To My Love... from India

bee3

• Members

Following on the really rough demo I uploaded when I was in India... I've progressed on the song a bit. Couple of things to note:

This is my very first attempt at using Addictive Drums AND Pro Tools. What a huge learning curve. I'm also playing my own bass, which I've never done (I have a blister on my thumb!). There are a few clunkers, but just wanted to get a sense of what folks thought so far.

It's not finished... you'll notice the lyrics pretty much stop at the end...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10944474

To My Love

Here in some foreign town

My situations got me down

Beggars with children all around

I don't even feel like myself

Feels like I'm someone else

Who am I to turn them down?

I'm so tired of hanging around... and my

Situation has got me down

I miss my real life in my hometown... and I

Just can't wait to get back home to my love

The streets are ripe with the smell of old fruit in India

A billion people don't seem to mind

Sacred cattle roam free on the streets in India

Feeding on discarded rinds

I'm so tired of hanging around... and my

Situation has got me down

I miss my real life in my hometown... and I

Just can't wait to get back home to my love

• Members

Hey man - sounding good, in terms of addictive drums you got some nice patters going there, maybe edit out some of the snare ghost notes in the verses as they are a little busy.... also if you go into the midi and choose "velocity" at the bottom of the editor..... select all midi and experiment making all the velocities lower, it should take some of the thump and smack out of the drums which will suit the music more

in terms of the song - yeh its on its way, sounding good, needs some more filler bits i think, and im missing your organ parts!

good work

you enjoyed it?

• Members

Hey man - sounding good, in terms of addictive drums you got some nice patters going there, maybe edit out some of the snare ghost notes in the verses as they are a little busy.... also if you go into the midi and choose "velocity" at the bottom of the editor..... select all midi and experiment making all the velocities lower, it should take some of the thump and smack out of the drums which will suit the music more

in terms of the song - yeh its on its way, sounding good, needs some more filler bits i think, and im missing your organ parts!

good work

you enjoyed it?

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the whole thing to be honest. Just figuring out sends, inserts, busses... took me forever. I haven't even begun to think about things like compression, EQ, etc...!

I didn't add any keys yet... they're on their way though. :)

Cool... I'm going to try messing with the drums tonight. There is one fill in particular that is really bothering me... I took a look at the velocity stuff but wasn't sure what to do with it. How do I know which line is associated with each part (kick, snare, hi-hat, etc...)?

• Members

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the whole thing to be honest. Just figuring out sends, inserts, busses... took me forever. I haven't even begun to think about things like compression, EQ, etc...!

I didn't add any keys yet... they're on their way though.
:)

Cool... I'm going to try messing with the drums tonight. There is one fill in particular that is really bothering me... I took a look at the velocity stuff but wasn't sure what to do with it. How do I know which line is associated with each part (kick, snare, hi-hat, etc...)?

press F7 and F8 together so you are using the correct tool.......... in the midi editor window, you will see all the (for example) snare hits (the little midi blocks) if you click one of the square you should hear the sound of it (if not there is a little picture of a speaker near the top, click this and then you can hear it

after this, just hold your mouse button down at start of track and drag it along all snare hits..... just kinda draw a line through them so they are all selected..... now they are selected, you will see only the velocities for the snare are selected, and can be adjusted at the same time

sounds complicated but its something i could "show" you in ten seconds!

• Members

I have to say, I really enjoy your Lennonesque, late 60s harmonics.

There are a few lyrical glitches.

"I miss my real life in my hometown..." is one. The accent on real sounds really forced.

Maybe you should try "I miss my life back in my hometown..."

Also, "feeding on discarded rinds..." needs to be replaced.

But other than that, the lyric is pretty damn good.

And again, your ability to write these Beatle-esque tunes that don't sound like you're ripping off the Beatles, but almost sound like they could have been Beatles songs is phenomenal.

Nice work. Really, really nice.

LCK

• Members

Actually, I just looked it up:

rind *(rnd)

n.

A tough outer covering such as bark, the skin of some fruits, or the coating on cheese or bacon.

[Middle English, from Old English.]

The cows were literally eating the fruit remains and other garbage off the street.

• Members

press F7 and F8 together so you are using the correct tool.......... in the midi editor window, you will see all the (for example) snare hits (the little midi blocks) if you click one of the square you should hear the sound of it (if not there is a little picture of a speaker near the top, click this and then you can hear it

after this, just hold your mouse button down at start of track and drag it along all snare hits..... just kinda draw a line through them so they are all selected..... now they are selected, you will see only the velocities for the snare are selected, and can be adjusted at the same time

sounds complicated but its something i could "show" you in ten seconds!

Ahh... I just followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. Well, I'll repost later tonight and you can let me know what you think of the drums.

• Members

I like it - you're good at this aren't you? :)

I agree with LCK on dropping the word 'real'

I think not 'sacred cattle' but 'sacred cows'

And again I agree with LCK that 'discarded rinds' may be technically correct but doesn't feel lyrically correct.

Maybe keep the line simple with, 'Eating what they find' or Feeding on what they find'.

