I think it's all neat though.

If I were to guess influences ... I'd say Sting... possibly a strong dose of the Killers......you're reaching for the 80s but I can't tell if it's directly to the source or once or twiced removed....that 11 Roses fades in like Smile Like You Mean it by Killers... then there's this freak-out kinda Nirvana-era Dave Grohl-type drum fill ... and it then it goes into a verse almost butnot quite I Melt With You By Modern English........ I like it all though...

And you're from Chicago? That explains a lot. Those John Hughes movie songs are all over this....

• Members

I listened to the first two tracks. There's an interesting thing going on in your sound. The thrust of the construction of the songs leans toward kinda straight-up 80s monster rawk. But there's U.K. shoe-gazey a la My Bloody Valentine element going on with the delivery, mostly in the sound and layering of the guitars.

What's interesting is I can't tell if you baked that influence into it directly or if you - if the slightly messy art-rock element is a pointed decision or natural inclination. I think it's all neat though.

If I were to guess influences ... I'd say Sting... possibly a strong dose of the Killers......you're reaching for the 80s but I can't tell if it's directly to the source or once or twiced removed....that 11 Roses fades in like Smile Like You Mean it by Killers... then there's this freak-out kinda Nirvana-era Dave Grohl-type drum fill ... and it then it goes into a verse almost butnot quite I Melt With You By Modern English........ I like it all though...

And you're from Chicago? That explains a lot. Those John Hughes movie songs are all over this....

Huh... I never thought of it that way. I do listen to a lot of 80's stuff. I would say my main influences are the who and smashing pumpkins... but I can see where you are going with it! :thu:

• Members

Ah! Smashing Pumpkins... that explains the ShoeGazey element ... and how you're reaching for a layered, beauty kinda sound with no irony whatsoever, Siamese Dream was a big reference point for the Killers, I believe. I think I read that somewhere... actually, I think I read something where Billy Corgan was saying that... And Jimmy Chamberlain was almost as fierce as Dave Grohl on the kit - not quite, but almost there. He was the only other irreplaceable member of that band...There's that Chicago connection... the Who might explain why it kinda sounds like English 80s rock.... Neato..

But what the hell man? Where's Wilco???? Throw some roots rock into the stew.... Via Chicago... Bring it all back home, baby....

• Members

Ah! Smashing Pumpkins... that explains the ShoeGazey element ... and how you're reaching for a layered, beauty kinda sound with no irony whatsoever, Siamese Dream was a big reference point for the Killers, I believe. I think I read that somewhere... actually, I think I read something where Billy Corgan was saying that... And Jimmy Chamberlain was almost as fierce as Dave Grohl on the kit - not quite, but almost there. He was the only other irreplaceable member of that band...There's that Chicago connection... the Who might explain why it kinda sounds like English 80s rock.... Neato..

But what the hell man? Where's Wilco???? Throw some roots rock into the stew.... Via Chicago... Bring it all back home, baby....

:lol: Wilco?

• Members

Hi, Kreatorkind. Congratulations!

I'm going to move this to the special thread (I'm this forum's mod) that we have set up just for such personally momentous occasions, honors, and such so that no one misses it.

October 2011 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, gossip...

(Oh, wait... we're here now... I just linked to this thread. :facepalm::D )

Since you seem to be something of a newcomer to this forum, you'll want to check out the welcome/guidelines sticky thread:

WELCOME to the SW FORUM / Guidelines / Resources

• Members

Thanks LCK and blue! I saw the Quick back then at the Starwood too. I think Danny was 17 back then. There's a Facebook page for the Quick by Steve Hofsteder(sp?) that has lots of cool pics you'd dig! Yeah those backing vox were not so easy to blend in. There's a lot going on with about 9 tracks of parts flying in and out. I'm still a tweak or two away from making it final.

That's where Steve Hufsteder came from! :idea:

I knew I knew him from somewhere. That's been bugging me since I worked on a Plugz/Cruzados demo right after Steve joined up with Tito and the boys back around '83 or '84. (It was the demo that introduced Tito's amazing "Flor de Mal" -- and I think the demo has actually popped up on some albums.)

Damn... it is a small world. :D

• Members
This one is pretty much finished except for mastering....it features my new M-Audio Sputnik which I bought last month. I may have to re-record a few older songs with this... :-)

It's called "Nothing Longer Than The Night"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=3624802

Another dependably well-crafted song from you guys! Well played, with the trademark, stinging Strat solo, very nicely sung, evocative vocals, and an agreeable uptempo momentum, this is sure to please your fans and plenty of others, too. :thu:

Archived