Trying something new...does it work??

stickboymusic

• Members

So when inspiration is a little low i like to try new things

So i programmed a simple beat, dirtied it up.... stuck some guitars down, freestyled some lyrics and.....

created a new side project (dedex)

Do you think I can carry this style off.... im happy to scrap it if not?

Its not a finished song but a new "sound" for something different

What you say?

[video=youtube;vGVU6vmlWwM]

• Members

The drums sounds pretty lousy on their own--they fit into the mix well, but when they're exposed, it sounds like a poorly programmed beat. I think you've got a good sense for the style, and could, at the very least, learn something from exploring it further.

Cool yeh I have spent no time on this just did it for fun but may do some more in the same style

Poorly programmed? Its just a simple loop i programmed and gridded so not sure what CAN go wrong there!?

• Moderators

Well I think it's freaking great! Yeah, there's that subversive Lennon thing, and believe it not, a little David Essex Rock On. Not just the delay but how you sing it. It's kitschy but cool. the hard panned riff, what is that??!??! Guitar through a Leslie or keys? Well, it's way too hip! I love it. I'd find spot to layer big sub kicks for a lift. The big beat stuff is great but needs a little oomph. Keep going!

And speaking of which, you could go either way with this. Go left and make it an edgy pop song. Go right and make it an update of the Chemical Bros... or a little of both!

• Members

I meant it sounded amateur--overly rigid and unoriginal. Which is not a bad way for a beat to be, but it shows when there's no other instruments fleshing it out.

Ahh yeh cool - it started as nothing and just a base to put stuff on - if i carry it on it will be addresses.... not even got a cymbal in there yet

• Members

Well I think it's freaking great! Yeah, there's that subversive Lennon thing, and believe it not, a little David Essex Rock On. Not just the delay but how you sing it. It's kitschy but cool. the hard panned riff, what is that??!??! Guitar through a Leslie or keys? Well, it's way too hip! I love it. I'd find spot to layer big sub kicks for a lift. The big beat stuff is great but needs a little oomph. Keep going!

And speaking of which, you could go either way with this. Go left and make it an edgy pop song. Go right and make it an update of the Chemical Bros... or a little of both!

Ha! yeh just guitar going through a rotary sim - i wanna make it hip!..... im im hip enough!

• Members

No... you are
too
hip. So hip you're
scary
hip. You're

OK, so how come I can't get my slap to ever sound like that on vocal?!?!? What's the secret? Are you just using the Digi delay or some fancy ass megaplugthing?

Im using this

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/nectar/

And just a preset..... nothing else on vox as this does the delay, verb, compression, excitement

Download the demo (works full for 10 days) highly recommend

• Members

So anyway... where do you go from here on it? Do you write complementing sections like a pop tune or do you go into breaks? What's next?

Im not sure - it was never going to be a song

maybe i will shelf it and write something in this style

or

maybe i should work on it see where it takes itself

• Moderators

Im not sure - it was never going to be a song

maybe i will shelf it and write something in this style

or

maybe i should work on it see where it takes itself

Not to drool too much but I like what you've written a lot. Of course I have no idea what the words are but that's not hampering my enjoyment of it. :)

• Members

Not to drool too much but I like what you've written a lot. Of course I have no idea what the words are but that's not hampering my enjoyment of it.
:)

Yeh - i do feel with these sort of songs the mood and delivery is more important than the actual lyrics

sure they should make sense and mean something, but they arent the main focus of the song

• Moderators

Feel to free to bust some rhymes off of this...

Crochet patterns, Crochet yarn

Crochet hooks and such.

I can hardly wait to create

I love to crochet so much.

Patterns here , patterns there

Patterns patterns every where.

Which one should I do today,

one forwear or one for play.

Trying to decide once more,

should I make one or should I make four.

Why not a fridgie, how 'bout a hat?

Should I make this or should I make that?

Decisions, decisions what do I do?

Make a potholder, or should I make shoes?

Oh but the color, red, white or blue

Someone please help me I'm counting on you.

Sometimes I wonder why I love it so.

I guess it's the challenge

Could be, don't you know

Archived