Friday Influences Thread 10-14-11 ! ! !

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hey, go 'head! Post 'em!

ar-pops250x384.jpg

If you disrespect anybody that you run in to

How in the world do you think anybody's s'posed to respect you?

Hmm?

Pops Staples. Well... Mavis is the real queen of soul in my book. And Pops brought her into the world so that says something. When I was a kid, the Staples were on the radio and TV all the time. And as Mavis testified to God and the rest of us, Pops just grooved on his walnut Tele. Just too cool to be cool. Above cool. He was too busy respecting himself to worry about cool. The diff between trying and being. Pops.

Pops sings the 1st verse of Respect Yourself. I've always loved this tune cause of that. And I'm not going to lie, when the fruit of Pop's loins, Mavis, takes the 2nd... sweet Jesus! Mother Mary and Joseph! Damn!

Enjoy. And remember brothers and sisters... RESPECT YOURSELF!

[video=youtube;1II2nPmBZJk]

Note: any similarity between Barry Becket's awesome electric piano work here and my feeble attempt to cop that badass' groove on my recent Ruled by the Season are purely ... uh... Ok... ok. Never mind.

• Members

Did you hear the album Mavis did with Jeff Tweedy this year

[video=youtube;KW0kE6mucFY]

It is outstanding if you haven't given it a listen yet.

I've never been much of a Bruce Springsteen fan. I've always respected him, thought he was a great songwriter, and thought some of the live stuff was cool, but he was never an artist I would consciously choose to listen to. If you had it on, I probably wouldn't mind, but overall I was, and still am, pretty meh to his catalog.

But then this week I listened to Nebraska. Holy Balls Batman! It hasn't opened me up the rest of his catalog, but this one will see regular rotation!

[video=youtube;M3eu1gW-bQ8]

• Moderators

Ah dude... that Mavis with Tweedy is gold. She still has that little move, that little bop in her groove. Almost little girl like. She's so unique. I'm a firm believer in body rhythm to facilitate a natural groove. Damn, am I on a Staples jag or what? I'll look for that new Mavis. She's sounding great...

• Members

Ah dude... that Mavis with Tweedy is gold. She still has that little move, that little bop in her groove. Almost little girl like. She's so unique. I'm a firm believer in body rhythm to facilitate a natural groove. Damn, am I on a Staples jag or what? I'll look for that new Mavis. She's sounding great...

There are a bunch of youtube videos with them together. They did a little tour to promote the album.

Obviously her voice has always been first rate, but I kind of like it better now.

There was an interview, I can't remember if it was written or one I watched, with Tweedy where he was asked about the project. To paraphrase badly, his reply was something along the lines of, it is Mavis Freaking Staples. You could tell he was really excited.

• Moderators

Boy, server issues?

Don't look at the photo below. I said don't! It's really Jerry LaCroix I'm thinking about here.

Edgar Winter always has an interesting deal. He was the "name" but he always enjoyed sharing the spotlight. He has plenty of talent to go it alone but, in The Edgar Winter Group he had Dan Hartman who wrote and sang Free Ride among other hits for the group. Lots of confusion there.

And in the earlier White Trash band, he had Texas rhythm & blues belter Jerry LaCroix. What a freakin' stud! This tune here... Save the Planet... just dig the gospel rave up of a groove. Edgar's piano groove is awesome. But don't bail too early, listen at around 2:10... that tempo change... and that brass, and Edgar's stellar vocal responses. The choir now joined by the boys in the band singing.

This track kicks some serious gospel ass.

[video=youtube;h53n7D1YH5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53n7D1YH5E

• Members

She doesn't even wear glasses, but I love her anyhow...

[video=youtube;SI-cuKKQrN0]

Here she is with the Dharohar Project:

[video=youtube;EskBsvN5tDU]

I liked the Dharohar Project so much, I decided to reinvestigate the Mumfords but the more I hear the more their own music doesn't do anything for me. But they seem like good players and nice guys.

• Members

Pops Staples. Well... Mavis is the real queen of soul in my book. And Pops brought her into the world so that says something. When I was a kid, the Staples were on the radio and TV all the time. And as Mavis testified to God and the rest of us, Pops just grooved on his walnut Tele. Just too cool to
be cool.
Above cool. He was too busy respecting himself to worry about cool. The diff between trying and being. Pops.

