Mr Bees song COFFEE.... my take on it

stickboymusic

• Members

Well i did a bit of tidying on Bees song "coffee" that he posted a few days back

I since decided to do my own mix on it how i personally would have it.

I like it nice and bare (the song NOT Mr Bee!) I think it really shows what a cool voice he has!

Anyway i sent it him and i think he may be in a quandry as to which he prefers and suggested posting here.

Well shoot away.

My Version

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=977998&songID=11203134

And Mr Bees version

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2842699-Coffee-(Stickboy-Remix)

P.s I know this isnt really a mixing forum!

• Moderators

Yeah, I love it... even more than pointing out anyting about Bee's mix, it makes the point of what a cool tune it is. But specificaly about the mix, you've really opened it up. The Rhodes piano just pops out at key moments. The vocal is up front without being too loud, thanks to the open soundscape. Me digs yer work StickTone.

• Members

Not being someone who knows much about studio mixes, I didn't think I would be able to provide any useful comment here.

But I thought - let me just listen as a layperson. Not even someone with a special interest in music.

I think bee's fuller and more lush mix sounds better and is more suited to the song's emotional content.

Stick's remix is an interesting exercise, and the song still sounds wonderful.

There is more definition of each instrument and vocal harmonies, but it feels more like a collection of parts when compared with bee's mix which feels more of a single entity.

So my preference is for bee's mix.

• Members

Yeh i replayed the bass part.... i like a lot of middle and roundness in my bass - personal taste i guess

And... you play it much better than I!!! I seriously don't know anything about bass playing. I can't even read the neck of a guitar/bass... so to do my take on the song was quite painful. That, coupled with the fact that I have a cheap Cort bass where all the pots need to be replace because they're scratchy, and I can't even really adjust the tone... well, it says it all.

• Members

And... you play it much better than I!!! I seriously don't know anything about bass playing. I can't even read the neck of a guitar/bass... so to do my take on the song was quite painful. That, coupled with the fact that I have a cheap Cort bass where all the pots need to be replace because they're scratchy, and I can't even really adjust the tone... well, it says it all.

I thought your bass playing was fine..... was a bit muddy sounding for me but if you are stuck in a muddy tone position then that makes sense ;)

• Members

I like Stick's better. The harmonies got a little thick for my taste in Bee's version and Stick's just feels a little tighter.

Most importantly, though, is that when I listen to stuff like this it makes me want to put you guys on retainer to help put together my stuff. How's $10 a year sound for you guys? Each, of course.

• Members

I like Stick's better. The harmonies got a little thick for my taste in Bee's version and Stick's just feels a little tighter.

Most importantly, though, is that when I listen to stuff like this it makes me want to put you guys on retainer to help put together my stuff. How's $10 a year sound for you guys? Each, of course.

Im free of charge for the select few - you make the grade

• Members

I feel the same way. Things seemed a little muddied in Bee's mix. The bass and organ stand out more in Stick's, though I think I'd like to hear a bit more of the vocal than Stick's version has.

Nicely done everyone!

LCK

• Members

I'm re-visiting this thread, because the majority are in favour of Stick's version and I'm in favour of bee's. So I'm thinking that these are old hands and know what they are doing, so I'm probably wrong.

No - I've listened to both tracks again and evaluated once more. There is no doubt that Stick's is technically superior. I really enjoy the clarity of some of the instrumentation and how they work as parts. But there is something lacking in the whole.

The verses have become a bass / snare doomf - crash, doomf - crash plod and completely annihilate the morning languid drifting mood of the lyric which is appropriately supported by bee's lush mix.

The lyric and mix has a certain mood that works emotionally, and I think Stick's mix loses that and substitutes only a technical superiority.

I think its emotional strength would also be its commercial strength.

There may be a 3rd mix solution :cool:

Archived