Broken Hearted Breadcrumbs

grace_slick

• Members

She's baaaaack!:cool:

I'm hearing some newfound confidence in your voice, Grace. Those are some serious notes that you go after there.........with great success, I might add. I particularly like the subtleness of the vocal presentation....how you take us from a confidently belted high note down to a very expressive softer phrasing. If I knew anything about singing that might make a bit more sense.

Also.......I have always been impressed by your arrangements and this one definitely did not disappoint.

It's a good song. It very effectively blends the playfulness of some of your more vintage productions with the more serious sensibilities of your more recent works.

I'll hang back and let our most excellent wordsmiths hash out any possible lyrical revisions.

:wave:

• Members

Wait, her name is not actually Grace? That changes EVERYTHING!

It's not Kate either. (I don't think...)

Lovely to hear you again, Grace. You and your lovely, lovely voice. Very nicely done.

I'm not sure I disagree with Rickidoo (as stick does) about those rushed syllables.

But other than that -- YAY!

LCK

• Members

Hi Grace. Since I am relatively new here this is the first I've heard of your work. Wow, the singing, lyrics and melodies are wonderful. The only thing I have to offer is in the slightest way. That would be at times I felt a haunting presence. I would enjoy

just a wee more bit of that. You have such a fantastic voice. If you have been away for awhile please stay as I am anxious to hear more.

• Members

One thing I'm still mulling...the harmonic and melodic shift in the first two lines of the chorus didn't sit right the first time I heard it. It didn't bother me as much as the song went on and I got used to it in subsequent iterations. Still, though, I get the feeling that the song would have a little more "oomph"(catchiness?) if the chorus went to a more traditional place musically. I wish I had the ear and theory background to spell out exactly what I'm thinking. I'm probably thinking the IV chord instead of whatever that chord is that you used (III?). I understand if you were trying to get away from that predictability, but as it stands now, the chorus sounds more like a bridge, which tends to confuse me as a listener.

I have to disagree with you MU. I think it works this way. Also it's very much Grace's way of doing melody.

When you listen to her body of work and know one of her key influence's work, then it's all good. It is by working outside of what our ear melodically expects, that these works make their way in a predictable world that expects the safe and familiar.

Grace rocks.....:cool:

• Members

I have to disagree with you MU. I think it works this way. Also it's very much Grace's way of doing melody.

When you listen to her body of work and know one of her key influence's work, then it's all good. It is by working outside of what our ear melodically expects, that these works make their way in a predictable world that expects the safe and familiar.

Grace rocks.....
:cool:

This post is so, so nice. I actually am a bit worried myself about how I do melodies over the chords I choose. Sometimes I wonder whether they're too samey or boring or just plain weird, but not in a good way. I think this is a major musical shortcoming of mine, but if you like it, then thank god for that! lol

• Members

Grace rocks.....
:cool:

Hmmm...I get the desire to stay away from the safe and familiar. This definitely is not a bubblegum pop song, so you want to avoid that familiar collection of harmonic and melodic cliches. Still, the song isn't quite working for me, and I'm pretty sure the chord choices in the chorus are the reason. It feels like we're starting out on a journey, but the car never really leaves the driveway. I'm not sure how to change that without falling back on the tried and true. Maybe that's just my lack of sophistication and country-ish music sensibilities coming through. I don't want to bash the song, though, because I really do like the bulk of it.

• Members

Maybe that's just my lack of sophistication and country-ish music sensibilities coming through.

I doubt that you lack sophistication in your musical tastes, but I think we are all subject to a certain amount of cultural conditioning, and are left wired to be more receptive to certain melodic combinations. I know I have my limitations.

• Members

Yeah, this is it I think.

I also get the feeling, on not just this song but many others of mine, that I don't get the chorus really GOING. It's just not...THERE somehow. It doesn't click completely with the song. And I don't know how to get it to do that. It frustrates and disappoints me.

This morning as I was walking to work, I had that song Gold in my head (John Stewart & Stevie Nicks)...and I was thinking nothing particularly much about it except I don't know if I could sing a song like that...even if I could write one. And yet it's not that I don't WANT to do a song like that. But I just can't hear myself doing it. My voice doesn't go there, somehow. And maybe I can't write proper choruses because my voice is too weird to sing more "normal" things, which is often what a chorus needs.

Archived