How to get out of an ostinato? (repeated phrase)

ffud

• Members

Hey, this is more of a composition question rather than songwriting, but same thing kinda.

I'm working on a piano piece, and as with lots of my piano pieces, I have very a repetitive frilly ostinato figure going on in the right hand while the melody is doing interesting things rhythmically in the bass. My problem is I always get stuck because I can't figure out a smooth way to transition the melody from the left hand to the right hand and/or how to break the repeating pattern without it being to abrupt.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to best make these transitions?

• Members

When I want to change from one part to the next on the piano, one thing I love to do is to have both hands play some big chords together (or syncopated) for a few measures while making sure that your bass and the treble notes are forming a kind of a hook, making sure you emphasize the hook.

When there's a left hand melody that I want to transition to the right hand, a gentle transition would be to then make the left hand do the bass parts for a while, transition your melody to the thumb on the right hand while you play a few frilly chords with the other fingers. Then, play a melody in octaves in the right hand while the left hand plays chords, stuff like that.

• Members

When I find myself trapped in a guitar ostinato (tweedle, tweedle) I just use the last shreds of my will to reach over with my foot and kick the amp by the reverb box as hard as I can... it's like knocking the needle of a stuck record out of the groove. You just hope the needle goes forward, not back...

Is that what you mean?

;)

• Members

good thoughts. thanks. I'm just gonna have to keep playing at a million times. and yes blue2blue, that's exactly what I had in mind. I like the way you think and I see what you did there :thu:

• Moderators

When I find myself trapped in a guitar ostinato (tweedle, tweedle) I just use the last shreds of my will to reach over with my foot and kick the amp by the reverb box as hard as I can... it's like knocking the needle of a stuck record out of the groove. You just hope the needle goes forward, not
back...

Is that what you mean?

;)

Tweedle, tweedle? Don't you mean, who-duh-lee, who-duh-lee? Different era I guess.

• Moderators

Hey, this is more of a composition question rather than songwriting, but same thing kinda.

I'm working on a piano piece, and as with lots of my piano pieces, I have very a repetitive frilly ostinato figure going on in the right hand while the melody is doing interesting things rhythmically in the bass. My problem is I always get stuck because I can't figure out a smooth way to transition the melody from the left hand to the right hand and/or how to break the repeating pattern without it being to abrupt.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to best make these transitions?

From motion to motion. Let's say you were riding on top of a repeating 8th note triplet figure. If you drop out... it's going to be apparent. As you've mentioned. But what if your left went to 1/4 note walking and the right to a melody that incorporates some pick ups using 8th note triplets? No longer an ostinato, but an expansive melody that touches some of that 1/*8 note triplet territory.

If you've setup a precedent, instead of bailing on it, shift... the way you use the elements.

• Members

For some reason, I've been going through a little blues phase in my listening the last couple days... and I've been hearin' a chunkload of ostinati -- seems like every third solo begins with one of those classic, rapidly repeating, Chuck Berry double stop slurs or joins a couple 4 or 8 bar sections with them.

It's always amused me that such moves often get the rubes on their feet, hands in the air, whooping, when it's actually just kind of dumb azz, mindless repetition.

But I suspect that that is what gets the rubes going. They're lost in a tricky melodic run, and scratch their heads over a jazzy chord lead, but give them some bonehead, mindless dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah repetition and they go nuts.

Of course, there's a decided tension-release thing going on. That repetition is irritating, even if the rubes seem to get the bizarre impression that it's hard to do, so when the instrumentalist stops, the rubes are going, Damn! This guy's a monster! A Genius!

Funny biz.

• Members

For some reason, I've been going through a little blues phase in my listening the last couple days... and I've been hearin' a
chunkload
of ostinati -- seems like every third solo begins with one of those classic, rapidly repeating, Chuck Berry double stop slurs or joins a couple 4 or 8 bar sections with them.

It's always amused me that such moves often get the rubes on their feet, hands in the air, whooping, when it's actually just kind of dumb azz, mindless repetition.

But I suspect that
that
is what gets the rubes going. They're lost in a tricky melodic run, and scratch their heads over a jazzy chord lead, but give them some bonehead, mindless dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah repetition and they go nuts.

Of course, there's a decided tension-release thing going on. That repetition is
irritating
, even if the rubes seem to get the bizarre impression that it's hard to do, so when the instrumentalist
stops
, the rubes are going,
Damn! This guy's a monster! A Genius!

Funny biz.

Wow Blue, you're pretty down on lead guitarists these days. :idk:

Archived