On the Day I Lost Myself - I Found You

rickidoo

• Members

PLAY: (On) The Day I Lost Myself - I Found You

December Blockbuster

very interesting experience. It's like I took a day off from writing serious. The thing is, I did not know I had been serious... until I wrote this. strange. I DON'T want to be serious, ever.

LYRICS

I said to Stick

I'm so damn bored and feeling so blue

He said dear Rick

Here is something you can do

Write a song

On the day I lost my self - I found you

Where should I start

To really make a cool little tune

How should I play

And what would Paul McCartney do?

Should I make it like Pink Floyd

But on the lighter side of the moon?

CHORUS:

On the day I lost my self

I found you

Inst.

CHORUS x 2

• Members

Ha I DO love your music.... i was totally surprised when I saw your vids.... for some reason I had you down as being younger (no offence!) there is a certain youthful charm to your way with a song.... i find it very appealing.

Thanks Stick!

• Members

That's cute. And very creative the way you made the title work in a song that has nothing to do with falling in love.

I found it amazing that, even though the song follows a pretty basic 12-bar, I-IV-V structure, I still heard "McCartney" in the melody hook (and I'm not talking about the lyric reference to McCartney). I heard it immediately the first time you went through the "do do do" stuff in the intro. It's that highest note that you hit twice at the end of the melody line. Not that it's bad at all. It's very subtle and it gives an interesting flair to what might otherwise be a ho-hum musical arrangement. I'm just fascinated by how much I hear McCartney-like melodies in your work, and how difficult it is to put my finger on what makes them sound that way.

• Members

That's cute. And very creative the way you made the title work in a song that has nothing to do with falling in love.

I found it amazing that, even though the song follows a pretty basic 12-bar, I-IV-V structure, I still heard "McCartney" in the melody hook (and I'm not talking about the lyric reference to McCartney). I heard it immediately the first time you went through the "do do do" stuff in the intro. It's that highest note that you hit twice at the end of the melody line. Not that it's bad at all. It's very subtle and it gives an interesting flair to what might otherwise be a ho-hum musical arrangement. I'm just fascinated by how much I hear McCartney-like melodies in your work, and how difficult it is to put my finger on what makes them sound that way.

PSST: Do you want to know a secret? :-)

The melody of this song is based on two songs I wrote when I was 14 or 15, which was the same year that the Beatles released Abby Road, and definitely before McCartney cut his groove deep with his particular solo style.

And so when I decided to resurrect my two youth-written song snippets to create this song I thought to myself... Ah ha!... they won't find any McCartney here!!! At last! (Although I did sneak in a brief McCartney falcetto in the Chrous before last as a joke to myself. )

Thanks for listening to the song!

• Members

PSST: Do you want to know a secret? :-)

The melody of this song is based on two songs I wrote when I was 14 or 15, which was the same year that the Beatles released Abby Road, and definitely before McCartney cut his groove deep with his particular solo style.

And so when I decided to resurrect my two youth-written song snippets to create this song I thought to myself... Ah ha!... they won't find any McCartney here!!! At last! (Although I did sneak in a brief McCartney falcetto in the Chrous before last as a joke to myself. )

Thanks for listening to the song!

So we finally get to the bottom of it...Paul has been ripping you off! ;)

Seriously, I realize you aren't trying to sound like Sir Paul; the two of you just have similar melodic sensibilities. Plus, after listening to several of your songs, I'm probably primed to hear that influence whether it's really there or not. I'm impressed that you came up with that melody at such a young age.

Archived