Decimator vs.Mxr smart gate? Which is better??

GibsonVMan

• Members

I have an NS2 and a Decimator and I have gone back to the NS2. The Decimator worked better in the fx loop and did not alter the tone. I like the NS2 better though because it has a loop of its own that is great for putting your noisy pedals in.

I tried using the Decimator in my Cobra loop and {censored} I forgot that the loop doesn't take pedals well. Distorted and {censored}ed up sounding, too bad because the Decimator is really pretty transparent.

• Members

I have an NS2 and a Decimator and I have gone back to the NS2. The Decimator worked better in the fx loop and did not alter the tone. I like the NS2 better though because it has a loop of its own that is great for putting your noisy pedals in.

I always thought that was for simultaneously running in front and in the loop :confused:

• Members

People really going for the N-2 huh?

I haven't seen that in a while. ISP seems to be the standard these days.

It just won't shut off fast enough when playing really loud.

Might have to do with my Floyd Rose springs vibrating and getting picked up by the pups just enough to not shut the gate down.

Meh... :idk:

• Members

It just won't shut off fast enough when playing really loud.

Might have to do with my Floyd Rose springs vibrating and getting picked up by the pups just enough to not shut the gate down.

Meh...
:idk:

You need to do yourself a favor and try a Pro Rack. :thu:

• Members

You need to do yourself a favor and try a Pro Rack.
:thu:

I've got a prorackg and it definitely shuts {censored} down but it's causing ground loops. I might try it again as the other day I discovered that the outlet at my folks place has got an open ground and that may have been causing the problem.

We shall see. :mad:

• Members

I've got a prorackg and it definitely shuts {censored} down but it's causing ground loops. I might try it again as the other day I discovered that the outlet at my folks place has got an open ground and that may have been causing the problem.

We shall see.
:mad:

Really?:confused:

Wow I never had that sort of probs with mine.

Worked perfectly in every way after I got it set up how I wanted.

• Members

Really?
:confused:

Wow I never had that sort of probs with mine.

Worked perfectly in every way after I got it set up how I wanted.

Yeah it worked pretty damn well with my 6505 and not so good with my Nitro... or was that the other way around. :facepalm:

It's been so long that I can't remember. But I remember one of them had a weird ground differential between the front and back of the amp and I had constant problems with it. I sold it and only picked up a new one when I noticed that it had ground lifts built in.

I'm gonna try it at my drummers place - the power here is just weird. :mad:

• Members

I only use the Decimator when there is fuzz or back ground whistling. I would think a technique adjustment would have you muting the strings properly instead of relying on the noise gate to cut the signal.

I rehearse loudly in a small {censored}ing room. Mute all you want - it still goes nuts.

• Members

i have a decimator which replaced my ns2 and overall i think its better. the isp is way more transparent/natural sounding and doesn't cut off your notes prematurely, but the ns2 cuts off quicker and tighter. imo, the ns2 is better for tight metal or hardcore style playing where you need that tightness. the isp can be finicky about its setting too. its easy to not have enough gate and then barely move the setting and have too much gate. for me the isp is better, but its not for everyone. i really think it depends on your playing style. i have never tried the mxr. show there is my 2 cents worth.

• Members

i absolutely love my smartgate. it's $20 more than the NS-2 but it actually works. every NS-2 i've used was garbage and this thing is amazing. i've only used a decimator once and wasn't too impressed with it. the smartgate has a couple more features on it that help me a lot.

i'd say go for the smartgate.

Archived