Friday Influences Thread 9-16-11

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post 'em! What's making you stop and go.. oooh...

From this...

nick+lowe

to this...

Nick%20lowe%201.jpg

Nick Lowe is writing new music that surpasses his heyday. He came on during my drive time edition of Fresh Air with Terry Gross yesterday. I was moved. His songs, just singing in the studio... so perfect. And so flawed. Even more perfect. I stopped and pick up the new one right then.

There's a fine line between a relaxed cool, and an afternoon geriatric nap. How do get to 61 and keep on it? Still have something to say? Every cut on his new one is outstanding. In its delivery (think a Brit T-Bone Burrnet), its lyric, its rightness.

Nick, of course, was Elvis Costello's producer and an artist in his own right. I remember loving Lowe's What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding as sung by Costello. It was so acerbic. Ha! Elvis singing about hippie stuff. Lowe in an interview that year said, "It's not ironic or sarcastic. I mean it. And... Elvis just sounds that way no matter what he's singing."

So, no hip irony? That certainly explains how his new album The Old Magic is freaking fantastic. No irony...

I'm 61 years old now

Lord, I never thought I'd see 30

and

Must I be condemned and damned

For some long forgotten crime

Or singin' Rock of Ages with the angels

Soon after check out time

If you have a minute, check out Stoplight Roses. Don't let the lyric go by unnoticed. LCK/Lee? You listening? This is right up your alley...

I mean, really how great is:

You've dusted off your shame face

In the mirror, behind the bathroom door

That little boy lost look that used to work so well

Doesn't... anymore

If you believe your same old used to be

Will see... you through

You'll last about as long as Stoplight Roses do

[video=youtube;JMh8y5UaNf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMh8y5UaNf4

• Members

Just start with the feather eyebrows, test them out round the neighborhood... and take it from there. I love Todd's pop stuff.

We're having a birthday party tonight for my 2 year old. Maybe I'll test the eyebrows on my family first... just to be safe. Once they agree I look fantastic, I'll head out to the local bar with a guitar and ask if I can perform Hello It's Me with the local cover band.

• Moderators

We're having a birthday party tonight for my 2 year old. Maybe I'll test the eyebrows on my family first... just to be safe. Once they agree I look fantastic, I'll head out to the local bar with a guitar and ask if I can perform Hello It's Me with the local cover band.

Why not whip out a cover of All the Joy Division Fans sung in a Todd style?

• Members

Peter Wolf, ex-lead singer of J. Giels, put out the Sleepless album a few years ago. A nice roots/Americana collection. I like it all, but this song, "Nothing But The Wheel" is my favorite. "The sky's the color now of polished steel." A great image. If you're not familiar with the song, check out the back-up vocalist.

Like Lee, I have to give a nod here to NPR. I was introduced to this by a review on 'All Things Considered' one Friday afternoon.[video=youtube;oO-59By1_Rg]

• Members

[video=youtube;hP8N-eIaks0]

[video=youtube;kYmWE93xXo4]

[video=youtube;HsXLrivjeEo]

[video=youtube;5VYbRcMp4Jw]

[video=youtube;3VW-MTglbHU]

[video=youtube;nf7xij2pd9k]

[video=youtube;QBMu-_UlPGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMu-_UlPGU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE56E612BB8264709

[video=youtube;8AkMebZzzVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AkMebZzzVI&feature=related

[video=youtube;UhV8b9CID1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhV8b9CID1Y

[video=youtube;Xmhl45B4WP8]

LCK

• Members

That Peter Wolf is great. I meant to pick that up when I heard a track or two back when it came out. That's really good. He's sounds like him but... right. Is that Keith in the backgroud singing?

Close, it's Mick Jagger. First time I heard the song I thought 'this could be a Brown Sugar era Stones song - then I read the liner notes (or whatever they're called with cd's) and figured out why I thought that.

• Members

This song must have had an influence on me because I've written 3 'I'm a .....' songs so far. They are :

I'm a Corporation

I'm an Expert

I'm a good Policeman

and I have a WIP called 'I'm a friendly Banker' which is probably changing into, 'Oh what a Banker'.

Writing these songs gives me opportunity to hone irony, sarcasm, facetiousness, etc. and vent my spleen in a controlled manner on the bastards who have ruined the world for us.

BTW - Nick Lowe is playing bass on this track and of course Ian Dury and Elvis Costello are some of the other album tracks.

[video=youtube;PaeuV2MwUfY]

• Members

Guilty pleasure...

This video is so dumb... and seems to have precious little to do with the song (and anyone's guess is as good as mine as to what that is about).

But it had me laughing out loud, anyhow, if only because of the Gillamesque sets and landscapes and other sight gags.

[video=youtube;penvn9VL32Y]

Modest Mouse is one of the very few (once vaguely) contemporary rock bands who've perked up my ears in the last two decades. I can't put them in a playlist with any of the other music I listen to* because their albums are so squashed -- and one of their albums is so squashed I can't even mix it up with their own work -- every time one of the songs comes on it blows you back. I've always avoided looking up their lyrics. (Until today when I looked up the "Dashboard" lyrics just to make sure the vid above had nothing comprehensible to do with them.) But I know those lyrics beggar comprehension. Clearly the spiritual offspring of the Pixies. But, like the Pixies, there's just something irresistable to me about them.

*I might be able to put them into a playlist with Neutral Milk Hotel -- whose music I like a lot -- but the mastering on NMH albums is so wildly, incredibly incompetent and filled with horrible digital distortion of varying kinds and degrees that I can't actually listen to them and enjoy them. I have to grit my teeth to listen to them and then, later, in memory, enjoy the cool music. It's that bad.

• Members

You've dusted off your shame face

In the mirror, behind the bathroom door

That little boy lost look that used to work so well

Doesn't... anymore

If you believe your same old used to be

Will see... you through

You'll last about as long as Stoplight Roses do

Lee, you're right. I didn't check this out before.

It's very, very good. Good enough to make me wish I'd written it.

LCK

• Members

Finished the Keef autobiography a couple of weeks ago - had to throw one of my guitars into open G and rock out - Can't You Hear Me Knockin, Happy, Tumbling Dice, Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up - you know the drill :thu:

Anyway, this one put a smile on my face running through the grocery store tonight... :o

[video=youtube;JITVlrkp9yQ]

Archived