Two batches of acoustic, fingerstyle songs, feedback welcome.

matthewsal

• Members

Hi, Matthew

Welcome to the Songwriting Forum!

I'm listening to "Golden Hair" (on YT) as I write this. I don't normally try to give extended comments on lyrics unless they're posted somewhere (too easy to get them wrong and much easier to get to the heart of the lyric with it in front of youo), but the fingerstyle guitar sounded nice. (I'd coincidentally just been listening to a batch of Celtic/Brit folk from the 60's so it fit in nicely.)

Since the purpose of posting music for critique in the forum is to get constructive critique of works in progress, we usually encourage forum members to focus on one song that's in progress (or perhaps at that point where one isn't sure if it's done) at a time, that way you may be able to get multiple viewpoints on a given work in progress, which can be really helpful, I think.

I'm the moderator of the forum, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

And it might also be worthwhile to take a look at the Welcome/Guidelines sticky thread.

• Members

Golden Hair was definitely my favorite, Matthew, and not just because I'm blonde. :) It is a beautiful tale of futile obsession.

As to the recording, the guitar is perfect, but I would bring the sound of the vocals forward. I don't know the technical term. :(

Hope you post more.

• Members

Good stuff Matthew. I thought Memory Lane was the best song of them all. (Or should I say, I liked it most).

But combining Cocaine Blues with Angie is complete sacrilege! They are both songs of my youth, and it's plain WRONG to combine them. (Just another opinion scrawled upon the wall).

• Members

The Youtube are all good live performances - not everyone can knock them out as well live as you have. You have a nice figerpicking style and the voice has a nice timbre and vibrato. Golden Hair was my favorite - it sings of yearning and other emotions that I know I've felt before... Nice Job and thanks for sharing!

• Members

I had to go back and check out the Anji*/Cocaine Blues mashup. I was decidedly charmed. I've been hearing variations on "Cocaine Blues" since the days I thought of cocaine as something you rubbed on your gum to get rid of a toothache.

And that led me to dig up "Cocain" by John Martyn, as I don't remember hearing some of those lines before -- 'though I've certainly heard plenty of variations on "Cocaine Blues" over the years.

Sounds like the mashup goes back at least as far as Martyn's version with its familiar descending "Anji" cadence.

I feel pretty certain, given his evident influences, that Matthew has probably heard the Stefan Grossman version off the John Renbourn/Stefan Grossman live album.

* Reading up on Davy Graham in Wikipedia, I'm reminded the original spelling (after Graham's GF at the time) was Angi. Bert Jansch, who learned the song from a tape of Graham given him by Graham's half-sister, who was then giving Jansch guitar lessons, misspelled it on his '65 debut album as Angie. And it was Paul Simon's later version that introduced the Anji spelling on the '66 Sounds of Silence album.

• Members

Thank you all. As it happens I'm Matthew's friend/mic stand who sorts out the internet side of things (he's not too savvy in that department) but I'll pass on your comments when I next see him. The sound quality is a little on the choppy side; it's a botched job of condenser mic + church + garageband. That said, I'd highly recommend scouting out churches as places to practice or demo. More often than not the local vicar or warden seem very happy to accommodate musicians when there's nothing going on. We recorded four more tracks this afternoon and posted them up, if anyone is keen to listen - http://matthewsal.bandcamp.com/album/surface-water

I'll ask about the Stefan Grossman version. It doesn't ring any bells at the moment? And thanks for the closure on Anji spelling! Too often these different versions get lost in misspellings and alternate histories.

Archived