Friday Influences Thread 07-22-11 Yeah, you!!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

All are welcome, so git in here!

Post your influences. Did you hear the theme music to I Love Lucy last night and get an idea? Did you love the Kingston Trio as a kid and can't shake it? Does Slipknot make you squirm in adolescent delight? Does the Victoria's Secret catalog spark a new hit song from you every quarter? Did you read a book that somehow informed your songwriting? ? ?

Why yes, I did. Just like that... poor man in... that book by Nabokov. The balls of Nabokov. Lolita. Like writing a Hannibal Lecter book in first person Lectervision, discussing the joys of a brain sandwich with insight and aplomb.

Humbert Humbert, the sad, deranged, crazy, artistic, lover of beauty in his very sick world. Our pathetic protagonist in Nabokov's Lolita. Stunted growth Humbert. Like Lector... a shifted morality. Sure, there's a reason, but bad is bad. Even if it's crazy, it's still evil.

So songwriting? For me, yeah. Nabokov took the voice of someone very wrong, and let us live there for a few hundred pages. Like Peter Gabriel's The Intruder. 1st person baddie. No excuses. You make the moral choice as listener, not the writer. And the tongue... dances... in rhythmic... ecstasy.

Read this out loud. Mouth the words. Like a singer might...

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth, Lo. Lee. Ta.

And it only gets better. And sadder. And more pathetic. Beautiful, beautiful, brave-ass writing. BTW, Nabokov wrote this in English.

That, to me, is some amazing writing and something I want to tap into in my work. Just a speck of that voice.

OK, enough! Here's something else that inspires my songwriting immensely. James Jamerson. Dig this isolated bass track...

[video=youtube;pAF8P8DCDKY]

• Members

This song was a real eye-opener for me but it's surely an acquired taste and I don't expect many to like it. It's the first song on a great little mini album. I had never heard singing or music like this. When I bought it I thought the voice was so strange that I wasn't sure if my turntable was set to the correct speed (it's a 45 rpm EP). The lyrics on this forum tend to lean heavily to story lyrics and these are definitely not that - but I like them.

[video=youtube;yYzQrfz8g2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzQrfz8g2o&feature=related

Here are the lyrics:

SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT HATS

Words by Peter Blegvad, Music by Anthony Moore

Can one wear uncanny hats?

Can one weather hats? Can

one wear feather hats?

Concentrate on irate hats

Radiate from hats. When

sated, vacate hats.

Doors of open water

elicit ooh & ahhing. Can

the wet attract a hat?

Can hats favour fire? Can

a hat aspire to higher things?

Can one pit hats against

vicious things?

liquorice fish with wings?

Can one dismiss hats as

simple things?

vapid things?

scant, evanescent things?

I should mention that the singer is Dagmar Krause, a singer who learned a few things from Lotte Lenya. This album is a collaboration between two groups - Slapp Happy and Henry Cow.

• Members

Couldn't come up with anything new for awhile. Then these two old classic horror films gave it a boost: Blood on Satan's Claw and The Devil Rides Out, both were incredibly inspiring. A new song "Sprout A Claw" emerged.

• Members

Been listening to this band a lot lately. They've had a number of hits (Money for Nothin', So Far Away, Sultans of Swing), but it is the deeper cuts that appeal to me. They have a knack for blowing past Max's 2:30 time limit yet still being compelling as hell. Listening to "On Every Street" again made me realize I had borrowed from it quite liberally when writing "Waiting to Fall".

[video=youtube;amVqlbGBHbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amVqlbGBHbw

[video=youtube;Wu4oy1IRTh8]

[video=youtube;IxS-ICzjO6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxS-ICzjO6I

• Members

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone?

I searched the world over, and I thought I'd found true love,

You met another, and PFFT! You was gone!"

200px-Hee_Haw.jpg

"Gloom, despair and agony on me-e!

Deep dark depression, excessive misery-y!

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Gloom, despair and agony on me-e-e!"

• Members

glad yall dig

Yeah! And, it does what I've been toying with in my imagination. A live mic up of a smallish ensemble, live to video. I've got to try something like this...

In the video thread I mentioned the red couch video shoot I was in last weekend. I'm told the videos will be up next week! It's the same sort of thing except less instrumentation, a couch, and random locations

• Moderators

glad yall dig

In the video thread I mentioned the red couch video shoot I was in last weekend. I'm told the videos will be up next week! It's the same sort of thing except less instrumentation, a couch, and random locations

Looking forward to seeing those.

It strikes me that, jeez, I've got a couple of Flip cameras, a full Pro Tools rig and Final Cut Pro. No reason not to mike up a little group. Record to Pro Tools. Set a couple of willing Flipographers loose in the room. Do a quick clean up mix and marry to "mulicamera video" in Final Cut. Sync would be as simple as syncing to the drummers stick click countoff.

• Members

At the first dance of the year this song packed the dance floor to the point where even the dorkiest freshman could get out there, get down, and not look like a loser.

[video=youtube;tDZy6-fMCw4]

3 1/2 years later, this was the song we had to sing before they finally let us matriculate and leave High School behind.

[video=dailymotion;x8hux]

The more accurate analog for the second clip would be the theme song from our Senior Prom, but that was "We Are The World" (it was 1985 :facepalm:) and even with the benefit of rose colored hindsight that song is such a dire piece of crap that I can't bear to post it.

• Moderators

So... I've been tapping in to the beauty of the Mandolin. I'm particularly interested in exploring some of it's more rock potential. Then this song came to mind. It's better than I remember. Relish is a really good album. Check out the intro with the drum sticks on mando strings thing... that moves into good old fashioned panned and dbl tracked mando like rock guitars.

Love this track...

[video=youtube;hbAeTywPiP4]

Archived