Would a new Peavey XXX 112 combo for $450.00 be a good buy?

67mike

• Members

Hi Guys:

I have ZERO experience with the newer generation Peavey stuff.

A local shop has a Peavey XXX 112 Combo that I can pick up for $450.00 NEW. (I am in Canada and the normal price is $890.00)

I play occasionally, and most stuff is classic hard rock.....No jazz, no deathmetal.

I want an amp that will give me some great distorted and also some good clean sounds.

What do you think?????

• Members

I think $450 is a bit much. I sold one of these earlier this year for around $400 though. They are actually really good little amps, and I agree that they sound best with the JJ ecc83s, which is a tube I don't usually like. It really works well in this amp though, cuts the fuzz right out.

Really, the best tone I found with the amp was with a lower output PAF style pickup, no boost, the JJ tubes and a Warehouse V30. The amp has actually got a very nice clean channel as well. Depending on what you are looking for, it could be a good amp for you, or it may not. Either way I would personally try to pay $400 or less for it.

• Members

This price of $450 whether it's worth is all depends on if we're talking about the 60 watt 1x12 model,(true 3 channel) the 40 watt 1x12 model(2 1/2 channel, no effects) or the 40 watt EFX 1x12 model.(2 1/2 channel with built-in effects) If it's the 60 watter or the EFX 40 watter versions I'd say yea, if not like Aibric has stated, I'd ask if they will go $400.

Oh yea, I'd second Mustaine-Who's advice as far as retubing the amp, JJ's will clear the amp up and give it some more balls nicely. Some KT77s will give the power amp a nice kick in the ass and a ECC832/12DW7 in V2 is just what the doctor ordered for the incredible amount of gain this amp has on tap.(i.e. too damn much!)

• Members

Yeah I was talking about the 40-watt EFX, which is what I have owned. It and the 40 watt non-fx sound different than the other XXX models.

Yes, I've found the same as well to be true of the 40 watters due to the 2-1/2 channel preamp setup. However, I feel the price is worthy for the EFX version, especially if it has the corresponding footswitch to allow for setting up presets on the amp with it's DSP effects. The 60 watt 1x12 version is pretty difficult to come by so the $450 would be a good deal if that is the particular Triple XXX combo the OP is referring to.

• Members

I recently came across a 60 watt 3 channel XXX combo at a local Sam Ash for $500.. Seemed pretty rare.. I have the head, and they are definitely different, expecially the crunch channel.. The 60 watt was like the head in that it needed some volume to really start sounding good.. I was really interested in it for a smaller practice tube head, but I didnt find it sounded very good at practice levels..

• Members

i have the 60 watt true 3 channel version with reverb.

i think i got it for around 500 back in '04-'05 or so can't remember. so yeah brand new that IMO is a good deal.

but as far as it playing classic rock it is passable at most for me at least but i am a majority metal player with some classic rock thrown in

good amp and pretty versatile for my needs anyway.

i'd say play it if possible because i say that is good deal.

Archived