MONTHLY BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE: OCTOBER

stickboymusic

• Members

Well here we are again, have we really passed two months since the first one already!?

So we are now into a autumn, a beautiful month, the trees have changed colour and are saying goodbye to their leaves.

Here is the challenge.

This one is a little less disciplined so do as you wish, the only RULE is:

The song must name all 4 seasons: Spring, summer , autumn, winter (in whatever order you desire)

Been some great examples on the previous 2 challenges (and if you're still working on one its never too late to post, its not a race, hopefully just a focus)

I will try and join in on this one, i've been a little empty of late.

• Members

I've got a song that mentions all the seasons, but not specifically by name. Does that count? And can I submit it if it's already written and has been posted on Guitar Jam? It was my songwriting contest entry from last spring.

Hmmm well I guess you "could" post it as an example but it does defy the point of this monthly thread. The idea being that having something to work to when creativity or inspiration may be low is a good way to get the juices flowing.

If you want to get involved then why not use this as a chance to write a song that specifically mentions them all by name and join in!

• Members

This is a great idea! (sorry im new) I mean the whole monthly challenge thing! This could definately help me, think i'll try and getinvolved in this one.

My biggest weakness is i never know what to write about, so having the seasons idea in there is a great help for starters.

Cool! :thu:

• Members

This is a great idea! (sorry im new) I mean the whole monthly challenge thing! This could definately help me, think i'll try and getinvolved in this one.

My biggest weakness is i never know what to write about, so having the seasons idea in there is a great help for starters.

Cool!
:thu:

Ahh yes do get involved - whether its just lyrics, a rough demo or a final piece it would be great to have you involved

• Members

It's a nice fall day here. I was driving along, thinking about this challenge, and a melody popped into my head - a nice classic kind of high to low melody, with an interesting rhythm to it, enough space for lyrics and fills, with a dramatic tempo change (4/4 to 7/8) in the bridge. At lunch I took out my guitar, starting working up some chords around the melody - a little circle of fifths, not bad, massage the chord voicings, sounding good, throw in a diminished chord, nice! All of a sudden the whole thing just fell into my hands, I played it through a couple of times, really grooving with it, before I realized .....

My great new idea was Autumn Leaves. :facepalm:

• Members

I had a lyric I started... maybe last year that, I posted here but never finished. This would be a great time to do that.

Title is Suburban Trees

Chorus

Shade me in the summer

I'll pick you in fall

when the storms come

Won't you do me one favor

Keep standing tall

• Moderators

I had a lyric I started... maybe last year that, I posted here but never finished. This would be a great time to do that.

Title is Suburban Trees

Chorus

Shade me in the summer

I'll pick you in fall

when the storms come

Keep standing tall

:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

This one is a little less disciplined so do as you wish, the only RULE is:

I give you, 'less disciplined'

Play a C chord +

One autumn (or was it in the spring?) I saw Richard III.

Loved the king's opening lines :

'Now is the winter of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this son of York'

• Members

I had a lyric I started... maybe last year that

Suburban Trees

Chorus

Shade me in the summer

I'll pick you in fall

when the storms come

Keep standing tall

That's a really good snippet to start with.

LCK

• Moderators

I've used this conceit too many times to find it interesting now...

I know what you mean. It's always an issue of angle or perspective. What can you say about the seasons that hasn't been said? I figured a way to go would be to show the various things that occur on a 100 year old farm. And how the idea of resisting that will bury you. Ruled by the Season. And yeah, I think my lyric above fell short of game plan a little. But having an angle. A reason for the season, if you will, is where it's at with something like this. To figure out, to justify even, the use of the seasonal motive.

I think it's a good challenge because of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

April May

Met in Spring

I should have known

You fine young thing

Cherry bloom

Falls like snow

In your dorm room

I should have known

Summer babe

Oh that dress