To My Love... from India

bee3

• Members

when you say cut out 300hz on the master what do you mean - do you mean a high pass filter and everything below 300hz is sloped off? or just a small dip at 300hz?

A small, narrow dip at 300hz.

• Members

I'll have to give it a better listen on my Ultrasones a bit later, but........

.......rather than waiting until the end it might be better to EQ each instrument to get after that mud. I always start with a High Pass Filter (HPF) and a Low Pass Filter (LPF to control those freq's. That HPF is so important as things tend to build up down there in the basement. And each instrument will have different needs regarding that 200-300 area as well.

I am ruthless about those low cuts using a fairly wide Q and sometimes taking down as much as 6 dB.......usually less.

Panning arrangement becomes pretty important with a mix like this as well.:wave:

• Moderators

For me personally... I love the verse with the fruit and the rinds.

The streets are ripe with the smell of old fruit in India

A billion people don't seem to mind

Sacred cattle roam free on the streets in India

Feeding on discarded rinds

One of the things that the older version needed, in my estimation, was a tactile experience. I see the rinds and touch them in my mind. The old fruit. The smell. The use of cattle instead of cows makes it fresh. Unlike that rotting fruit. :) I really like it. Love the clav as well. Muy funky. The pitch swoops on the Lennon vocal, the touch of Goa at the end then static out! Cool.

• Members

Thanks Lee. I still like the rinds line... maybe it was one of those things where you had to be there. There are many 'vendors' on the streets... and they just had piles and piles of fruit rinds piled all around them.

I may switch the lyric to cows though... cattle makes me think of herds of cows... and in reality, it was a single cow here and there roaming the streets.

• Moderators
Thanks Lee. I still like the rinds line... maybe it was one of those things where you had to be there. There are many 'vendors' on the streets... and they just had piles and piles of fruit rinds piled all around them.

I may switch the lyric to cows though... cattle makes me think of herds of cows... and in reality, it was a single cow here and there roaming the streets.

And your descriptive words help me to be there.

You know, when I run a query on sacred cow, cattle is the word being thrown around quite a bit. Sacred cow might be fine, but it sure would be nice to find an alternative that's still fresh.

Sacred Zebu cow

Sacred Zebu

Sacred cow

I still like sacred cattle. _m/

:idk:

• Moderators

In India the cow is sacred - it is a sacred cow.

'Sacred Cattle' would be some western commentator's term.

Not really. It isn't a term, per se, but the concept is not incongruous with Indian thinking. Still, the idea of a neighborhood sacred cow, which it sounds like he's describing here... well... perhaps the old tried and true "sacred cow" is fine. My concern was with the fact that "sacred cow" has lots of western connotations that don't apply to the matter at hand. Still, I'm sure it's fine.

• Members

I was there on business (pharmaceuticals). I was in Hyderabad for 5 days and Bangalore for 4 days. Hyderabad was the biggest culture shock I've ever endured... The poverty, the way these folks live, the crowded streets, the insane traffic... I was not a fan. The view from my hotel window (I'll post a pic) was of tin tenement housing with a common outdoor "bath" and outhouses.

Bangalore was a bit more civilized... but I can honestly say I was never happier to touch my home soil.

• Members

I was there on business (pharmaceuticals). I was in Hyderabad for 5 days and Bangalore for 4 days. Hyderabad was the biggest culture shock I've ever endured... The poverty, the way these folks live, the crowded streets, the insane traffic... I was not a fan. The view from my hotel window (I'll post a pic) was of tin tenement housing with a common outdoor "bath" and outhouses.

Bangalore was a bit more civilized... but I can honestly say I was never happier to touch my home soil.

i m from india...the country is full of poverty an corruption. crazy {censored} goes on there that people dont even know about. i cant stay too long when i go there myself....i get homesick for the good ole us just as you do....i like the tune...reminds me of the beatles....is that a wah i hear in the intro??

• Members

Not really. It isn't a term, per se, but the concept is not incongruous with Indian thinking. Still, the idea of a neighborhood sacred cow, which it sounds like he's describing here... well... perhaps the old tried and true "sacred cow" is fine. My concern was with the fact that "sacred cow" has lots of western connotations that don't apply to the matter at hand. Still, I'm sure it's fine.

I think the "western" aspect of the diction works - the song is about being a foreigner in India and being homesick - using a western term to describe an eastern reality furthers the theme of the lyric.

• Members

i m from india...the country is full of poverty an corruption. crazy {censored} goes on there that people dont even know about. i cant stay too long when i go there myself....i get homesick for the good ole us just as you do....i like the tune...reminds me of the beatles....is that a wah i hear in the intro??

That is a clavinet using Auto-wah and a touch of phaser.

• Members

I think the "western" aspect of the diction works - the song is about being a foreigner in India and being homesick - using a western term to describe an eastern reality furthers the theme of the lyric.

Sorry - but 'cattle' describes many different species of bovine. This is a sacred cow.

I'd be an idiot if as a foreigner in America, I described your prairies as fields.

• Members

I got a chance to hear this the other day -- but I didn't get a chance to write anything at the time. It had a nice, Byrds-y kind of feel.

Coincidentally, I was just on ebay trying to find a 12-string electric for cheap. Always wanted one!

Archived