Hmmm. Church music?

James Taylor said one of his major influences was the Presbyterian hymnal.

I grew up in a different religious culture, but some of those songs still get me, particularly these two.

[video=youtube;CdWg7nUud_Q]

[video=youtube;Ten80acxrkY]

[video=youtube;oS86WtNRMew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS86WtNRMew&feature=related

LCK

• Moderators

Hmmm. Church music?

Well... sure but, Muscle Shoals rhythm section gets me moving like I never did in church. I was just enjoying ou heat wave, 95 degrees, driving with the windows down and cranking the Staples. Wasn't thinking about church!

• Moderators

Mick Jones was a {censored}!

And he danced with my wife 15 years ago at a Halloween party when I was dressed as Kurt Cobain in a dress with a madeup gunshot wound to my head.(cool story, bro) I had Kurt's hair at the time. He walked up to me and said, whoa mate! May ask your girl to dance? It was a rave type party and most were more than chill, myself included, "Sure". My wife was dressed as Madonna in cones. No wonder. Big Audio Dynamite? BAD's a better moniker.

He was never the Clash. Strummer was the man. He embodied the paradox of great rock and roll. Sin and redemption. Not as opposites but part of a great life circle. Both part of the whole. Ask Cohen, Dylan, Jerry Lee and Marvin Gaye. Hallelujah and pass me a beer.

I miss Joe Strummer.

[video=youtube;zty2WxVnklI]

• Members

I thoroughly enjoyed that clip of two of my favorite guitarists, Larry Carlton & Lee Ritenour -- two 'jazz-funk' virtuosos I've never seen perform "live" (so thanks for the video, 'Old-Git-Brit-Down-Under'). And thanks, Lee Knight for leading off with the the family "Staples," featuring Pops and Mavis -- one of the best Gospel/funk bands I DID get to see "in person" in their prime (when they played in Bermuda during my decade there -- (the '70s, when "Repect Yourself" was recorded).

A Google and a YouTube link later, and I was taken to Larry Carlton & Lee Ritenour's other live performances, and . . . lo and behold -- another of my musical heroes you may never have heard-of, "Vic Wooten."

This will only take a minute of your time: Victor's astute reflection on 'why people don't like bass solos' -- why they'd prefer to "go out and get a drink." An experience Mr. Wooten has NEVER had!

[video=youtube;2U2cOVgaKBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2cOVgaKBM

He is, I predict, the greatest bass player you will ever see

• Members

I've never been much of a Bruce Springsteen fan. I've always respected him, thought he was a great songwriter, and thought some of the live stuff was cool, but he was never an artist I would consciously choose to listen to. If you had it on, I probably wouldn't mind, but overall I was, and still am, pretty meh to his catalog.

But then this week I listened to Nebraska. Holy Balls Batman! It hasn't opened me up the rest of his catalog, but this one will see regular rotation!

You seriously need to get hold of "the ghost of tom joad" album if you like his folkier side.

I can't decide if this is an influence or a reason to give up

[video=youtube;Q3VjaCy5gck]

• Members

For me, Mavis and Pops made this an entirely different song:

[video=youtube;Z1Ah7tVDlSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ah7tVDlSk

LCK, as I was reading through the thread and saw Eric Gale, my first thought was "Late in the Evening", and there it was. I also think his playing on "One Trick Pony" makes that song as well.

[video=youtube;sfv3kBzJZgU]

What a great band this is. Steve Gadd (my favorite drummer), Tony Levin, Richard Tee and Eric Gale. Wow

• Members

Towards the end of the 70's I thought I had just about heard it all - every genre of music.

And then someone introduced me to Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett, and the whole ECM stable of musicians and their way of exploring music.

I was completely blown away and spent years listening predominantly to this genre.

This is one piece that always took me somewhere - and still does.

[video=youtube;55uF_GXxIWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55uF_GXxIWI

• Moderators

I was going to post that in conjunction with Respect Yourself in the OP but figured I'd hone it down. Thank you for that. Yeah, the Staples sound like they were always part of that record. Amazing, such an iconic tune and they come along and own it along with Robertson and company. One of the great rock moments captured on film. Mavis and Pops dig right in...

Archived