idj2....worth it or crap?

hbart88

• Members

my music partner and i are preparing to do live shows. we figured that one of us would dj and mix our songs while the other would do vocals and play an instrument. the only problem is, non of us has ever dj'd before...we want to learn as much as possible;as soon as possible, but we dont want to waste our money with worthless junk. with about a 1000 dollar budget, we want a setup that can play our original songs (either by cd or mp3) and also attach a vinyl player for authentic hip hop scratching. we were thinking of buying the idj2 to play our songs while acting as a mixer, and getting a technics 1200 for the real scratching.

So i guess the question is, is this a good setup for live shows and for starting out/learning, or am i way off course with this?:facepalm:

• Members

I have an iDJ2 that I basically just use for house parties and minimal rig type DJ work just because its a single and relatively light weight unit to cart around (compared to my normal rig - pair of SL1000s, pairs of CDJ1000s and a pioneer mixer).

TBH I dont really like using it - the buttons are quite spoungey (which I hate) and no fx etc and you need to run a library program on the imported music from your PC.

Im not sure its the kind of thing I would look for for your intended use, but it would probably work.

If you ar not DJs/turntablists, then why are you thinking of scratching? Actually you may be better of gettig a much cheaper standton or numark record deck intend for that sort of use - while the SL1200 is my favourite deck to DJ off, I cant really see the point of you getting one - just making things harder for yourself, unless you particularly want to take the time to really learn to 'play' a quality deck.

Yes - they are excellent decks - the best IMHO for proper DJ use, but they are also rather minimal compared to some of the far new feature laden blingy alternatives that may suit you better, and be far easier for you to do what you need. Also the cross fader feel on the iDJ2 isnt really what I go for as a tuntablist crossfader - too much resistance making precise cutting while scratching a little harder.

Archived