• Members

I like it much more in this big, expansive style - as I pretty much felt I would. The phrasing change in the 2nd verse is superb as is bringing the tune down.

I don't know why, but that A7 in the chorus bugs me. I think I'd like it more if it was used less, so perhaps on one phrase it is there but on another you just hold the prior chord for an extra beat. FWIW, I think it works best on "got me down".

• Members

Is it the fact that its an A7... or that it moves to an A in general?

I'm having trouble picturing it without at least an A.

I'm impressed that you can just pick that out loke that though! Are you perfect pitched?

• Members

Is it the fact that its an A7... or that it moves to an A in general?

I'm having trouble picturing it without at least an A.

I'm impressed that you can just pick that out loke that though! Are you perfect pitched?

You could try it, but I think it is the move to A, not just the 7 that bugs me.

No, I don't have perfect pitch, I just know what an A7 sounds like on the guitar. FWIW, I would have referred to it as an A7 even had it been capoed because I can just tell when that fingering is being used.

• Members

No, I don't have perfect pitch, I just know what an A7 sounds like on the guitar. FWIW, I would have referred to it as an A7 even had it been capoed because I can just tell when that fingering is being used.

Really? I am frequently driven to distraction by how differently an A7 can sound on the guitar.

http://www.chorderator.com/cgi-bin/generate.py?optionsDisp=no&readableTuning=Guitar+Standard&chordName=A7&tuning=EADGBE&capo=0&size=30

• Members

Ok, just got out my guitar and am playing along.

The verse starts with A minor, the chorus ends on A major - it shifts keys a little - is that the problem?

Verse: Am - D

Chorus: F - C - D - A7

It feels like you could attack this chord progression in G, in which case the seventh on the A is strongly implied, even if you don't voice it.

• Members

This is good. Listened to it several times. I have no real gripes with the song or arrangement. I'll leave it to others to comment on the lyrics, because purely as a listening experience, it works just fine. Biggest complaint is that the vocals are a bit rough in spots and could stand some touching up, but other than that, I think the track is good as is. I wasn't sure at first whether that clavinet solo was a little too synthetic-sounding and aggressive for this type of track, but then again, it adds an element of surprise, and that's some pretty slick playing on the clav, so I'm not sure it bothers me.

There's a bit of a loose, wobbly feel on the drums, but I think it actually works for this song. BTW--this is the third thread I've noticed someone mentioning addictive drums; that software must really be impressive, because if you hadn't said anything, I probably would've been fooled into thinking they were real drums recorded in a room. Is it programmed, or did you trigger samples from a kit?

Some solid work all around.

• Members

Thanks Kurdy. I'm going to be fixing up the vocals (hopefully tomorrow). I'm going to change some of the wording as per LCK and oldgitplayer... and of course, try and tighten them up.

I've uploaded yet another version where I added some additional clav and re-did the solo. More importantly, after consulting with an engineer friend, I've tried pulling out some of the mud in the mix and adjusting the drums again.

Re: Addictive Drums, I think it's pretty realistic... my buddy the engineer also happens to be a very talented drummer and he even commented that the fills sounded like something a live drummer would play. That made me happy.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10944474

• Members

I like this tune a lot....you know me, not much to comment on lyric or chord structure.:cool:

I will comment on the mix, if you don't mind. This is a busy one. Look at your separation and your filtering to get those instruments into their own space. That vocal might work really well if you give it some room.:wave:

• Moderators

Nice job, man! But damn.. where's the SITAR? I was listening and waiting for a sitar solo! :lol:

Not sure why, but the song reminds me of Sting. lol. Maybe its the vocal phrasing.

Btw, how is the Addictive Drummer? How does it compare to something like EZDrummer?

• Members

Nice job, man! But damn.. where's the SITAR? I was listening and waiting for a sitar solo!
:lol:
Not sure why, but the song reminds me of Sting. lol. Maybe its the vocal phrasing.

Btw, how is the Addictive Drummer? How does it compare to something like EZDrummer?

I know, I know... That was my original intention... But finding a sitar sound took a backseat to my laziness. I had the clav sound at my fingertips.

The Addictive Drums is great... But I have nothing to compare it too.

• Members

I like this tune a lot....you know me, not much to comment on lyric or chord structure.
:cool:

I will comment on the mix, if you don't mind. This is a busy one. Look at your separation and your filtering to get those instruments into their own space. That vocal might work really well if you give it some room.
:wave:

I don't mind at all... in fact, I'd love some suggestions on how to clean up the mix. Can you elaborate on what you mean? I've done some panning with certain instruments... and cut out 300hz on the master fader. But I'm green when it comes to this stuff. I can use all the advice I can get.

• Members

I don't mind at all... in fact, I'd love some suggestions on
how
to clean up the mix. Can you elaborate on what you mean? I've done some panning with certain instruments... and cut out 300hz on the master fader. But I'm green when it comes to this stuff. I can use all the advice I can get.

when you say cut out 300hz on the master what do you mean - do you mean a high pass filter and everything below 300hz is sloped off? or just a small dip at 300hz?

Archived